Review of Firestone WinterForce '14 Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've had these tires on for about 6k miles. Up until maybe late January these have been doing the bare pavement shuffle. I was beginning to think my almost 1000 dollar investment (tires and rims) was a bad idea.

Well if you've watched any of the weather here in New England recently.....5+ feet and counting as we are expecting a northeaster tonight into tomorrow but I digress.

The WinterForces are what they are...they are fairly loud, ride sort of rough and maybe a little squishy in cornering......but get them in the environment they are designed for and they have transformed my go nowhere car in anything more than a dusting to a pure beast mode go almost anywhere tank.

My commute is 100 miles per day round trip and I'm usually on the road between 0430-0500. A lot of times there is still a pretty decent snow cover on the road when I hit it. I've yet to be late or miss a day of work weather related.

Is there some wheel spin? Sure but I haven't been stuck or stranded anywhere. I've passed Accords and Camry's spinning their wheels in intersections trying to gain traction and the Charger just powers right through it. I sometimes have to reel it in a bit as I have found myself being overconfident in some situations. For the most part they are very sure footed in the white stuff. In fact I look more forward to going out and driving in the snow than I was in my Crosstrek with A/S tires. I forgot how much fun a RWD car can be in the snow
smile.gif

All in all, a great purchase and I'd have no reservations recommending the WinterForces to anyone especially for the price.

Yes , I have them and they are OK and have high ratings on tirerack by users. That said, they are snow tires and not winter tires. Winter tires have a special rubber compound for ice. CR gives them a score of 66 out of 100.
I have a FWD RAV4 and routinely pass 4wd RAV4's in snow with all season tires,I assume.

Sounds like they're a good tire for your environment. I bet you're glad to have them, especially this winter!

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Looks like a squad car in a nice way. Where were the tires made in?

The Winterforces I had (2007 Magnum, probably the same 225/60R18) were made in Canada.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Now imagine what modern winter tires can do!

Krzys

Cost twice as much and not work any better in snow?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: krzyss
Now imagine what modern winter tires can do!

Krzys

Cost twice as much and not work any better in snow?

Work as good in snow and much better everywhere else.

Krzys

I think they may have been made in Indonesia but not certain...I'll take a look.

I haven't run into a situation yet that has stopped me with these tires (we got another fresh 15 inches last night, 7.5 feet in the last 3 weeks)

There are probably tires out there that will do just as good in snow and better on ice but for 107 apiece I'm pretty pleased with the performance. The roads don't stay totally snow covered too long around here. Usually in a few days back to pavement. 100 miles a day on studded tires....no way lol

I'm wondering if I should rotate them...I think I'm going to be on them for the foreseeable future

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Looks like a squad car in a nice way. Where were the tires made in?

Yeah I've had instances when pulling onto the highway that traffic suddenly slows down lol

Just checked and tires are indeed made in Indonesia

17's, probably. (AFAIK, the Charger won't take anything smaller than that, and the Hemis won't even take most 17's.)

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Are those steel wheels 15" diameter? They look small.

They are 18"

Tires are 225/60/18

Roads are really packed down snow right now with temps hovering around 0. Not much for the tires to grab onto but I got around ok tonight. Just have to watch the pedal as 300hp to the rear wheels can spin them up quick although the nanny traction control does a great job.

RWD can be fun in the white stuff
smile.gif

Older version, but yeah, these cars are great in snow! And I love how quickly they heat up
thumbsup2.gif
The Expedition takes 10 years to make heat due to the massive cooling system (and I think the clutch is failing on the fan), whilst the Charger makes heat in a fraction of the time and yeah, RWD fun FTW!
smile.gif

Yup! Charger does not take long at all to heat up and that is coming in handy on these sub zero mornings
smile.gif
For such a heavy car it does recover quickly in a slide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back