Need of new battery? If yes, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Go with an AGM. I get rid of that silly lead-acid garbage at every opportunity I get. Not saying it doesn't work. It's just messy an not nearly as durable.
There are lead and acid in an AGM. The Glass Mat is the major difference. .

Last edited:
If the open circuit voltage and charging voltage is good then watch the cranking voltage. If it drops below 11v then the battery is on the way out. 10.5v is usually the point that the relays start clicking when you try to crank.

You may have plenty surface voltage but limited capacity.

Good news, bad news: I have a brand new battery to install in the car.

The battery did not charge during the night, the Bosh C3 charger seems to not work anymore (Miata's battery is dead too).
I checked this morning with a voltmeter and it was at 11.9V (12.0V on the scangauge).

Thanksfully, piano lesson is only half an hour and the coolant was at 65C when I arrived over there (battery at 12.2V engine off), so I was able to restart no problem later (ext temp is -18C today).

Costco had no H8 battery, only H6 at 129$, so I went first at CT (I knew how much it is at Walmart). Filthy aisle, unable to find and understand which battery they have until I finally found one, their top of the line, at 240$.
So I went at Walmart and bought the everstart Maxx-H8 for 150$. After the taxes and the recycling fee, it was 190 CAD$.

Strange thing, you are not allowed to return it for exchange or refund, the counter woman wrote it on my invoice and then explained it on the phone to someone else. Is it an usual way to do for batteries?
She checked in her book that the right battery size is H6 for my car, but H8 batteries can fit too.

I wanted to buy it just in case of (not to go back again in case I really needed it later, -10 to -15C all week long next week) and make mine work in the meantime, but it seems it would be easier to do the swap now since I cannot return it.

A new charger is next on my shopping list, it seems. They had three different types from the same brand at Walmart: One with 6A max, one with 10A max and the last one with 20A max for a fast charge (2A for slow charge and 4 or 6A for medium speed charge).
If I cannot find why the Bosch C3 charger does not work, which one is better to buy to recharge and then maintain the Miata's battery for the winter and then use it to recharge the factory BMW battery (I will use it to test my leds works for now)?

It seems I am not as good as I thought electrically side, so your inputs are welcomed.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Strange thing, you are not allowed to return it for exchange or refund, the counter woman wrote it on my invoice and then explained it on the phone to someone else. Is it an usual way to do for batteries?

Sounds strange. What if it is defective? Still can't return it?

Sorry, can't really help you with the charger thing, other than reading somewhere that high amp charging may be harmful to your car electronics, but I have found no actual proof of it. I'm using a 2A charger/maintainer on mine. Charging a drained battery takes a long time, but just for top-ups and maintaining it's plenty. And it does have temperature compensation and desulfation.

BTW, that particular Bosch C3 doesn't have very good reviews on Amazon. Look into CTEK, which I believe is the brand that BMW recommends. Of course there are other good charger/maintainer brands out there, too.

From what I understand, if it is defective, you have to bring your car and they will check the car and the battery... and probably try to blame either the car or your installation. They will replace it if this is the battery but no refund.

As for the charger, I was aiming for the lowest one... and the cheapest one, but was just wondering if it was enough for a depleted battery.
Time is not an issue as I will sadly only use the Miata in a few months.

Probably better check the online reviews before buying this time :).

Thanks QP for all the help.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
3) On very cold days an engine with 10W-xx oil in the crank case may crank slower than an engine with 5W-xx or 0W-xx. 0W-xx is the best oil for cold weather starts.

And as per his signature, he is using 0w-30.
smile.gif

Yea, I missed the signature when I wrote that. I did ketch it later, too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back