Autocraft vs. Interstate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some time ago, I mentioned that I was having trouble with what appeared to be a parasitic drain on my Ranger, noted in my signature (see thread for more detail:)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ers#Post3546624

I had not had the time to deal with it and had backbucketed it. Needed truck last Sunday, went out and dead. Put my charger on it and turned it to 10 amp and it ripped right off. Ended up going to Menards and buying a NOCO 3500 and a 100" extension cord, hooking it up and letting it sit all week (no garage, wasn't going to get my new charger ripped off and my CTEC is hooked up to the Mustang right now.

Since I had Friday off, I advanced this up to priority status and took it to the mechanic that I have used for years. He ran the diagnostic for a parasitic draw and it came back below Ford spec. His diagnosis (and he even admits that it is a WAG) is that the battery is bad (it passed a carbon pile he did) or insufficient for the truck, even though it is the proper battery for the truck. He went on about AAP batteries are "part store batteries" and are not as "durable" as the Interstate he wanted to sell me (not buying it.)

However, I would like to try to find a battery with better specs than what I have (550CCA, 90 reserve.) I think that if I am going to dump an 11 month old battery, I'll just go to the dealer and buy a Motorcraft (AAP/Interstate/Motorcraft are all Johnson control anyway, probably to different specs.) and it is about the same price anyway, maybe slightly less, as Ford is now running a $25 mail in on the Motorcraft. Cannot find specs on line anywhere about either the plus or max, or availability for the truck. Therefore, I will have to check with a dealer.

Back to the question:
1. Are "part store batteries" inferior to brands like interstate? I have never found this to be the case anyway and always have had good service with them anyway. I would not give this a second thought, except this comes from a good, honest guy who has always been straight with me before.

2. Since there is no excessive draw, will searching for a heavier duty battery be beneficial. Don't mind buying if it will help, but also don't want to go throwing $ down a rathole.

Opinions?

Interstate is great for mechanics because of their distribution network. They don't care how small you are as long as you have a tax ID number.

If you did get a motorcraft battery that would at least shut up know it all mechanics.
wink.gif

My mom had an autocraft in her 06 odyssey for a long time. Never any issues. There are those batches out there that are better than others. Maybe the ranger will like the motorcraft, cause us know, ford stuff. Lol.

My experience has been opposite. The Interstates installed by a trusted mechanic lasted 24 months each. Most expensive battery I have purchased, also. Only time I have had to replace a battery under the 36 mo warranty. Out of warranty, it got replaced with a Costco battery.

In contrast, every Autocraft and Walmart Maxx battery I have purchased has made it five years minimum, with one going to nine.

The Walmart MAXX (made by JCI around here when I last looked) is top of the list for most groups on Consumer Reports. Given they have a good price and are everywhere, I see no reason to go elsewhere unless you really hate Walmart.

If you order enough of almost anything you can have it made to your spec or at least choose the spec you want when you negotiate the deal. So one does not really know if various batteries made by JCI (Insterstate included) are all made to the same spec. But they will be better than one made by Exide.

It's possible that the battery really is fine and you're just not driving the car enough to keep the battery charged. If it's just 11 months old, you probably have at least a 2 or 3 year warranty on it. Why not just take it to AAP and have them test the battery? If it's bad, at least you'll get a new one. My luck with the last couple AAP batteries is about 4 years. I had a Motorcraft that I replaced after 8 years because I didn't think it could last much longer, not that it died. Second Motorcraft only lasted 6 years and I happened to be near AAP when it died so that's the only reason the last two have been from there. They seem to be ok, I think sometime whether you get a good one or a bad one is the luck of the draw. They do seem to have the lowest price for a battery once you factor in their discount codes. Cheaper than Walmart with their everyday low prices.

I have Motorcraft in a couple vehicles and Interstates in my trailer. So far all 5 are good.

I have a stupid question.......I have a couple of Costco batteries (No issues, good so far) but I have read that they have replaced that line with Interstates. Is this a regional thing, or do all Costcos sell Interstates now?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
It's possible that the battery really is fine and you're just not driving the car enough to keep the battery charged. If it's just 11 months old, you probably have at least a 2 or 3 year warranty on it. Why not just take it to AAP and have them test the battery? If it's bad, at least you'll get a new one. My luck with the last couple AAP batteries is about 4 years. I had a Motorcraft that I replaced after 8 years because I didn't think it could last much longer, not that it died. Second Motorcraft only lasted 6 years and I happened to be near AAP when it died so that's the only reason the last two have been from there. They seem to be ok, I think sometime whether you get a good one or a bad one is the luck of the draw. They do seem to have the lowest price for a battery once you factor in their discount codes. Cheaper than Walmart with their everyday low prices.

Not driving enough is part of the problem, I admit.
However, the truck was 5 years old with the original Motorcraft when I bought it. Never did it with this battery until it woofed, 2 yrs. later
Replaced it with a midgrade from Wally World (only application they had to fit.). No issues, that was good for almost three years until it woofed. Prorate was so bad, I saved $ buying a new battery from Advance w/discount codes.
Ended up buying an AAP Silver (again, the only application they had to fit.) First one lasted a year. Took it in. Tested bad, got another. Started having this issue. Battery tested good @ AAP, and it tested good for my mechanic. Just doesn't seem to hold a charge as well as some.
Not knocking AAP, I have AAP Golds in all three of my vehicles and have not had a lick of problems. Would have bought a gold for this one if they would have had one to fit (and I even measured the truck and went in the store with my rule and was measuring batteries.)

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
My mom had an autocraft in her 06 odyssey for a long time. Never any issues. There are those batches out there that are better than others. Maybe the ranger will like the motorcraft, cause us know, ford stuff. Lol.

I put a Gold in our 2006 Odyssey as well. No drama, just does its thing.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Did the mechanic do the carbon pile test at 1/2 the CCA for 15 seconds and then read voltage? Or use one of the fixed load tester (100 amp or maybe 50 amp)?

I know he did the Carbon pile test on it (not sure of his parameters.) However, it tested good.

I would go for the battery with the best warranty and availability. Around here, the only Interstates in the area are at home depot for lawn and garden batteries. I love the one I have in the mower, since it is 8 years old and still cranks great, but the nearest car battery dealer for Interstate is a decent distance away and hardly ever open.

The same goes for WalMart. WalMart is open 24 hours and will probably have the best chance for replacement of a defective battery since they are everywhere. At my local WalMart, the battery center is only open on weekends, so that doesn't help me. I went with an Autozone battery after weighing my options.

Go for interstate. Autocraft is another poor quality battery found at Advance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Go for interstate. Autocraft is another poor quality battery found at Advance.

Both are built by Johnson Controls and if you buy the same spec batteries they are likely identical except for the label.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
He went on about AAP batteries are "part store batteries"

Well, if you think about it, aren't Interstate batteries also "store" batteries? It's not like they have their own exclusive factory.

I currently have a set of Interstate batteries in my diesel pickup. They are going on 4.5 years now, but when it gets cold (below zero) I notice they are significantly cranking slower especially after a good hit from the grid heaters.
My favorite battery to run are Die Hard Platinums. (Made by Odyssey) Everything Ive ever ran them in lasted me several years. Never had one fail prematurely to date. Unfortunately the store I used to purchase them from closed and the nearest is now well over an hour away.

Did some on-line battery shopping:

Wal-Mart has some interesting pricing:

Plus in a 58-3 2 year warranty, 590CCA is $98.87
Maxx in a 59 5 year warranty (3 free), 590 CCA is $99.97

Checked on-line @ a local Ford Dealer:

Motorcraft Plus, BXL-59, 84 mos warranty (18mos free) is $83.96
Motorcraft Max, BXT-59, 100 mos warranty (3 yr free) is $100.76

Priced out a DieHard at Sears:

59 series w?590 CCA $124.99

Priced a Duralast at AZ, priced similarly to the DieHard.

IMO, the Motorcraft looks like the ticket if I replace it.
Any feedback or other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back