is a 100 mile highway trip gonna kill my break-in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes sense. Disregard the break in instructions of the engineers who designed the engine and follow the advice of someone who looks like a squirrel on acid.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Here's an example of an aggressive break-in. The yellow 'Busa with 351 miles.

I wonder why the riders weren't wearing shorts and flipflops.

Originally Posted By: KernelK
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Here's an example of an aggressive break-in. The yellow 'Busa with 351 miles.

I wonder why the riders weren't wearing shorts and flipflops.

You'd have to ask them.

Personally, when I ride, I wear full leathers, Sidi boots, Held gloves, and an Arai helmet.

That makes sense. Disregard the break in instructions of the engineers who designed the engine and follow the advice of someone who looks like a squirrel on acid.

Have you ever seen a squirrel on acid ? I have and they are really fast which is a good thing, if you can catch one they bite real hard....

1/2 to 3/4 throttle and run up through the gears then decelerate back to second. Make sure no ones behind you.
I've got a 106 kit on my harley. I broke it in on the highway home doing exactly what I just told you. I've got 30000 miles on it since building the engine and I use conventional 15w-40 and it consumes no oil between 3000 mile changes.
That's sayimg something on a big cube air cooled engine. The clearances are a bit looser to compensate for more heat.

Don't lug it, and don't overrev it. Ride it semi-normally, just vary your speeds every few miles. And don't be afraid to get on it a bit. My last bike (KTM Super Duke) purchase involved a near 500 mile ride home. A mix of two lanes and interstate miles made for a good break in ride. Even rode in some heavy rain on the way home.

I've done something similar years ago with a new Honda ST1100. 300 miles of mostly highway riding. And some heavy rain too. 101,000 miles later, it still ran great with virtually no oil consumption when I sold it.

Seriously, don't sweat 100 miles. And don't stress about exceedng the manufacturer's super conservative break-in RPM limits, at least for short periods.

Last edited:
Just trailer the bike home that way you have all that time to spend with it and learn all there is to know about it. Plus you can start your customizing plan to make it your machine.

Never know, you may get a good warm spell to ride it.

That's just it... there is no evidence that the same engineers who
designed the machine are the ones who scribed the owners manual...
actually the manual reads like lawyers had a hand in the text...
However the engineers and designers did scribe the shop manual... and
there are no break in steps for a fresh rebuilt engine like there are
listed in the owners manual...

Last edited:

That statement made me LoL!!!

Here's the thing, the old method of running a bike below 1/2 throttle and certain rpm, is an old school method that has produced weak power engines and oil burners. Some of those same manufactures, now use a more modern liberal breakin, and don't put those silly requirements on breakin.

I know that you don't have to be as extreme as motorman, but IMO its important to get short strong blasts of accel and decel in the first 100 miles, to aide with ring seating

Tomcat, I was on a 5 day trip 2 seasons ago on a 2001 RKClassic. Was in West Virginia and bike died. Towed it to a local dealer and didn't want to wait for parts so traded it on a 2013 Road Glide Custom. Bike had 1 mile on it and immediately got on the highway and proceeded to ride it normal with my friends and rode between 50 and 80 mph . Stopped every couple hours and let her cool. This motor broke in fine and runs strong with no oil burn. Did the first service on schedule.
Not to mention those Yamaha motors are bulletproof. Just ride her normal from day 1 and enjoy it. After all it is a recreation machine. Don't worry just ride her!
Pete

I traded in my vstar 1300 for a 2014 Road King while on my way home from vacation in the Smoky Mountains 250 miles away.
Left the 1300 at a Harley dealer in Pigeon Forge, and drove home on the new Road King right from the dealer with my wife and luggage on the back. 250 mile trip, first 40 or so mountain roads in the pouring rain no less then onto the interstate for the rest of the trip.

I suggest a 100 mile trip is nothing and better then small short trips, the key is to very the engine speed constantly as you are riding.
Someone mentioned engine breaking and I agree but gently. Engine breaking forces oil up to the heads/valvetrain. Anyway, I kind of think the trip was better for the bike MUCH better then excessive idling, being the Road King is air cooled it always had a strong stream of air running by it. My bike also has a tach and made sure I didnt exceed 3000 RPMs as suggested in the manual, cant remember if that is the exact number.
I do think, if I were you I would avoid jumping right onto the interstate maybe for the first 50 miles or so, but that is just me, then the rest of the way, take it easy, dont set any speed records and vary your speed.

Last edited:
First miles on my Ducati Multistrada were the 100 mile ride home from the dealer on an interstate highway. I did vary the rpm quite a bit. 16,300 miles later it still runs like a scalded cheetah and oil consumption is normal.

The rings in your Harley were probably seated during the test run on the dyno at the factory before QC signs it off to ship out. Ducati does that and I'd bet The Motor Company does too.

If the new engine was made by a major manufacturer like Yamaha, it has already been broken in for hours on a factory test stand and dyno. However you ride for the first few X miles likely won't make any difference in the long run. The owner's manual recommendation to keep the revs down is to prevent lawsuits from unfamiliar riders who get in over their heads and end up ask over tea kettle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back