Castrol Syntec 5w-40, 4,126 miles, VW Passat 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the results of the first UOA on my 2003 Passat 1.8. The car had approx. 81,500 miles on it at the time of the sample. The oil had 4,126 miles on it and was in the car for a week shy of six months. Work is only about 1.5 miles away so the car does see a lot of short trips.

Overall, I am quite pleased; the wear metals look good, the viscosity held up and the TBN is strong. There is that fuel issue but I guess it is manageable.

The air filter was changed during this OCI.

She has GC in her now.

oil_analysis_01-1.jpg

The traces of fuel in the oil were probably because of your short trips to work. If you start the engine and turn it off then drain the oil, it will show traces of fuel due to rich air/fuel mixture (normal). You'd need to drive the car around for about 15 minutes to burn off the fuel.

These engines are fairly brutal on oil so it doesn't look too bad. Low flash point and fuel are probably related.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Probably could have gone a year on the oil - would have been about 8k......

I don't disagree with that. But, like a lot of people here, I'm hoping to keep my car for some years yet, so a bi-annual oil change doesn't seem out of line. VW recommends 5K OCI's, actually, and I'll probably leave the oil in for the full 5K in the future, regardless of time.

I'm just wondering if I should be overly concerned about the 'trace' of fuel in the oil. I don't know what a trace is; meant to call Blackstone about it today but I forgot. I believe the car has a bad EGR or "combi" valve which results in it running rich at cold start. My mechanic told me that I should just live with it.

Given that everything else seems well within normal limits, my feeling is that I shouldn't worry too much about the fuel situation. Flash point is a bit lower than I'd like, yes, but.. so what? Any thoughts on this appreciated.

my 2001 Passat 1.8T has a little over 80k miles, same as yours. I've done 3 UOA's, 2 with M1 0w40 and the most recent with Syntec 5w40. My mileage intervals are less than yours, but your wear numbers are a little better. On all 3, I've had at least a trace of fuel, but was told by Blackstone no big deal. My flashpoint with Syntec was also 375, with M1 405 and 370. The UOA on the Syntec was done stone cold, which is unusual for me (had no choice this time). Typically, I sample oil after at least a good 20 minute run to warm things up.

My UOA is posted here somewhere - the comment from Blackstone was "Perfect", yet I believe your report to be even more "perfect". I wouldn't worry - your report is excellent by any measure for a 1.8T!

Originally Posted By: blmqzjc
my 2001 Passat 1.8T has a little over 80k miles, same as yours. I've done 3 UOA's, 2 with M1 0w40 and the most recent with Syntec 5w40. My mileage intervals are less than yours, but your wear numbers are a little better. On all 3, I've had at least a trace of fuel, but was told by Blackstone no big deal. My flashpoint with Syntec was also 375, with M1 405 and 370. The UOA on the Syntec was done stone cold, which is unusual for me (had no choice this time). Typically, I sample oil after at least a good 20 minute run to warm things up.

My UOA is posted here somewhere - the comment from Blackstone was "Perfect", yet I believe your report to be even more "perfect". I wouldn't worry - your report is excellent by any measure for a 1.8T!

Thanks for the comments. Guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and find something else to worry about!

Impressive report especially for all the short trips.

Was this bulk dealer oil or did it come out of bottles?

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Impressive report especially for all the short trips.

Was this bulk dealer oil or did it come out of bottles?

Out of bottles. I think I got it at Autozone on special because there was a Mobil 1 filter on the car which I had forgotten about. I'm sure it was a package deal because I'm too cheap to pay for a M1 filter separately and almost always use a Purolator L30257.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back