Silverado - Noise at cold start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have idea's what exactly this sound it? Taken at neg 9 today

2009 Silverado - Seems to be temperature related. I have not exactly taken note and charted every start up, temperature and extent of the noise. If I had to ball park it I would say maybe at 15 and above it doesn't do it or maybe barley at all. At 5 to 15 degrees maybe it does it a bit, just not as loud and not as long as video. This Video is at -9 and is about the loudest/longest and about what I get at temperatures of 5 and below. This video had the truck sitting unused from Fri night until Sunday morning but will still do it even just from over night sitting if the temp is low enough.

It's been like this through multiple winters and multiple filters/brands. Now that I'm a member and learning to fix things myself, I figured I mine as well post a video and maybe find out what it is, if it's something that needs to be changed or fixed, and if it's damaging something.

http://youtu.be/7M-IwQfCSHc

Last edited by a moderator:
Lifters. Sounds just like my 2009 5.3. Although in all fairness most engines are going to have a fair amount of noise at -9 below 0.

Originally Posted By: Scott_mi
It's been like this through multiple winters and multiple filters/brands.

What about oil brands and weights? Or have you been using the same oil?

Yeah, engines will be noisier at -9F than at "normal" temperatures.

That said, filters do make the startup noise on my 4.3 vary from non-existent to a slight tap in warm weather after long sits...

I guess I hear a bit of a tick-tick, but I know I sure wouldn't worry about it, especially since it has been doing it for a long time.

It is known on many forums that some of these GM V8-5.3 L & 6.0 L did experience some piston slap at cold(er) outside temps!

But, from what I can hear from the video, sounds like nothing more than cold engine injector ticking. Nothing out of the ordinary for a very cold engine!

Last edited:
if you are asking about the lifter noise that is not a big deal if it quiets down in a bit but that other noise sounds like your starter engaged for a second after engine was running.... remote start?

My old dodge one ton , 318 sounds similar and in a few minutes it sounds new again...the take up idler pulley and belt make noise till it warms up thru friction,,,overall , ur engine is good.

Note: old engines and people are similar, we just cant jump out of a long sleep and get up and run smooth, but an 14 year old teenager can...lol

Sorry about lack of answers, been working on thawing a frozen water line at a rental.

As mentioned above, it is the ghaa sound I am referring about 1 second after the truck started. The sound at mark 11 and 12 seconds. It only seems to do this on the first start of the day after sitting over night.

I did not engage the starter. I did not use remote start. I just turned the key and let go, the truck will crank itself over till it decides it started. I'm sure there's a name for this I don't know what it is.

If it is the starter engaging, do I need to address an issue or is it just how it's going to be?

Last edited:
I live in Minnesota and on my former cars, both Toyota's, at around -10 and below, they used to make that ghaa sound and it would last for 30 seconds or so. Not sure what it ever was but never had an issue with either car repair-wise. Since this year, I switched to synthetic 0W. Have not heard that noise on my cars I have now, not sure if its the cars or the oil that made the difference.

If this has been going on for a while, probably no worries as it would have caused a problem by now.

Last edited:
Hmm, that is weird. I know quite a bit about LS motors and this is a first for me. Are you still be under the GM Powertrain warranty?

even if he is GM would probably say it is performing as designed unless the warranty is over then they can fix it for a few thousand.. This is why Lemon Law Attorneys make millions

i heard the ghaa noise in the video. that is not normal. it sounds like starter still engaged after engine starts. if i had to guess since you said it only happens when really cold the starter pinion is not retracting fast enough after you release key from start position. being a 2009 if its original starter, or maybe if a reman, has lack of lubrication on pinion shaft and or what grease is there is so thick at cold temps its making the pinion stick in the engaged position.

We got ice and wind at 22 degrees,,its warm here compared to some spots in Canada. Just keep your whatnots from freezing, and do not sled naked...imho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back