Cold cranking viscosity vs. 0W/5W for winter use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a question for cold weather starts. Nebraska cold, -5F with -25 windchill,not Florida winter of 75F or Texas at 45F. From the Amsoil chart online,I got the impression that a very low CCV number was good for cold weather starts,and one of the best out there that I can purchase locally is Havoline synthetic as it's CCV is on par with Amsoil. My car is a 2006 Acura that takes 5W-20. All the newer Honda and Acura's specify 0W-20. Now after trying Super Tech synth. and the Havoline I've wanted to try the Pennziol natural gas. However, with at least a month or two of very cold weather left and my oil change coming due, I considered getting the 0W-20 instead the 5W-20 but the 0W has much worse CCV numbers than the 5W-20, per the Penzoil website and the information found there. I don't really understand how or why a 0W has worse cold cranking properties than a 5W, but that is per the ccv numbers that they have listed for those two grades. any suggestions or ideas as to why this is and which would be better for these freezing cold starts?

Okay, two quick points. Don't forget the 5w-20 is measured at -30 degrees, whereas the 0w-20 is measured at -35 degrees.

Also, windchill doesn't affect your motor oil or other inanimate objects. It's just the temperature itself that affects them.

If you're talking about temps in the -5 range, you can go ahead and go with a 0w if that gives you peace of mind. But the difference between a 0w and 5w at that temperature isn't going to be as massive as some people think. In fact, some people still use 10w oils at that temperature without issue.

Like I side, go ahead and use the 0w if you'd like, it's the same price so there's no reason not to use it.

For every 5C change in temperature, CCS and MRV roughly halve when coming up from the temps a 0W-xx are measured at. So to compare your 0w-20 to your 5w-20, take the CCS and/or MRV and divide it in half, that will give you the number to compare to the CCS and/or MRV for the 5w-20.

This formula holds true up to at least -15C (5F).

Yeah we get simliar weather here in Illinois. Actually it was -3f last night when I was out. I've not yet noticed in any of my vehicles running a 0w vs. 5w any difference in starting. I just test my batteries annually to make certain they are in top shape. That seems to make my mind rest easier.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Okay, two quick points. Don't forget the 5w-20 is measured at -30 degrees, whereas the 0w-20 is measured at -35 degrees.

Also, windchill doesn't affect your motor oil or other inanimate objects. It's just the temperature itself that affects them.

If you're talking about temps in the -5 range, you can go ahead and go with a 0w if that gives you peace of mind. But the difference between a 0w and 5w at that temperature isn't going to be as massive as some people think. In fact, some people still use 10w oils at that temperature without issue.

Like I side, go ahead and use the 0w if you'd like, it's the same price so there's no reason not to use it.

Yep, I got fooled by the same thing when comparing PUP 5W-20 and 0W-20, they were measured at different temps. I initially thought the 5W-20 flowed better at cold temps until I realized that later. Oh well, splitting hairs at that point.

Why would you even consider using a 5w-20 when there are very good 0w-20 synthetics? My 04 Camry V6 was speced for 5w-30 and I use 0w-20 in the winter and 0w-30 in the summer.

Originally Posted By: sicko
... Don't forget the 5w-20 is measured at -30 degrees, whereas the 0w-20 is measured at -35 degrees....

^ This. At a given (low) temperature, the 0w is thinner and therefore easier to start than the 5w. As oil temp climbs the gap narrows until they're up to their operating viscosity.

Originally Posted By: GenXAccord
This is a question for cold weather starts. Nebraska cold, -5F with -25 windchill,not Florida winter of 75F or Texas at 45F. From the Amsoil chart online,I got the impression that a very low CCV number was good for cold weather starts,and one of the best out there that I can purchase locally is Havoline synthetic as it's CCV is on par with Amsoil. My car is a 2006 Acura that takes 5W-20. All the newer Honda and Acura's specify 0W-20. Now after trying Super Tech synth. and the Havoline I've wanted to try the Pennzoil natural gas. However, with at least a month or two of very cold weather left and my oil change coming due, I considered getting the 0W-20 instead the 5W-20 but the 0W has much worse CCV numbers than the 5W-20, per the Penzoil website and the information found there. I don't really understand how or why a 0W has worse cold cranking properties than a 5W, but that is per the ccv numbers that they have listed for those two grades. any suggestions or ideas as to why this is and which would be better for these freezing cold starts?

We appreciate your consideration, GenXAccord! Our Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology would be an excellent choice for your 2006 Acura. PurePlus Technology is our patented, revolutionary gas-to-liquid process which converts natural gas into a base oil with lower friction, better low temperature properties and greater stability than conventional motor oil made from crude. It also provides faster low temperature oil flow, while still being able to protect your engine when running at higher temperatures. - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Why would you even consider using a 5w-20 when there are very good 0w-20 synthetics? My 04 Camry V6 was speced for 5w-30 and I use 0w-20 in the winter and 0w-30 in the summer.

^
thumbsup2.gif

How has your car been starting in the cold weather with the oils you have tried? If you car is designed to run on 5w-20 oil, you should not have any problems sticking with the 5w-20 oils you have tried especially since they are synthetics. My GF is running Super Tech 5w-20 conventional oil with a Fram TG filter in her Honda Fit and there is no problem with start-ups here in Northern Ohio where we just had the coldest February on record with temps down to -17 degrees.

MRV is a better value to compare in most cases. A 0W-20 synthetic from Pennzoil or Mobil 1 should provide peace of mind and excellent cold start capabilities at -5F. and below. Mobil 1 EP (has a $12.00 rebate per 5-quart jug) can be purchased at Walmart for $26.68 and it's the same cost as standard Mobil 1 AFE. EP is what I use and recommend.

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
The Pennzoil Team

We have a Pennzoil Team with us? Far out! Are you from a marketing or technical discipline?

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
The Pennzoil Team

We have a Pennzoil Team with us? Far out! Are you from a marketing or technical discipline?

Tom NJ

lol

Sounds like marketing.
I have an 08 Accord EX-L4. I can't use mobil 1 5w-20 or thinner. It drinks too much oil; 1/2 qts every 2000 miles. Maybe if I can get some trial of Pennzoil 5w20 to compare to Mobil 1?wink wink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back