Pulsating and noisy speedometer on 71 Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is the likely cause of my noisy and pulsating speedometer the cable and or its casing or might it be the speedometer itself?

On a '71? Check for a kink in the speedometer cable, or a spot where it turns a tight corner. A retaining clip might have come loose allowing it to get tight.

If that's not the case then yes it is likely an issue with the speedo itself.

Edit: also, you may simply need to lubricate the speedo cable, had a similar issue once which a good lube cleared up.

Last edited:
I would go with a cable being the issue more than likely. That was the case on my fathers 77 Ford when it made a noise and was jumpy.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
On a '71? Check for a kink in the speedometer cable, or a spot where it turns a tight corner. A retaining clip might have come loose allowing it to get tight.

Edit: also, you may simply need to lubricate the speedo cable, had a similar issue once which a good lube cleared up.

Lubed the cable once before and it was a little better but went right back to its old self after awhile. That's why I was thinking maybe the casing itself is bad. Thinking about buying a new cable and casing to see what happens.

Originally Posted By: 007
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Lubed the cable once before and it was a little better but went right back to its old self after awhile. That's why I was thinking maybe the casing itself is bad. Thinking about buying a new cable and casing to see what happens.

thumbsup2.gif
If a lube fixed it short term, then I'd be thinking like you a new cable is needed.

I have quite some experience on these old guys.

The original lube is dried and needs removed then replaced. I take out the old cable,usually it must be unhooked from the speedometer from under the dash. Pull it out, let it hang a C shape and spin with your fingers, if it jumps up and down some of the wires are broken, get new. Otherwise soak in solvent.

If you have cruise, then there are 2 cables, you must do both.

To clean the housing I spray with carb cleaner, then run a wire down it, make a cloth plug like cleaning a gun saturated with carb cleaner and pull thru. This gets out some of the old grease.

I use a thin light grease, or just oil when I replace. Oil is better than too thick of grease. Chassis grease is too thick. Sometimes special ball bearing grease or bicycle grease is good.

The grease in the cruise module and the speedometer head may also be old and thick. Same drill, carb cleaner and oil to thin it. This usually gets you a few years.

Rod

From under the dash, you should be able to disconnect and pull out the speedo cable. From there, wipe it clean with alcohol, when it dries apply powdered graphite and reinstall. Your're good to go.Don't use oil or grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back