Computer Power Supply Ceramic Fuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 750 watt computer power supply appears to have its T15A250v white ceramic fuse blown.

Although it will serve as back-up if/when repaired, the 5mm x 20mm does not indicate if it's a fast or slow blown fuse. This is a soldered to the board type. Not a snap in.

Does it matter what is selected?

The fuse didn't blow on its own. The real cause should be repaired before putting in a new fuse. I don't think it would make much of a difference if you used either type of fuse, but I'd use a fast blow type if only for test purposes.

I have worked on switching power supplies for many years and nine out of ten times something caused the fuse to blow. Fuses do not wear out.I you insist on working on it, you likely will have a fast blow fuse there. I would just scrap it and move on.

I would bet one of the main switchers in the primary failed shorted, causing the fuse to blow. That power supply is likely toast. What is the OEM?

Get a replacement. And get a high quality power supply. Don't buy any of these cheap high wattage jobs, as they 99 times out of 100 will not be able to reliable do any real amount of power.

Check out this guys reviews for high quality stuff.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/

Be glad your motherboard and expensive stuff made it through.

I had an emachines mobo shoot off some capacitors like bottle rockets when the PS hated a surge during a thunderstorm. It was cool that I got to witness it but still a stinky mess.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I had an emachines mobo shoot off some capacitors like bottle rockets when the PS hated a surge during a thunderstorm. It was cool that I got to witness it but still a stinky mess.
frown.gif

I made that mistake once int he data center - plugged a non auto-switch monitor into 220. It snap, crackle, and pops.

Then a few years later I was putting a file server we acquired in an acquisition into the data center. Plugged it in and went to find a keyboard before powering it on. A few minutes later someone came running to find me "There's smoke coming from that server".... Turns out it was not an autoswitching unit and fried it all. Almost got the Halon dumped on that one. Looking at the motherboard, circuits were popped, chips split in 2, etc. Luckily the hard drives were OK and we were able to get data off it.

Thanks for the replies.

This PS is an XFX Extreme 750. It appears clean inside with no popped capacitors. It has been replaced and stored to be "worked on for entertainment purposes" and if repaired used as a back up since it has several sata connections. I figure replacing the fuse known to be good is the place to go first and considering fuses come in pkgs.(5) for about $5, why not.

This PS powered a 1155 motherboard with an intel 930 12 GB RAM. Two slots of RAM were found inoperable after the PS shutdown. Upon tear down of the machine, numerous pins under the processor were collapsed likely when it was reset and heat sink paste applied. When those pins were straightened, all cleaned, the RAM slots came back on line. A new PS was added and the machine operates fine but gets little play. I parted together a new machine around Thanksgiving and with upgraded mobo, RAM, r9 290x video card and SSD just flies,

If we are telling on ourselves here. Installing some gear in a CO that had AC power as well as the typical DC. I plugged the VT100 clone into the rack power.

It worked for about a day on 220 even though it was 110 only. It finally let out the magic smoke and stopped working.

It was during the first week with my new boss. Nothing like making a good first impression. Uhh, boss. We need to repair an ASCII terminal for a customer. I plugged it into 220v when it would only support 110v.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

I made that mistake once int he data center - plugged a non auto-switch monitor into 220. It snap, crackle, and pops.

frown.gif

Tee hee! I had that happen, on IIRC also an E-Machine, it popped so hard it dented the PSU case! It was awesome! Also had one arc out all over the place, it looked like welder!

Back in the day when I worked "regular" IT, my old boss took the HSF off an AMD CPU (the ceramic socket A ones) to see if it had thermal shut down like the Intel CPU's had. I told him it didn't. He discovered I was correct as it very quickly burned a hole through the board, LOL!

frown.gif

i burned a 700W psu after 7-8 years. i just moved and i just vacuumed the case/psu....
some spectacular arcs and some smoke was next...

Originally Posted By: javacontour
If we are telling on ourselves here. Installing some gear in a CO that had AC power as well as the typical DC. I plugged the VT100 clone into the rack power.
It worked for about a day on 220 even though it was 110 only. It finally let out the magic smoke and stopped working.
It was during the first week with my new boss. Nothing like making a good first impression. Uhh, boss. We need to repair an ASCII terminal for a customer. I plugged it into 220v when it would only support 110v.
Originally Posted By: itguy08

the best arcs ever was when electricians worked on the power and added new circuits on some walls. never bothered to tell us IT folks (different faze between walls).
so when some folk plugged the monitor in one wall and computer in another, some pretty sparcs ensued... the guys was shocked (when he realized what just happen....)

OP, i think you have a plan.
P.S. sorry for taking the thread Off-Topic
32.gif
but we IT guys "have to blow a fuse" from time to time :p

Hmmm, I have the 650W version of that power supply. I have the XFX Pro Modular 650W myself, just under 4 years now. Ordinarily I'd be concerned, but these are Seasonic built units so they should be extremely reliable most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back