why does lexol make seats sticky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in the past I used squirt bottle lexol 4 years old and seats were then shiny and slippery.
today I used the spray on pump bottle lexol cleaner and then the spray on lexol leather conditioner and the seats were dull, and you don't slide on them, very slightly sticky. what did i do wrong or have they changed the composition?

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
in the past I used squirt bottle lexol 4 years old and seats were then shiny and slippery.
today I used the spray on pump bottle lexol cleaner and then the spray on lexol leather conditioner and the seats were dull, and you don't slide on them, very slightly sticky. what did i do wrong or have they changed the composition?

That's the same effect I get from it too. Makes your seats feel like you spilled maple syrup on them. Only thing I like about Lexol is the smell.

I have old bottles more than 8-10 years old and they are still good.

I don't know, probably only Lexol knows if the composition of either cleaner or conditioner or both had been changed in the last 2-3 years.

You're probably seeing residual dirt on the surface. The leather needs to be thoroughly cleaned with an acceptable APC and/or steamer before applying any conditioner.

Are you buffing it out with a clean cloth a few minutes after applying the conditioner?

You do realize that most leather is encapsulated in plastic and leather conditioner does little to nothing right? Assuming they are encapsulated Aerospace 303 would be a far better product.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
You do realize that most leather is encapsulated in plastic and leather conditioner does little to nothing right?

Bingo
Most leather seats today are coated/protected, trying to condition coated/protected leather seats will probably do more harm than good. It's best to use a protectant designed for coated leather.

so what type leather on my 99 i30 (maxima)

Definitely use a dedicated leather product. I've read/heard that vinyl protectants made for dashboards,exterior plastics,etc can harm the stitching in the leather seats. Don't know if it's myth or fact,but I'd rather use something that's made for leather.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
You do realize that most leather is encapsulated in plastic and leather conditioner does little to nothing right?

Bingo
Most leather seats today are coated/protected, trying to condition coated/protected leather seats will probably do more harm than good. It's best to use a protectant designed for coated leather.

Bingo bingo.
I used Lexol for years on my "leather" front seats, then was dismayed to discover the "leather" was coated in vinyl and I might have hasened their demise. Lexol cleaner still works great at removing dirt, but no more Lexol oil conditioner.

All leather has some kind've protective coating on it,but it's porous and therefore "breathes". Using a good leather specific cleaner and conditioner will keep the fibers and seams conditioned and lubricated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back