Costco no longer selling kirkand car batteries??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I used a pro-rated dealer road-hazard warranty once after I shredded a tire on the freeway. The tire was in one piece, but there were dozens of tears across the entire tire, so it couldn't be patched. They actually did what the warranty stated. I had to pay for installation, but the prorated price I paid was based off the current retail price, which I could look up on their website.

Tire Mileage/wear warranties Road Hazard warranties and are two very different things. Wear warranties generally come with every tire while Hazards are extra.

One I'm glad the Hazard warranty worked out for you.

I thought that a few manufacturers have a limited road hazard warranty. Continental's is for the first 2/32" of tread or 12 months. My tire was a Continental and a little less than 2/32", but it was over a year. However, the seller/installer (America's Tire) had its own included road hazard warranty, and they gave me a prorated replacement based on the current price of a replacement tire. I think Costco's road hazard warranty is similar.

I thought that a few manufacturers have a limited road hazard warranty. Continental's is for the first 2/32" of tread or 12 months. My tire was a Continental and a little less than 2/32", but it was over a year. However, the seller/installer (America's Tire) had its own included road hazard warranty, and they gave me a prorated replacement based on the current price of a replacement tire. I think Costco's road hazard warranty is similar.

I think I was pretty clear. A damage replacement is due to damage and falls under hazard, whether hazard coverage is included is a separate issue.

If you take in a bald tire at 55K with a 70K mileage warranty, that's not a damage/hazard claim.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

I think I was pretty clear. A damage replacement is due to damage and falls under hazard, whether hazard coverage is included is a separate issue.

If you take in a bald tire at 55K with a 70K mileage warranty, that's not a damage/hazard claim.

Bald - no. Worn - maybe. Here's Costco's policy (this is exactly what's on the back of every tire invoice/receipt):

Quote:
http://www2.costco.com/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/TIRE.pdf

WHAT IS COVERED:

1. “Road Hazard Failure” is defined as a tire that becomes unserviceable due to cuts,
non-repairable punctures or impact damage. Costco Wholesale will repair tires
with tread-face injuries in accordance with established RMA (Rubber Manufacturers
Association) standards.
2. This warranty covers road hazard failures in Passenger, Performance and Light Truck
tires purchased from Costco Wholesale.
3. This warranty is valid for sixty (60) months from the date of purchase or when the tire
reaches 2/32 of an inch or less in remaining tread depth regardless of age. When
a tire has 2/32 of an inch or less in tread depth, it is considered worn out.
4. This warranty provides credit based upon remaining usable tread at the time of failure
due to road hazard.
5. “Usable Tread” is defined as the original tread depth of a tire less 2/32 of an inch
(tread wear indicators).
6. Credit is determined by multiplying the useable remaining tread by the current price
of the tire.
7. This Warranty is a promise under certain conditions to give credit on a pro-rated basis
towards the purchase of a new tire. This warranty does not imply that tires sold by
Costco Wholesale meet certain specifications or cannot fail. This Warranty does not
replace or modify any original tire manufacturers warranty on material and
workmanship.

I think if someone wore a tire down to 3/32" tread and the tire originally had 12/32", they would actually give a credit for 10% of a replacement tire, provided it's under 5 years since it was installed.

I wonder if you turn in your Interstate/Kirkland battery within the 42 month warranty period, will the new battery get a new full warranty?
That is how it was with the old warranty scheme of 36month nonprorated/100month total prorated.

Originally Posted By: danwat1234
I wonder if you turn in your Interstate/Kirkland battery within the 42 month warranty period, will the new battery get a new full warranty?
That is how it was with the old warranty scheme of 36month nonprorated/100month total prorated.

I think that they don't give you a replacement, they give you a refund for how much you originally purchased it for. Then, it's up to you to buy a new one, and when you buy a new one, the warranty starts again.

Yes that is how it works, sorry for not being clear. Just wondering if that has changed with the new battery warranty somehow.
It's not that hard to get a lifetime warranty through Costco
smile.gif

I have just bought a size 35 Interstate from Costco. 640 CCA and 800 CA which is the same spec as a Mega-Tron Plus size 35. The Costco one has 42-month free replacement vs 30-month free replacement for the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus.

They don't have size 51 for my S2000 either, most late Honda vehicles use that size or may be size 51R. They also don't have size 49 for many European vehicles either.

Last edited:
One thing about the batteries at our local (I can hardly get the name out) Walmart, the batteries are always fresh because Walmart is really the only game in town. Most battery sizes are usually the current month or maybe a month old.I see batteries being installed every time I go there.

Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
I have just bought a size 35 Interstate from Costco. 640 CCA and 800 CA which is the same spec as a Mega-Tron Plus size 35. The Costco one has 42-month free replacement vs 30-month free replacement for the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus.

how much was it? was it over $80 (before tax)

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
They don't have size 51 for my S2000 either, most late Honda vehicles use that size or may be size 51R. They also don't have size 49 for many European vehicles either.

Yes the options are very limited.

Measure your battery compartment and then take your tape measure to Costco (or wherever). I've done this several times with great results. As long as the terminals correspond and it will mount OK and is at least the same rating as original (often more), go for it. Last purchase it was 1/2" higher but fit fine with more CCA. Most fitment guides are not complete or up to date.

Just measure the battery compartment then go to this site to find suitable battery for your vehicle

http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

My S2000 battery compartment has enough room for a small BCI-51, the clearance on length and width are 1/4" and may be 1/2 on height. There is no other battery within BCI-51 plus 1/4".

The E430 and V70 have battery under the rear seat and in the trunk. Group size 49 is probably largest battery available almost anywhere, the OE battery in V70 is either 34 or 65 but it has room for 49.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back