Snow blowers to avoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tempted to keep an eye on CL for a bigger one. Dual stage, self propelled. My Toro 521 does pretty good, when it has a good belt; but as they say, two is one and one is none.

What ought to be avoided? I glanced in this sub forum a while back, and saw something mentioned about "splitting" a snowblower to change a belt. That seems like one to avoid, along with rusty ones.

Avoid the cheap MTD made machines. Very thin metal that rots out, cheaply made controls that break, etc.

I'd look for an older Ariens machine or a Toro that is a bit larger than the one you have. The older Toros are my favorite. I have a 1978 826. I'd find a nice Toro 724 or 524 and repower it with a newer engine. Before winter started my uncle needed a snow blower. I found a Toro 524 that needed an engine, but the rest of the machine was in excellent shape. I put a newer 7hp OHV Briggs and Stratton engine on it along with some new belts and now he has a reliable and unstoppable machine that will last a long time.
thumbsup2.gif

I had a Snapper from around the 2004 time. It has the Tecumseh snowking 5hp motor. Motor was a POS.

I have a 4 year old MTD 5.5hp with a Briggs and it's been good. Only thing bad was the auger gear shattering when the shear pins didn't shear. Other than that it has handled everything very well. Much easier to work on too than the older models I've had.

I'm sure most people here will say to avoid anything made by MTD, but I rescued a MTD made Craftsman 8.5HP/26" blower from the trash and fixed it up. It does a great job. Previous owner was throwing it away because the gearbox was destroyed...which was caused because he replaced the shear pins with grade 8 bolts.

The 4 point mount on an Ariens is 2 hooks in the bottom and 2 short 3/8s bolts on the top. Along with the chute control and the belt cover. A 7/16 for the cover, a 1/2 wrench for the worm gear mount, and a 9/16 for the top bolts. It breaks like a double barreled shotgun. My last belt change took less than 10 minutes. MY Ariens is 40 yrs old. Haven't a clue about newer models.

Originally Posted By: andyd
The 4 point mount on an Ariens is 2 hooks in the bottom and 2 short 3/8s bolts on the top. Along with the chute control and the belt cover. A 7/16 for the cover, a 1/2 wrench for the worm gear mount, and a 9/16 for the top bolts. It breaks like a double barreled shotgun. My last belt change took less than 10 minutes. MY Ariens is 40 yrs old. Haven't a clue about newer models.

I probably mentioned this on an ariens I have. The front splits off the "Tractor" and one can conceivably fit a rototiller, brush hog, or other accessories that I've never seen.

Said ariens is around 40 years old and has "widowmaker" controls. To get forward propulsion one has to engage the auger, then has the choice of speed through a subservant control.

It's well built but off balance slightly (it seems) and doesn't blow snow that fantastically. I keep it as a spare. link to when I got it

Originally Posted By: supton
Tempted to keep an eye on CL for a bigger one. Dual stage, self propelled. My Toro 521 does pretty good, when it has a good belt; but as they say, two is one and one is none.

What ought to be avoided? I glanced in this sub forum a while back, and saw something mentioned about "splitting" a snowblower to change a belt. That seems like one to avoid, along with rusty ones.

It seems like the majority of them break down. Try and find a commercial grade unit. I have had a 15 year old Simplicity large frame 24" snow blower and it has broken 1 belt. Otherwise faultless. Each storm ranges from 30mins - 3 hrs of snowblowing. I just change the oil once per year and grease the fittings.

I spend $900 on it used from a pawn shop in 2003 and never looked back.

"I have a 4 year old MTD 5.5hp with a Briggs and it's been good. Only thing bad was the auger gear shattering when the shear pins didn't shear."

I would call that less than ideal.

For any sizable driveway or driveways I would avoid all the MTD-built machines (do a Google search to check on which names they wear). For small driveways and/or areas with modest snowfalls, they should be adequate.

The 45", dual wheel machines look super kewwwwl but are known to not be able to get out of their own way. Avoid.

Worse than the "OK" MTD machines are the pure Chinese machines like Stanley, Huskee, Snow Beast, Snow Joe, Echelon, PowRcraft and Powerland. Avoid s'more.

Supposedly Toro moved their manufacturing to Mexico (very recently) and the machines are no longer as good as they once were. Shame as they used to be good ... like Troy-Bilt which are now made by MTD.

4 years ago I bought an Ariens Deluxe 28. If I had to do it over again, I would probably do the same. Maybe a Simplicity/Snapper instead.

Last edited:
The best thing I ever did to the Ariens is to put a 6.5 hoss Predator on it I just used it to clear 14" of snow off the drive way.

I have 43 year old John Deere 726 2 stage that my dad bought new in 1972 for $420. I could sell it for that now! It has been worked very hard, and still looks good and works perfect. Still running original motor, tires etc. The only things ever replaced, has been the 2 belts, muffler and friction wheel, and that was many years ago. It is a true work horse. If they built anything like it now, it would be worth every penny of 2 grand.

Any older, larger Ariens should be a decent blower. My little one is game for snow deeper than it, when it has traction. Repowering an older machine is definitely a viable way to go.

Older blowers will blow the snow just fine. They may be harder to operate in deeper snow if they have turf tires that spin in deep snow. And, the older engines can leave one reeking of unburned hydrocarbons.

Old Honda snowblowers like my 1987 HS55 with tank treads are pretty tough, but they can get pricey as they don't really depreciate that quickly.

http://i.ushipcdn.com/resize.php?path=%2Fstatic%2F4a17a528-7ba8-4260-8.jpg&w=270&h=210

Last edited:
Older Ariens are about as tough as they get, get yourself some shear pins and learn to clean a carb and they should last forever. I've got one with the Tecumseh 8hp on it and other than replacing a carb and a piston soak to free up the rings (had massive blowby) it's been running perfect. Once the rings cleaned up the blowby stopped completely and the oil looks as good at the end of the season as it did new.

To make them blow the snow better, its worth doing the rubber flap mod to the blower fan, basically bolting rubber seals to the end of the fan blades to seal against the housing better, mine went from an anemic 10' throw at best to being able to throw it over the neighbors driveway if I need to.

I got rid of a Craftsman 2 stage for a 1976 Dynamark 2 stage. Oh man, what a difference. Best move I made. Its all metal construction too. You would have to pry my Dynamark off my cold dead hands before I give it up.

Supton, having done a bit of repair and tinkering work to various make and model snowblowers over the years, I wouldn't necessarily avoid MTD products. I find them easy to work on and parts are cheap and easy to get. If the price is right and it's something you can handle, go for it.

Having offered that opinion, I do have another.. One snowblower/thrower to AVOID is any MTD or otherwise with a twin, counter-rotating shaft engine. Many MTDs have this, as do some old iron beasts. Replacement engines are basically non-existent and retrofitting them with a single shaft engine requires some serious mods. If buying used, I would suggest you bring some sockets/wrenches to quickly pop the belt guard off to verify if single or 2-shaft. My ~1999 model year Yardman 24" snowblower with a 7hp OHC Tecumseh engine has the twin shaft. It's been a great machine for me, but once the engine goes, so does the whole thing.

I dunno if you've read any threads in regards to the Ariens Sno-Tek line, but if you're buying new on a budget, they are the best bang for your buck. Less money than a new comparable MTD, but a better design, heavier components and they'll out-throw a comparable MTD machine like night/day. I've got a new Arines Snow-Tek 28". Love it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Supton, having done a bit of repair and tinkering work to various make and model snowblowers over the years, I wouldn't necessarily avoid MTD products. I find them easy to work on and parts are cheap and easy to get. If the price is right and it's something you can handle, go for it.

Having offered that opinion, I do have another.. One snowblower/thrower to AVOID is any MTD or otherwise with a twin, counter-rotating shaft engine. Many MTDs have this, as do some old iron beasts. Replacement engines are basically non-existent and retrofitting them with a single shaft engine requires some serious mods. If buying used, I would suggest you bring some sockets/wrenches to quickly pop the belt guard off to verify if single or 2-shaft. My ~1999 model year Yardman 24" snowblower with a 7hp OHC Tecumseh engine has the twin shaft. It's been a great machine for me, but once the engine goes, so does the whole thing.

I dunno if you've read any threads in regards to the Ariens Sno-Tek line, but if you're buying new on a budget, they are the best bang for your buck. Less money than a new comparable MTD, but a better design, heavier components and they'll out-throw a comparable MTD machine like night/day. I've got a new Arines Snow-Tek 28". Love it.

What is difference between Ariens Sno-Tek and their normal line of snow blowers?

Donald, as far as I can tell, they are the same as the Ariens compact line, but are painted black, have no light on them and use an LCT "Ariens" branded engine as opposed to a Briggs engine.

The Ariens deluxe, platinum and professional series use the larger 14" impeller and have addition bracing to the auger assembly.

JTK, I was going to ask the same question as Donald ... but he beat me to it.

I think there may be a few other differences between Ariens and their economy Sno-Tek lineup. How about:

Chute: Metal or plastic? Is the rotation control the same as an Ariens Deluxe?
Auger gear case: aluminum or cast iron? Does it take gear oil or have a grease fitting?
What are the Sno-Tek axles like? Are they locked or can the user lock/unlock on-the-fly??
Skid shoes: identical to Ariens? Shorter? Reversible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back