96 Grand Caravan 3.3 Very Rich In Cold Mornings

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of our vehicles a 96 Dodge Grand Voyager 3.3 v6 200,000 miles runs very very rich that you have to keep your foot on the gas pedal otherwise it stalls. It does this only when very cold out but it won't smooth out for about 10-15 minutes and then runs well.
I don't have the van here it is about 3 hours away... Any ideas that i might have missed that i can tell him to look for?

other than weak O2 sensors, weak CAT, etc.

my thought leans toward the temp sensor (coolant sensor)

Other checking such as air filter condition, spark plugs, fuel rail pressure, leaking injectors, functional thermostat, etc.

Q.

I would check the idle air control solenoid on the throttle body because it sounds as if your fast idle is not working. Remove it, clean the pintle and the bore which it resides of carbon. An old toothbrush and carb cleaner will work. Then clean the throat of the throttle body and the butterfly.If it is running rich, you would likely have a code.

He told me it feels and smells like it is choking and holding his foot on the gas will make it not stall but still feel like it is choking with a lot of exhaust smell..He says it runs like an old carb. car that has a stuck almost fully closed choke. After it gets warm 10-15 minutes its much better.

Failed fuel pressure regulator? The cat could be warming up and eating it later.

that was my thought also but like i said its not close to me my son has it and he is away for college. If it was on the fuel rail it would be easy for him to check and even replace but of course its not and there has to be drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back