Would you buy a used car battery for $50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a Duracell one... I think it says ProCell.. I believe that, if I buy it, and let it charge a few days on my CTEK battery charger, that it will do just fine. (I also charge the NAPA battery I got replaced up that way, as well. It is sitting in the cold, but it is sitting fully charged, so it should be ok.)

In the interest of saving money.

My main question, is, in the Honda, if buying a $50 battery would be wise.

Would you?

+1 does it need a battery?

My grandfather worked for years in Newark and uused to speak of such batteries as having a 24 hr warranty... Just enough to get you home and go buy another...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
+1 does it need a battery?

My grandfather worked for years in Newark and uused to speak of such batteries as having a 24 hr warranty... Just enough to get you home and go buy another...

Motorcycle repair warranties used to consist of "Guaranteed until you get it out the door......And don't fire it up in here!"

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
My main question, is, in the Honda, if buying a $50 battery would be wise.

Are you OK with just kissing that $50 goodbye? Because that is a big gamble.

No I would not, unless I absolutely had no choice. As in my family were stranded in the middle of nowhere and if I didn't buy the battery we would be in much more dire circumstances. Just save up for another month or two and buy a new battery.

If the battery has a recent date stamp and the seller can provide a solid reason why the battery is up for sale I might consider it, such as a totaled vehicle that is being parted out, possibly the battery was just replaced, but I would never buy a used battery with a date code older than 3 years.

If you had an advance auto parts near by you can get a autocraft silver for only a little more with coupon codes regularly going around.

If you have an Interstate Distributor call and see if they have a" blem "in your size. Got one three years ago for $40 plus tax $43.50. Started all this winter and was -6 degrees this morning. Changed in their lot since core charge was $13. Warranty was 6 months.

I'd buy a use battery if I knew the history of the vehicle it came out of and confirmed the date code. 1 year old would be my limit for a $50 battery. Quite honestly I'd haggle it down or buy a new one if I couldn't get it for less.

Advance auto coupon code WD57= 50$ off $125, grab the autocraft battery that fits and pad order up to $125 with whatever you want like oil filter or something small and walk out with a great battery for about $75 with a real warranty

I've bought used batteries for cars I've flipped. Those $900 gems always have a shot battery.

I thought junkyards sold them for less? At $50, I don't think it's worth it unless it's just 6 months old or something like that. If you can wait, there's always the rare $50 off $100 code that AAP has about once every month or so. Only lasts for a day or two so you have to be quick. Got one last time at AAP for $62, normally it would have been $72 with a filler to go over $125. I would think a junkyard would be $20-$40. Plus AAP installs it for you.

You can probably find a new battery for not much more than that. So buying a used battery for that amount of money would be downright foolish.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
You can probably find a new battery for not much more than that. So buying a used battery for that amount of money would be downright foolish.

Spending that money on the vehicle he intends on putting it in is foolish period considering the derelict condition of the Expedition that they are adamant on continuing to drive
smirk.gif

If your car is a stick shift and it will roll start (some won't for security reasons) and you know how, maybe.

Though the junkyard by me gets $25 and I have the fancy HF impedance tester.

Your battery must be pretty bad if the thieves didn't keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back