Purple Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with Royal Purple's Purple Ice coolant additive? I just added some to the radiator along with my brand new 50/50 HOAT and distilled water mixture. Haven't seen a difference yet, but the real test will be tommorow when I take it out in stop and go city traffic.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
What problem are you trying to solve.

^^this^^

I would think that if you've got overheat issues with current moderate weather here in TX, an additive won't do much.

I always use Redline Water Wetter just for the lubricating properties for the water pump (guessing RP Purple Ice is basically the same thing?).

Why does there always have to be a problem to solve?
confused.gif
They advertise that it can get your engine to run up to 20 degrees cooler. Sounds like a good idea to me! Since I have fresh coolant in there, I figured this was the time to try something new! Plus, before long it will be 100 degrees in the greater Galveston area, and overheating can be the kiss of death for this series of Ram engine. Just trying to keep everything nice and cool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I always use Redline Water Wetter just for the lubricating properties for the water pump (guessing RP Purple Ice is basically the same thing?).

Same idea, but they say that Redline foams up a lot worse than RP. Youtube has comparison videos that have redline and RP side by side that you can watch. I was going to go with the redline until I saw that.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Same idea, but they say that Redline foams up a lot worse than RP. Youtube has comparison videos that have redline and RP side by side that you can watch. I was going to go with the redline until I saw that.

Redline or even Purple Ice with possibly foam up if you do not follow the correct application of the product(Over use). I do use Water Wetter in my 90 Jaguar XJS V12 and it did lower the temps around 5 degrees... With a V12 you do have to keep an eye on the coolant temp. LOL. I have never really had overheating issues on any of my collector cars because I keep up on the maintenance of my vehicles...

confused.gif
They advertise that it can get your engine to run up to 20 degrees cooler. Sounds like a good idea to me! Since I have fresh coolant in there, I figured this was the time to try something new! Plus, before long it will be 100 degrees in the greater Galveston area, and overheating can be the kiss of death for this series of Ram engine. Just trying to keep everything nice and cool.

I'm interested in how it tricks the thermostat into operating at a lower temperature.

I was going to ask what Shannow just asked but he beat me to it.

On top of that question though, why is 20 degrees cooler a good idea? You want the engine to operate at the design temperature for greatest efficiency, don't you?

confused.gif
They advertise that it can get your engine to run up to 20 degrees cooler. Sounds like a good idea to me!

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I was going to ask what Shannow just asked but he beat me to it.

On top of that question though, why is 20 degrees cooler a good idea? You want the engine to operate at the design temperature for greatest efficiency, don't you?

confused.gif
They advertise that it can get your engine to run up to 20 degrees cooler. Sounds like a good idea to me!

This is exactly what I was questioning.

When discussing stock engines, why would we want to lower the operating temperature? Aren't engines designed to optimally operate at a specific temperature range? And don't the engine designers select the thermostat that keeps the engine running in that temperature range? If the designers wanted the engine to operate at a lower temperature, wouldn't they simply spec a lower temp thermostat?

It seems to make much more sense to use products, such as Water Wetter in a heavily modified or custom built engine, where it may be more difficult to get the engine to run at the correct temperature.

So, yea. Unless there is a problem, why would one want to lower the operating temperature? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
As for the water wetter, I just did the unscientific test of shaking both bottles in Oreilly's. They both foamed, but the RP stopped almost immediately.

When you run your vehicle in stop and go traffic everyday, in an environment that may as well be a desert, lower operating temperatures can definitely be an improvement.

Today I ran the truck for about 60 miles. Thermostat was noticeably lower than before. I dont have a way to get a definite reading yet, but everything is working as advertised.

Last edited:
Oh, so your car was overheating then, that's why a reduction in (normal) operating temperature is an improvement?

And I'm sure you meant temperature, not thermostat - but that brings up Shannow's question that I repeated - how is your operating temperature reduced when it is controlled by a mechanical thermostat?

And how are you measuring coolant temperature?

When you run your vehicle in stop and go traffic everyday, in an environment that may as well be a desert, lower operating temperatures can definitely be an improvement.

Today I ran the truck for about 60 miles. Thermostat was noticeably lower than before. I dont have a way to get a definite reading yet, but everything is working as advertised.

I was typing that post on a smartphone. Excuse the slip there. My vehicle was not overheating, I was just trying to reduce the operating temperature, and it worked. I am just measuring the temperature by the gauge on the cluster. Not very scientific.

which gets me to repeat my question on how what's essentially a surfactant in the cooling water can make the thermostat control said cooling water to a lower temperature.

Its magic. Probably a mixture of unicorn tears and fairy dust. Heck I dont know. Call RP or Redline and ask them! Im just the consumer, not the engineer
wink.gif

I'm pretty sure radiator systems which require HOAT coolant want nothing other than that in their system whether it be antifreeze or additives.

A lot like ATF+4.

Do you know if your gauge even registers a temperature change like that? Many do not.

My vehicle was not overheating, I was just trying to reduce the operating temperature, and it worked. I am just measuring the temperature by the gauge on the cluster. Not very scientific.

Yes it will register slight deviations. I plan on installing a legitimate coolant temp gauge on a cluster mounted to the a post in my truck. Once I do that I will be able to give a more solid reading. Goodbye income tax money
cool.gif

Last edited:
I used most of the coolant additives over the years and some work well.

180F thermosat and 210F radfan gives plenty of room for improvements in several of my vehicles. Fan cycles less often. Less power loss(cheap me vs aggressive knock sensor and low octane fuel) and can definitely feel timing pulled as outdoor temps increase(summertime traffic...). Less of an issue with additive. Also, notice better heat from the heater during winter chill... btu's baby!

Its more about BTUs then perfectly measurable temp changes. I'd guess that localized hot spots less of an issue and average internal coolant temps more consistent.

I am a NoRosion and Koolit user now. No negatives with RP or RL when I used them. http://lubegard.com/pdfs/KOOLIT_comparison_sheet.pdf

I've also never had a headgasket, waterpump, or radiator issue, which seems to be a common enough problem reported on certain makes/models that I've owned. 30years, 2 million miles, plenty of vehicles.... I will continue to add a coolant additive.

If some haven't used or tested it, maybe some shouldn't comment on it.

JK, enjoy the PurpleIce.

Thanks for the heads up! After looking at that chart, it doesn't surprise me that BG passed the tests. They make great additives. They were going to be my next choice. I have used everything else BG and they always work well and they really do stand behind their warranty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back