Subaru AT differential fluid changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
How hard are they for the CVT(/regular AT? Not sure if they have the same AWD setup) to do? I think rear differential should be fairly easy, not sure about the front. I don't think anything needs to be done with the center though, correct? Being electric? CVTF is separate from the differential fluid, and it's designed to almost never be replaced, just inspected every 30k or so.

Last edited:
I don't know if they've changed it, but front and rear differential used to be very easy on Subarus.

Rear differential is like most differentials, clean it off, remove the fill plug, remove the drain plug and drain the oil, return drain plug, fill with oil, return fill plug.

The front differential is like an oil change, you drain from below, return the plug, then fill it from the top. You fill it through the front differential dipstick tube that's located in the engine bay. It's low down near the firewall on the passenger side of the vehicle.

The CVTs are a different story. Last I heard Subaru says to take it to them for all servicing including a routine drain and fill. If I recall correctly, there's no way to check the fluid level, so you have to measure what comes out during the drain, and then fill with that much clean fluid. Subaru has some machine/process of doing this to measure how much comes out. That being said, I have read on forums of people doing it themselves on their Subarus.

I wish Subaru would've made the CVT more serviceable to DIY owners. Either a dipstick for the CVT, or having the fill hole on the side as opposed to the top so that it'd be like a differential fill hole, just fill till fluid starts to dribble out and that's when you know it's full. I'm not an engineer, so I'm not sure if that would work for something as large as the CVT pan, but whatever the necessary solution is, I wish Subaru would've made their CVT more self serviceable for the owners.

Well I got charged over $500 for a brake, oil, and diff oil change last time, so I'd like to ignore the dealer until something major is required like replacing coolant hoses or something.

Originally Posted By: sicko
The CVTs are a different story. Last I heard Subaru says to take it to them for all servicing including a routine drain and fill. If I recall correctly, there's no way to check the fluid level, so you have to measure what comes out during the drain, and then fill with that much clean fluid. Subaru has some machine/process of doing this to measure how much comes out. That being said, I have read on forums of people doing it themselves on their Subarus.

I wish Subaru would've made the CVT more serviceable to DIY owners. Either a dipstick for the CVT, or having the fill hole on the side as opposed to the top so that it'd be like a differential fill hole, just fill till fluid starts to dribble out and that's when you know it's full. I'm not an engineer, so I'm not sure if that would work for something as large as the CVT pan, but whatever the necessary solution is, I wish Subaru would've made their CVT more self serviceable for the owners.

Subaru CVTs are very DIY friendly. They do have a fill plug on the side of the case and you literally just fill until it spills out, start the car and let it warm up, and once it stops spilling out the side you are done. No dipstick needed. The only thing you have to watch out for is that the case is aluminum and you can easily strip the threads.

Even though the owners manual for the American CVTs claim to just check the fluid every 30K the US service manuals say to drain and fill every 24,855 Miles (40K KM).

Originally Posted By: horse123
Well I got charged over $500 for a brake, oil, and diff oil change last time, so I'd like to ignore the dealer until something major is required like replacing coolant hoses or something.

Was that brake pads and rotors or just brake fluid?

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued

Subaru CVTs are very DIY friendly. They do have a fill plug on the side of the case and you literally just fill until it spills out, start the car and let it warm up, and once it stops spilling out the side you are done. No dipstick needed. The only thing you have to watch out for is that the case is aluminum and you can easily strip the threads.

Even though the owners manual for the American CVTs claim to just check the fluid every 30K the US service manuals say to drain and fill every 24,855 Miles (40K KM).

Oh that's excellent. I could've swore i read that it fills from the top and you have to measure how much comes out and replace the exact amount. This actually makes me happy to hear, because of all the CVTs the Subaru one is one of the few I'd consider buying. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
Originally Posted By: horse123

Was that brake pads and rotors or just brake fluid?

Just brake fluid...

Also I have a service manual and it says check fluid at 30k, 60, 90, 120... No mention of changing it in the regular maintenance part.

Ouch horse123. How many hours of labor did they claim? It looks like they charged you $400 for just the labor. A brake fluid change, oil change, and differential fluid change can be done at home for about $60-100 depending on how expensive of fluids you want.

I have two different manuals that I acquired from Ebay. Under "Maintenance Schedule 2" on the newer copy it shows to Replace CVTF at 40K KM or 24,855 Mi under Repeat towing trailer, High humidity or Mountain area, and Repeat short distance driving. The older one does not show anything except replace at 40K KM or 24,855 under the Repeat towing trailer section.

They supposedly inspected other things like brake pads and tread depth and several parts for wear, but those can be done on a lift in like 30 minutes or less combined.

@sicko

The dealer is doing it at 15k intervals because it's a severe maintenance schedule being in a very cold and occasionally very hot climate. Also with the way I drive it couldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back