What would YOU put in it? 1955 GMC, original V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a little project going on and I'm wondering what oil BITOG would suggest using. 1955 GMC with the original Pontiac 287. It has about 40,000 miles on it and runs surprisingly well, very quiet. Drives alright but needs brakes. The oil hasn't been changed in 10 years, but has hardly been run. No sludge. It does have a filter, I ordered the Wix replacements for the canister.

I thought perhaps Rotella T 15w40. I know zinc levels are important, though the stock cam is very tame.

meantruck2.jpg

If you are going to show it as a "rat rod" with patina, I'd get some vintage 20W20 off ebay, and do a photo series of doing an oil change with it and show it with the car, with the empty cardboard canisters in an old wooden apple box in the tray.

With the additive levels of the day (pretty high, contrary to popular opinion), and an HTHS normally associated with a 30 these days, it would be entirely in keeping.

With an original, low miles engine that runs well I'd leave it in place and just concentrate on carb, cam and exhaust..

But if it HAS to have a swap then a Detroit Diesel or a Lamborghini V12

oooh, for a swap a nice 6.0 LS would be an amazingly easy one. Super compact and tons of aftermarket support.

But I would love it to remain original if possible...

I'll stick to the mantra he asked about; keeping the existing engine in there and what to use.

10w-30 dino HDEO. Right grade; has the add-pack you're looking for.

BTW - very nice! Love to see old iron come back to life. Hope you find some glass for it because the rest of the patina is KEWLLLLLL!!!!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

10w-30 dino HDEO. Right grade; has the add-pack you're looking for.

I agree.

Defy or M1hm 10w40. I am an hdeo fan though nd have no problem going that route.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion guys, this is strictly oil related. The stock engine will stay there.

Put in a 6.2L V8. LM9

*I am not sure when, but I seem to have a good candidate in my Blazer. Grindign wheel to the body, weld in some reinforcements and have at it..

Originally Posted By: Shark
Sorry for the confusion guys, this is strictly oil related. The stock engine will stay there.

Good. I don't like to look under the hood where a Pontiac engine should be and see a Chevy. That truck is a great find with the original 287 in it.

Oil. How about AMSoil Z-Rod, Valvoline VR1, or Joe Gibbs Hot Rod? 10w30 viscosity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
BTW - very nice! Love to see old iron come back to life. Hope you find some glass for it because the rest of the patina is KEWLLLLLL!!!!

I sealed the glass temporarily when I bought it a year ago. The patina will stay, I love it. This truck is surprisingly solid. On the insides of the front fenders original paint shows with no rust. 4 speed manual, 2 speed rear. My brother and I bought it for my dad when he retired but unfortunately he has not made an effort to do anything with it. We talked about reselling but my brother and I both like it too much. Should be interesting.

Awsome old truck! I would rewire the electrical and make sure the braking system is up to par. Clean up the chrome as well. Other than that, it should be good to go.
Do you have more pics of it? Inside the cab etc?

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Awsome old truck! I would rewire the electrical and make sure the braking system is up to par. Clean up the chrome as well. Other than that, it should be good to go.
Do you have more pics of it? Inside the cab etc?

Ask and you shall receive. I cleaned the chrome up and dyed the emblems before it was delivered to my parents house. Here's a pic.

IMG_20131221_165411.jpg

Also, below is a link with numerous photos. The pictures are not hosted by me, I found them randomly after I bought the truck. It was another potential buyer who took them.

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GMguy74/...ort=4&o=53

Last edited by a moderator:
I would use Defy 10W-40. Of course, Rotella T, T5, T6, M1 TDT ,Delo, Delvac, Maxlife, any conventional 30, 10W-30, 10W-40, or 20W-50 would more than suffice. Best of luck with that truck. Awesome that it retains it's Pontiac 287.

You are in PA, land of America Refining Group (ARG), that makes Brad-Penn oils.

I'd put Penngrade-1 SAE 30 in it!

Took the time to look at the pics...awesome rig!

But I find it's set-up odd - this was in the days before GM 'shared' everything, so why does it have a Pontiac V-8 in it?

Shouldn't it have a GM industrial engine in it...like the 305 V-6??? I think someone swapped-in another V-8 after whatever was in their gave up...still a cool ride, tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back