How cold is to cold for 10w30 t-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a trip to north east pa scheduled for the next 2 weeks. The lows are in the -10 to -15f range. Ive got 10,000miles on the current batch of oil t-5. Do i need to change it to 5w40 for cold cranking reasons? vehicle is the one in my sig.

Last edited:
Cold-flow is nearly identical between the two and you will be well within operational limits with 10w-30.

If that battery isn't new and it won't be garaged.... absolutely. We have sand mines in full force up here now and nearly every truck from Tenn. and KY has gotten a new battery or alternator and an oil change since arriving.

Awsum, i didn't want to change oil any way. Too cold. I'll have around 12,000miles on t-5 when i get back. guess im getting my moneys worth on extending oci.

Since you have 10,000 miles on the oil now...you should change it anyways so why not go with the 5w40.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
If that battery isn't new and it won't be garaged.... absolutely. We have sand mines in full force up here now and nearly every truck from Tenn. and KY has gotten a new battery or alternator and an oil change since arriving.

Both batterys are 2yrs old. Deka intimaditor's agm. Sitting in outside whole time. However alt has been upgraded from 105 amp to 140.

Too cold, and windy to want to change oil. Nearly all the miles are highway miles anyway.

Last edited:
The charts I can find on the net do not recommend 10W30 oil be used below 0 degrees F. The forecast for Scranton PA calls for -10F at night. Unless you are going to use a block heater, I would say change it. There is a big difference between 5W and 10W oils at cold temps.

Our mountain house in the Poconos is only supposed to go down to -6F. Are you sure its -10 or -15F? Not wind chill.

Here is a chart that Daimler Benz created which I like. CCMC G5 is the stouter oils with higher HTHS and better base stocks, which is what Id consider T5.

MBDiesel.jpg

Here is the chart from my 91 BMW. Slightly different recommendations. Special oils are generally ACEA A3 synthetics...

49e079ea.jpg

For a limited number of starts, Id likely not worry about it at all. Just let it idle a bit to stabilize and drive nice and gentle until the engine warms a bit.

Coaltown, pa is the location, weather channel gave me the great news. Wish i could use my block heater. Unfortunately hotel does not have an outlet that I could plug in to in the parking lot.

Last edited:
The T5 will be fine; don't worry. The T-5 10w-30 and T6 5w-40 have essentially the same cold pump properties, BTW.

For reference, last year it got down to -17F (ambient, not windchill) here in Indy. My 2006 Dmax (on original batteries) started and ran just fine on dino 10w-30 Rotella. The UOA last year showed no issues whatsoever from those several days of cold starts.

People overthink the 5w v 10w topic. If you saw routine cold starts below -25F, all the time, then it might be worth the concern. But for a trip, you've already got a great lube in there. Use it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Our mountain house in the Poconos is only supposed to go down to -6F. Are you sure its -10 or -15F? Not wind chill.

Here is a chart that Daimler Benz created which I like. CCMC G5 is the stouter oils with higher HTHS and better base stocks, which is what Id consider T5.

MBDiesel.jpg

Here is the chart from my 91 BMW. Slightly different recommendations. Special oils are generally ACEA A3 synthetics...

49e079ea.jpg

For a limited number of starts, Id likely not worry about it at all. Just let it idle a bit to stabilize and drive nice and gentle until the engine warms a bit.

Umm.... Why does that chart show that I shouldn't be using 0W-20 in my Toyota?

It looks like everyone but Warstud missed the point.
10W30 after 10,000 miles is no longer a 10W30.
When oil ages, the first thing to go is cold performance.
Besides, Eastern PA in the winter....anything can happen.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

MBDiesel.jpg

49e079ea.jpg

Umm.... Why does that chart show that I shouldn't be using 0W-20 in my Toyota?

...and how out of date is that info?
Also, copyrighting already copyrighted material isn't gonna get you very far.

Originally Posted By: simplistic
I've got a trip to north east pa scheduled for the next 2 weeks. The lows are in the -10 to -15f range. Ive got 10,000miles on the current batch of oil t-5. Do i need to change it to 5w40 for cold cranking reasons? vehicle is the one in my sig.

I'd change it. My truck is similar to your's and it specs 10w30 good down to zero degrees F. It goes on to state synthetic 0/5w30 should be used below-20, basically saying dino 5w is good to twenty below.

This is for an 03, i think it cover all gasoline engines of that year.

-24F lows here and the truck sat all weekend with 10W-30 T5 (08 duramax) started just fine when I got home, you'll be just fine. Mine regularly sees temps this cold and I have no issues with cranking in the morning regardless of how many miles I have on my oil.

-13F in near Ithaca, MI the other night. Real, not wind chill which I never pay any attention to. My semi started just fine on Schaeffer 15w40 blend. Oil pressure up right away.I think a 10w30 would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back