AMSOIL AND A 2014 CHEVY SILVERADO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2014 Silverado with a 5.3 last November. This truck will see about 1500 - 2000 miles a month, 95% highway/interstate use and using E-85 about half the time. Currently I have about 4100 miles on the truck with my oil life monitor showing 42% oil life left. Once I hit about 7500 miles, I will drain the original fill oil, get a sample from Blackstone and refill with Amsoil and will use an Amsoil oil filter. This will be my first experience with the stuff. I normally use whatever synthetic or semi-synthetic that is on sale. Stay tuned...

Originally Posted By: delasueno
I just bought a 2014 Silverado with a 5.3 last November. This truck will see about 1500 - 2000 miles a month, 95% highway/interstate use and using E-85 about half the time. Currently I have about 4100 miles on the truck with my oil life monitor showing 42% oil life left. Once I hit about 7500 miles, I will drain the original fill oil, get a sample from Blackstone and refill with Amsoil and will use an Amsoil oil filter. This will be my first experience with the stuff. I normally use whatever synthetic or semi-synthetic that is on sale. Stay tuned...

Are you going to get a UOA on the factory fill or get a sample kit to test the amsoil? testing the factory fill is a waste in my opinion. But maybe I just misunderstood.

Not much reason to sample the FF, any wear or contamination will be elevated from break in noise and you won't learn anything meaningful until this is washed out. You will see high copper, iron, and silicon. All of this has to trend down before you see averages.

Subscribed. With that much driving - and almost all highway - Amsoil is a good choice. I'll be interested to hear the ongoing story...and agree that testing the FF is a waste but testing the Amsoil after 10k should show a little interesting info.

Amsoil is a good choice if you are not concerned about a DEXOS LABELED product.

If you continue to use E85 and get an oil analysis done, it won't be very promising OAI, even though the factory fill stuff likely a good oil from the start. E85 tends to break down the oil TBN at an accelerated rate no matter what brand you use. E85 also comes with a fuel economy penalty. I had one commercial entity who tested E85 in suburbans using E85 vs. E0 (100 gas). The mileage difference was a consistent 42% drop in mileage with the E85 over the same routes of travel. They dropped the idea when they learned it would cost them a good bit extra in dollars.
We use AMSOIL for some customers at our shop. I would avoid ethanol as much as much as possible especially if you plan to utilize a more expensive synthetic oil. I checked my data sheets and all three of the AMSOIL oils in 0W-20 grade specified for the '14 Silverado are Dexos certified.

Dr. Olds

Originally Posted By: drolds
If you continue to use E85 and get an oil analysis done, it won't be very promising OAI, even though the factory fill stuff likely a good oil from the start. E85 tends to break down the oil TBN at an accelerated rate no matter what brand you use. E85 also comes with a fuel economy penalty. I had one commercial entity who tested E85 in suburbans using E85 vs. E0 (100 gas). The mileage difference was a consistent 42% drop in mileage with the E85 over the same routes of travel. They dropped the idea when they learned it would cost them a good bit extra in dollars.
We use AMSOIL for some customers at our shop. I would avoid ethanol as much as much as possible especially if you plan to utilize a more expensive synthetic oil. I checked my data sheets and all three of the AMSOIL oils in 0W-20 grade specified for the '14 Silverado are Dexos certified.

Dr. Olds

AMSOIL oils are not on the dexos1 approved list, but they do meet the dexos1 specification.

dexos1 approval list

Also from AMSOIL's web site it states.

"Modified engines (non-stock) and those using E85 fuel are excluded from extended drain recommendations."

Last edited:
From Amsoil website-

In accordance with the dexos 1™ specification AMSOIL Inc has redesigned their products to meet and exceed dexos 1™ requirements

The above does not say the oil is Dexos certified, only that it meets the certifications.

I will send a sample of the factory oil off to Blackstone so I can start a UOA history on my truck. Once my oil gets changed in the next month I'm dropping in Amsoil, then changing the oil when my oil life monitor says its time. I would like to be able to compare what percentage GM says I have left on the oil to what Blackstone says how much life is left.

Last edited:
I checked my data sheets and all three of the AMSOIL oils in 0W-20 grade specified for the '14 Silverado are Dexos certified.

Originally Posted By: AMSOIL

AMSOIL is constantly reviewing the area of licensing and approvals. We realize that some customers, even when they understand the protection assured to them under Magnuson-Moss, still elect to use a dexos™ licensed motor oil, even if it’s of inferior quality. AMSOIL OE and XL are not currently dexos1™ licensed due to the onerous reporting requirements and fees placed on licensees by GM. AMSOIL strives to keep its prices as low as possible to meet the needs of the installer market, but as this segment of business continues to grow, AMSOIL may eventually be forced to absorb these fees and submit to the sales reporting requirements forced on oil manufacturers by GM.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I checked my data sheets and all three of the AMSOIL oils in 0W-20 grade specified for the '14 Silverado are Dexos certified.

Originally Posted By: AMSOIL

AMSOIL is constantly reviewing the area of licensing and approvals. We realize that some customers, even when they understand the protection assured to them under Magnuson-Moss, still elect to use a dexos™ licensed motor oil, even if it’s of inferior quality. AMSOIL OE and XL are not currently dexos1™ licensed due to the onerous reporting requirements and fees placed on licensees by GM. AMSOIL strives to keep its prices as low as possible to meet the needs of the installer market, but as this segment of business continues to grow, AMSOIL may eventually be forced to absorb these fees and submit to the sales reporting requirements forced on oil manufacturers by GM.

Amsoil oil has such an outdated distribution system-IMHO there is no way they are going to ever apply for certification. Their distribution model really limits their market exposure.

What are you going to look for? Is TBN the only parameter you are interested in? Is TBN retention what defines dexos certification?

Originally Posted By: delasueno
I will send a sample of the factory oil off to Blackstone so I can start a UOA history on my truck. Once my oil gets changed in the next month I'm dropping in Amsoil, then changing the oil when my oil life monitor says its time. I would like to be able to compare what percentage GM says I have left on the oil to what Blackstone says how much life is left.

I was going to go with Amsoil Signature Series, but was worried about the Dexos approval rating, so I just went with standard Mobil 1.

If I were you, I would run the Amsoil EAO oil filter and Mobil 1 0W20 AFE or Mobil 1 0W20 EP. You will be MORE than fine with either Mobil 1 products and they are BOTH Dexos 1 approved. GM endorses and recommends Mobil 1, so you will be safe.

If you are changing your oil out according to the GM OLM and the intervals are at 7,500 miles, Mobil 1 0W20 is MORE than adequate for your use and it's MUCH cheaper at Walmart than Amsoil is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I was going to go with Amsoil Signature Series, but was worried about the Dexos approval rating, so I just went with standard Mobil 1.

If I were you, I would run the Amsoil EAO oil filter and Mobil 1 0W20 AFE or Mobil 1 0W20 EP. You will be MORE than fine with either Mobil 1 products and they are BOTH Dexos 1 approved. If you are changing your oil out according to the GM OLM and the intervals are at 7,500 miles, Mobil 1 0W20 is MORE than adequate for your use and it's MUCH cheaper at Walmart than Amsoil is.

The OLM monitors the motor rpm's among other things. So each truck will be different. For some who drive mostly highway miles, the OLM exceeds 7,500 miles. For those who use Amsoil, Blackstone has sent back reports that extends far beyond the recommendations of the OLM under certain conditions. So, what some guys do is reset the OLM even though it really doesn't need an oil change according to Blackstone. That way GM cannot say you didn't change your oil according the OLM.

The above info is gathered from a Silverado Internet site I frequent.

You should be getting free LOF changes every 10,000 miles, right?

Suggest you hold-off on the Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 until after the free maintenance period and do 5,000 mile LOF services with Dexos 1 approved fluids (like Mobil 1 0W-20) in-between GM's Dealer oil changes at 10,000 and 20,000 and then another at 25,000 when the engine is still breaking in.

This is personally what I'd do and then go to a 10,000 mile OCI with Amsoil at 30,000 to make it easy to remember when a LOF service is due. Engine should be nice and broken in by then with all the contaminating wear metals flushed out for a good baseline to begin with Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 for 95% freeway driving.

Dealer will be a lot less inclined to give you grief about using Amsoil's higher quality products after 30,000 when they're not inspecting things closely with the free LOF services.

Watch out for fuel dilution issues with this engine; your prolonged periods of driving with the engine / oil fully warmed up might eliminate this problem that most drivers (with mixed driving styles) experience.

Stick with a Dexos 1 approved synthetic oil like Mobil 1 and you will be ok. I wouldn't go Amsoil just yet. GM has expressly stated in all their literature that you MUST use a Dexos 1 approved oil for warranty coverage. We all know that running Amsoil will not cause any oil related failures, but with my luck, it will happen to me. I don't want to take that chance.

Chevrolet and GMC offer 2 years/25K mile free oil changes. The AC Delco synthetic blend Dexos 1 oil that the dealer uses is not bad at all, especially in the truck engines. AC Delco Dexos 1 synthetic blend oil is made by ExxonMobil in case you didn't know that.

Last edited:
Subscribed. Now, as other have said there is no reason to do a UOA on the FF if you are looking at your "wear metals". They will always be high on the FF and you wont be able to draw any conclusions as far as a good OCI moving forward. You made a good choice on your oil and filter combo as it is certainly up to the task. Having said that, Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 and Mobil 1 EP 0w20 are both Dexos approved and are good to 10K-15K / 1 year. One of those two oils combined with a Fram Ultra filter can be had for less than Amsoil and are also up to the task. This is just my opinion though. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. Enjoy your truck!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Subscribed. Now, as other have said there is no reason to do a UOA on the FF if you are looking at your "wear metals". They will always be high on the FF and you wont be able to draw any conclusions as far as a good OCI moving forward. You made a good choice on your oil and filter combo as it is certainly up to the task. Having said that, Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 and Mobil 1 EP 0w20 are both Dexos approved and are good to 10K-15K / 1 year. One of those two oils combined with a Fram Ultra filter can be had for less than Amsoil and are also up to the task. This is just my opinion though. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. Enjoy your truck!

Very well said! I have the Fram Ultra on my CTS-V now, but I ran the Amsoil EAO oil filter on my first OCI. I wanted to see which filter keeps the oil cleaner and in better condition over a certain mileage. So far, both filters have done an excellent job and I have a bunch of both filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back