Clint Bowyer on Daytona qualifying: 'It's idiotic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clint Bowyer:"It's idiotic to be out here doing this anyway. There's no sense in trying to put on some cute show for whatever the [censored] this is. Then you've got a guy out there in desperation doing this [censored] like this. There's no reason to be out here.

Kurt Busch: "We gotta find a better system. So much hard work goes into these cars, and it seems like it's a roulette system."

Tony Stewart tweeted: "Today use to be about showcasing the hard work from the teams over the winter. Now it a complete embarrassment for our series. #NASCAR"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nas...fying/23456557/

NASCAR is just like wrestling. The show is more important than the event. They've got people talking about qualifying. Mission accomplished.

I wonder how long it will take the idiots who run NASCAR to issue a fine and a press release over what Tony tweeted.

In 3...2...1...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Does it actually bother you?

Yes it does. Organizations like NASCAR,NHRA, the NBA, NCAA, PGA,NHL,Japan Sumo Association, etc. are to provide a professional and fair atmosphere for the sport....

For example the NFL instilled rules to punish those who wish to *unprofessionally* flaunt after a touchdown.

NASCAR is not a promoter, never should have been, they are simply there to govern rules that protect the participants from harm, and cheating. Common rules that everyone must abide by to reward the most successful player.

The only ONLY way NASCAR will change is if the teams and drivers leave...think IndyCar or Lehman's. Oh, and IndyCar effectively destroyed CART, and CHAMPcar.

Open wheel racing will make a comeback, because NASCAR is making stupid moves. Then I can enjoy my Mobil 1 commercials about superior oil performance, rather than Budweiser commercials during a NASCAR "race".

Last edited:
I've watched NASCAR for over 40 years but these qualifying stunts are stupid. From the responses I've read not many like the qualifying. I changed the channel and watched Illinois basketball. I looked at Jayski's to find out who won the pole.

I enjoy Nascar racing but I don't know what they were thinking with the new qualifying rules today! Total joke!

Gordon on the Pole, Hollywood couldn't have scripted it better
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
crackmeup2.gif

Like Austin Dillon last year and Danica the year prior.

What's the qualifying process that has people upset ?

Not familiar with either the process or the issues.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

umm you ruin muti-million dollar machines on the first lap? OTHERS can mess with your lap time by blocking.

The Ideal behind qualifying is to see if the driver and the car is ready for the real race..... putting everyone out there at once just makes it a huge clusterfock...

Last year NASCAR switched to group qualifying with rounds similar to F1. This was the first time they did it at Daytona for the 500. The only problem is at Daytona and Talladega NASCAR runs a restrictor plate under the throttle body to keep the speeds down. The way to get fast lap times is to run in a big pack to take advantage of the huge slipstream. The field is split into 2 groups and each group is given 5 minutes in the first round. What happens is you get all the cars idling at the end of pit lane waiting so they can leave and get up to speed with their group so they can be the last one to get in a fast lap. You also have cars trying to group each other based on their manufacturer, ie all the Toyota cars work together, or team and technical alliance cars, it Penske Racing and Wood Brothers.

In the first session, there was an accident on track between a front runner, Clint Bowyer, and a backmarker, Reed Sorensen. It wrecked both cars and caused a red flag with under 2 minutes left in the session. Per NASACR's rules, the field was frozen when the flag came out and anyone on a hotlap had their time voided. By the time the green flag came back out, the cars could not get a fast lap and almost all the cars from the first session didn't advance.

crackmeup2.gif

Could the "Jeff Gordon Retirement" storyline be one that NASCAR milks all year, only to hear late in the season that Gordon is having second thoughts?

Thanks bdcardinal...sounds like motorised rollerball.

You need a Toohey's top ten shootout to liven the crowd up.

Thanks bdcardinal...sounds like motorised rollerball.

You need a Toohey's top ten shootout to liven the crowd up.

They used to do single car qualifying, and switched to the group thing first at the two road courses in 2013, then in every track except Daytona and Talladega last year. They did the group qualifying at the Talladega fall race last year and it was just as bad a cluster as it was this weekend at Daytona. there were cars that didn't qualify for the race because they timed it wrong and never set a lap time.

The group qualifying things works great at every track except Daytona and Talladega. The simple fact that you need to run in a pack to make speed increases the crash danger exponentially.

Daytona 500 qualifying is already complicated enough. they allow in a max of 43 cars, and usually somewhere around 50, this year 49, show up to qualify. What had always happened was single car qualifying was done the Sunday before the race. That session set the front row and then set the starting places for the "Budweiser Duel" races held the Thursday before the race. In those races, the field is split into two smaller groups and they each run a 150 mile, 60 lap, qualifying races. Out of those races, the 15 top finishers each qualify for the Daytona 500. Then they take the top 4 cars who set the fastest single car qualifying times who did not qualify on Sunday or in their Duel race. The balance of the field at that point is set by provisional spots determined by car owner's points from the previous season and a previous series champion provisional.

The change this year took the single car qualifying on Sunday and changed it to a group knockout qualifying. They still do the whole Budweiser Duel thing on Thursday and they still keep the 4 fastest times from Sunday. Confused yet?

Normally this is not an issue at the other 35 races because only 43-45 cars show up so it is more cut and dry. The champion's provisional was added in the 80s after Richard Petty did not qualify for a race. NASCAR could not fathom having their King not be in a race. Then the max field size was 42, so they changed the official rule to be 42+1 prior champion. Occasionally you have a prior champion who is semi retired, and will run only a handful of races, so it assures them they will qualify. The strange caveat to the rule is that is the "most recent prior champion who failed to qualify" so if you had Bobby Labonte, 2000 champion, show up and then lets say for some reason Tony Stewart 2002, 2005, 2011 champion, failed to qualify, he would get the provisional instead of Labonte.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
crackmeup2.gif

Like Austin Dillon last year and Danica the year prior.

Are you saying it was rigged? I find it hard to believe that 40 some other drivers allowed them to qualify on first.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Are you saying it was rigged? I find it hard to believe that 40 some other drivers allowed them to qualify on first.

Not saying it was rigged. But all the tin foil hat wearing people thought it was rigged last year and the year prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back