LiquiMoly Mos2 for gears in gear case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing a build on my Honda Elite scooter. Part of this requires replacing the rear gears with a different ratio. Therefore, new oil.

Honda recommends 10w40 oil in the small gear case. It only holds 90cc of oil. I had been using Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil. Both because it is the correct weight and because it was also designed for gear use in motorcycles.

This time I was thinking about adding some Mos2 for gears to the Amsoil. Is there any reason I should or shouldn't do this? And with such a small capacity, what dose of the Mos2 for gears would be acceptable?

Here is a picture of the gear setup. Pretty basic.

DoubleReductionGearBox.jpg

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I'm doing a build on my Honda Elite scooter. Part of this requires replacing the rear gears with a different ratio. Therefore, new oil.

Honda recommends 10w40 oil in the small gear case. It only holds 90cc of oil. I had been using Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil. Both because it is the correct weight and because it was also designed for gear use in motorcycles.

This time I was thinking about adding some Mos2 for gears to the Amsoil. Is there any reason I should or shouldn't do this? And with such a small capacity, what dose of the Mos2 for gears would be acceptable?

Email liqui-moly before doing that. There might be metals that react poorly to its use.
I'd use gear oil in that personally. Not that I think engine oil will do any harm. It's just that I feel that we have specific products for specific applications. So I have little faith in an engine oil that's a gear oil that's at whatever else right.
Yes. My bias is showing.
Try redline shockproof. Email them,tell them what bike and maybe show them that exploded view your showing us now and see what they say.
I know cummins advocated for no moly in any oil in their engines because of specific metals they use that reacted in some way with moly,but iirc the moly ban has been lifted.
But do your homework and email the right people fir answers.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Email liqui-moly before doing that. There might be metals that react poorly to its use.
I'd use gear oil in that personally. Not that I think engine oil will do any harm. It's just that I feel that we have specific products for specific applications. So I have little faith in an engine oil that's a gear oil that's at whatever else right.
Yes. My bias is showing.
Try redline shockproof. Email them,tell them what bike and maybe show them that exploded view your showing us now and see what they say.
I know cummins advocated for no moly in any oil in their engines because of specific metals they use that reacted in some way with moly,but iirc the moly ban has been lifted.

If gear oil was a better choice, wouldn't Honda have spec'd it from the factory instead of 10w40? Also, the MCF is GL-1 rated, which I would *think* would be acceptable for a straight cut reduction setup like this. If I was to run an actual gear oil, what would be ideal as far as weight and ratings? Efficiency is important with such a small power plant trying to get every last bit of power to the wheel. I would be concerned about a gear oil causing more drag?

Yes. My bias is showing.

If gear oil was a better choice, wouldn't Honda have spec'd it from the factory instead of 10w40? Also, the MCF is GL-1 rated, which I would *think* would be acceptable for a straight cut reduction setup like this. If I was to run an actual gear oil, what would be ideal as far as weight and ratings? Efficiency is important with such a small power plant trying to get every last bit of power to the wheel. I would be concerned about a gear oil causing more drag?

I can't say for sure,which is why I suggested emailing someone at redline and liqui-moly.
Bharley says use syn 3 in the tranny. I use redline shockproof.
As far as drag goes gear oil is graded differently than engine oil so even though the numbers are higher on the gear oil that doesnt equate to being thicker.
Engine oils have additive packages suited to their operating environment.
An engine and a gearbox don't require the same additives therefore engine oil is optimal for use in..........engines.
Gear oil is optimal for use in........gearboxes.
So I don't know exactly what woukd suit your gearbox as far as which grade and formula but I do know that because it's a gearbox,gear oil would be better suited for the operating environment.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
What is the year and engine size?

This is a 94 Honda Sa50p Elite (Dio) with a 72cc BBK and other work done. The rear gears have been swapped out to 9:1 .

Yes. My bias is showing.

I can't say for sure,which is why I suggested emailing someone at redline and liqui-moly.
Bharley says use syn 3 in the tranny. I use redline shockproof.
As far as drag goes gear oil is graded differently than engine oil so even though the numbers are higher on the gear oil that doesnt equate to being thicker.
Engine oils have additive packages suited to their operating environment.
An engine and a gearbox don't require the same additives therefore engine oil is optimal for use in..........engines.
Gear oil is optimal for use in........gearboxes.
So I don't know exactly what woukd suit your gearbox as far as which grade and formula but I do know that because it's a gearbox,gear oil would be better suited for the operating environment.

My 87 CRX called for non-synthetic 10w30 in the manual gearbox.
You could use Honda MTF but the original spec was motor-oil.

Do not use gear oil, regardless of how they are graded, it will cause way too much drag. That is basically a transfer case. I would use transmission fluid before gear oil. Polaris atvs have a similar gearbox and every time I get one, that they put gear oil in, the drive chain is stretched and it just creates too much drive. Any 10w30 or 10w40 oil would be fine. Ive had good luck with ATF +4 in gearboxes. Regardless of the shearing of oil, its just such a simple design, it isn't really going to matter.

There are plenty of gear oils that are much thinner than a 10w30 or 10w40...just because someone has used EP90 in a Polaris doesn't mean they might not be a better option.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Do not use gear oil, regardless of how they are graded, it will cause way too much drag. That is basically a transfer case. I would use transmission fluid before gear oil. Polaris atvs have a similar gearbox and every time I get one, that they put gear oil in, the drive chain is stretched and it just creates too much drive. Any 10w30 or 10w40 oil would be fine. Ive had good luck with ATF +4 in gearboxes. Regardless of the shearing of oil, its just such a simple design, it isn't really going to matter.

Well I dont`t know what offer of oils you got in USA.....but i will not pour in regular 10w40/30 engine oil unless if its GL4 rated

For instance like Motul transoil 10w30 or transoil expert 10w40

Or for instance even any UTTO oil will be ok ( Universal Tractor Transmission oil)...these oils are GL4 rated as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back