BATFE Proposing to ban M855 ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of surplus M855 ammo now on the market. The military is now using a lead free version of the round and once the surplus ammo is gone am sure that we will see a lot of price increases for 223/5.56 ammo across the board.

Often see 1000 round rounds for sale on the internet and at the local Wal-Mart.

Looks like a good time to buy.

Well the same logic they are using this time is what they used to ban the cheap 5.45x39mm. The fact that people are buying pistol AR/AK variants allows them to ban it as an AP pistol round.

The BATFE is out of control for sure.

I had stocked up on XM-193 when the prices came back down, since my indoor range prohibits steel core, it's good inexpensive range ammo.

But, since the BATF is considering banning it, and I don't like being told what I can and can't do, I just ordered 1,000 rounds of XM-855. Just to have some...

I have to admit that I took a look for some. But the two places that I normally buy ammo from, Wideners and Palmetto, are both out of stock on M855. I don't know if they had been out for a while or it was very recent. I checked last about a month ago.

But both places are still showing the XM-193 in stock.

Letter sealed up for the mail on Tuesday.

Of course, one could argue that the industry did it to themselves by making AR pistols. Of course hatt and bubba and a few others will come on and label me as anti-gun, that's fine, but the practical side of me just doesnt get it...

LOLOLOL. I took a break from vacationing just go see what you've said about this issue. Not sure if you're serious about blaming the industry but I imagine it's at least in ghe bzck of your mind. The good news is that if prices go crazy I'll be offloading some nice IMI. Nothing really special about M855.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Letter sealed up for the mail on Tuesday.

Of course, one could argue that the industry did it to themselves by making AR pistols. Of course hatt and bubba and a few others will come on and label me as anti-gun, that's fine, but the practical side of me just doesnt get it...

I don't think you are anti-gun, somewhere in the middle depending on the situation maybe ? You may be right about the industry making AR pistols. We (gunners) walk on egg shells in today's world.

AR pistols have been out for a VERY long time....well over 10 years. The fact is the ATF got a new permanent head in 2013 that was the President's choice and just like many appointees, shares much of the chief executives ideology.

They are going after the easy low hanging fruit by reversing previous rulings and reinterpreting previous laws to limit and restrict what they can since they know that no new legislation is going to make it through congress.

Last edited:
Yep, AR pistols have been out since the early 90s. I recall handling one made by Olympic Arms back then. I can recall thinking that it looked pretty "mean" but couldn't think of a practical purpose for it. The muzzle blast was oppressive on an outdoor range and beyond belief in a tire house. The performance of the M-193 was also lackluster in the short barrel.

Very good point in asking "why now?"

Not arguing that XM855 isn't a better round than say AE223, but I just don't see all the hub-bub about getting it. Sure, it has a steel tip, but if you really want a "penetrator" round, grab an old mosin nagant and some mil-surp Russian silver tip 7.62x54r and there you go. I, though, do not like how the ATF is trying to ban this. Most, if not all .223 will penetrate a level IIIA (widely used by uniformed LEO's) with ease. I can see .223/5.56 prices going back up near $1.00 a round sometime in the near future.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
The NRA screwing its own members causing panic buying.

They are informing people of the actions of the ATF. What people do with that info is on them.

Simply put the ATF under the current chief have a goal...shorten the supply by limiting choices and deter people from buying by making it cost prohibitive. Anything they can do by decree to make it harder for people to buy guns/ammo since any legislation is a non starter. The ATF chief is echoing the man that nominated him that once said "I have a phone and a pen" when congress would not pass what he wanted.

No it is not.

Disarming the public a peck at a time, The public is really ignorant and easily fooled,

Meh, if one had stuck with a useful gun in a useable caliber; it wouldn't be such a pickle. I personally don't get the attraction. Far better SD choices, not really useful for game. I'm an Army vet, and I did unit and direct support repairs on small arms; so I don't get nostalgic for toting one around.

It's not my first choice caliber, but I do have one. This one: http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?it...bf-df84e8fd90f4

With a carry handle.

I find that a 5.56mm is great for plinking and teaching. Modest recoil, high capacity, cheap ammo, easy to shoot, common parts and accessories, and easy to handle.

If I had to grab one gun from the safe, and I knew I was going to be doing some shooting, for SD, for game, or even for target, I would favor this one:
http://www.dpmsinc.com/AP4-308762-NATO_ep_125-1.html

Though, if quick handling weren't a big consideration, I am partial to this one:
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

My introduction to this old girl was to run five miles on a soft, sandy beach in Pensacola while holding one at arms length while being yelled at by Marine DIs. If you think a Garand is heavy when handed over the counter at your LGS, you shoul feel one at the end of that run! But she remains the greatest battle implement ever devised.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2cool
Meh, if one had stuck with a useful gun in a useable caliber; it wouldn't be such a pickle. I personally don't get the attraction. Far better SD choices, not really useful for game. I'm an Army vet, and I did unit and direct support repairs on small arms; so I don't get nostalgic for toting one around.

It is cheap and reliable brass ammo for target practice and training, especially good for a 1 in 9 twist barrel. It has sporting purposes and has been around since 1980. This is the ATF trying to grab any low hanging fruit they can. The fact is if they get this, I bet XM193 55gr ammo is next under the crazy logic they are proposing to redefine armor piercing "pistol" rounds.

Originally Posted By: CT8
No it is not.
Don't kill the messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back