HiPoint .40S&W Carbine Kaboom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new HiPoint .40S&W Carbine. Because I wanted a low price .40S&W Carbine.

Took it to the range Friday for the first time. Filled the magazine with standard Federal .40S&W ammo.

First shot at around 20 yards, drilled a perfect bullseye. Easy. Second shot KABLAM!!

Casing completely fragged, near obliteration. Found the first casing. Bulged! The bolt is jammed back with the firing pin stuck out in space.

This is the first time I've had such a thing happen and I was a bit rattled my right hand hurt like heck yesterday, but no holes. I mean I've had guns fail but never a blow out like this.

I will call them Monday. I looked at the chamber with a light and it doesn't look all that great, not like a well made chamber should. Can't take pictures of the chamber as it's way down in there but here the casing from the first round fired:

SW3.JPG

And the second round:

SW4.JPG

SW5.JPG

Here are the rounds in order. Third round bullet pushed back from concussion:

SW1.JPG

SW2.JPG

1) the way the first case looks makes me think your chamber is too large.
2) the second round looks like it fired out of battery.

BSW

When I was a kid, around 14 or so, my father used to take me out plinking with a Canadian Tire M16R (Squires Bingham Philippines) and I used to have a goal to shoot off a whole brick of ammo I use to save up to buy.

Shot piles of old white box Winchester Wildcat .22, and I really liked cheap Super Fast brand ammo that was always 10 bucks CDN a brick.

Never had a problem, and rarely a jam.

Then I tried to shoot a brick of Remington Thunderbolt ammo when they first came out, even paid a bit more for them.

Dirty horrible ammo. All irregular and inconsistent powder charges.

I was in a sand pit banging around at a garbage dump and pulled the trigger and the gun made a very odd click sound, very odd pop.

I unloaded the gun, and locked the action open and used a piece of paper to direct sun into the ejection port to see down the barrel, and it was blocked.

I found an old, very stiff bullrush and peeled it a bit thinner, and belive it or not I was able to push the bullet head back into the ejection port and roll it into my hand.

My father watched his 14 year old son pull this off. He was blown away.

Had I just cycled the action and just kept firing I'm sure I wouldn't have been seriously injured, but it would have definately destroyed the gun, as it is only a .22 so the power would have just split the barrel.

But to have a round like yours fail, that is a lot more powder than a .22LR... Glad you didn't get seriously hurt, never mind the gun!

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
1) the way the first case looks makes me think your chamber is too large.
2) the second round looks like it fired out of battery.

BSW

+1!

Another reason I am happy I never stocked or agreed to sell Hi Points when I had my FFL.

Rather have a Kel Tec SUB2000 anyday.

Glad you survived and didn't have any holes or missing digits. Hope they make it right by you.

Hi Points are a good value despite what others may say.

Not to question you Pablo, but are you sure it is a 4095 and not a 4595?. That much bulging looks like the chamber is totally oversized. Maybe there was a mixup at the factory.

If there is one thing I know from reading the Hi Point forums, MOM always makes it right.

Glad you weren't injured. I'd show Federal the damaged ammo. Could be a couple problems.

Maybe the 1st round had setback or too high a charge. The chamber may have distorted taking the brunt of the pressure. Second round looks OOB as others have said.

You should be contacting Federal as well as Hi Point.

Well half this box of the same ammo fed my Glock with no issues and the same lot (10 boxes purchased in 2011) were fired from my Sig 229 without a hiccup.

It's not the ammo!

That second round was struck with the action not fully in battery. The rear of the case was unsupported and blew out.

How the firing pin can slam fire or work when out of battery is a question for high point, but that's clearly what happened.

Be sure to get pictures of the firearm too. Take lots of pictures. They will likely ask you to return the firearm so they can examine it for the cause of the malfunction. That is a reasonable request but understand that if you send it in, you will not get it back. If you feel you have to take legal action (or file a claim) later, it will be gone and that is a major piece of evidence.

If you have any injuries, take photos of that too. If you went to the ER, keep a copy of the report.

I'm not advocating that you take legal action. I would like to think that everything will get resolved in a manner to your satisfaction and theirs. But having worked at a wholesale retailer years ago, I did see one case where the firearm was returned, it disappeared, and then the manufacturer denied any issues.

Glad its not the ammo, I've got a few hundred Federal .40's I can go back to not worrying about.

Sorry for your bad experience, Pablo. Glad you're OK. As others have said, MOM will do right by you. I have a 4095 and have run about a thousand rounds through it; hand loads, factory SD and FMJ ammo 155, 165, and 180 grain. I only had the normal failure to feed a few times, but that disappeared a long time ago.
Thankfully problems like these are rare, but do serve as a reminder to PAY ATTENTION to your gun.

I don't want to cause any trouble but Pablo should include all the information on here. He has already talked to MOM and they have let him know they want the gun back so they can see what is wrong with it. Like I say I am not trying to cause any trouble, just wish he would put the whole story on here like he did on the Hi-Point Forum. As for MR. ROBENSTEIN and his remarks about Hi-Points I own a 995TS & 4595TS & Kel-Tec Sub 2000 .40cal To say the Hi-Points are not as good as the Kel-Tec is a big bunch of horse doodoo. If you don't want to sell them or if you dont want to receive them for anyone else then that is your loss but why don't you keep your DUMB STUPID NONSENSE to yourself. Maybe you can explain about the S&W M&P shooting out of battery and yes it is a proven fact that it happens(look on utube)or the Glocks with bad barrels, do you sell those? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back