2007 GM 3.5L 6700mi M1 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning everyone.

I've owned a few GM 60* V6 equipped cars over the years, mostly 3100s, and aside from the intake gaskets failing they have all worn beautifully, extremely low by UOA standards.

This 3500 in my 2007 Buick Rendezvous has always run a little high.

I know there is a huge gap between my last two UOAs so trending is not possible.

My airbox is well sealed and I haven't had any engine work done. I forget the brand of air filter. We are in Cleveland, OH so there's plenty of salt on the roads in winter.

I did a top-end cleaning during this OCI, could that have picked up some silicon?

The car is used by my wife 5 days a week to take the kids to school. 5 miles in the morning, 5 miles in the afternoon. In between she will go shopping some days to add a few more miles. Once every 2-3 weeks we'll go on a 75 mile each-way day trip.

(FYI - The 10,000 mi OCI at far right is not correct... that was actually longer, closer to 14,000, I messed up the math when sending in the sample. I realize I was pushing it too far.)

The oil was in use for 9 months and I ran an M1 101 (now running a 201).

Thoughts appreciated.
Brian

UOA click here

Last edited:
Here's a direct link since some people don't like clicking:

RDVsanitizedforPosting.jpg

Don't mean to scare you but...I have a friend with a 3.5 in a 2006 Malibu and for no apparent reason the head gasket went around 100,000 miles. I suggest you monitor the coolant level for a while.

Secondly that engine only takes 4 quarts, which is rather small for the displacement, so I would keep a close eye on the oil level and condition.

Coolant and oil levels are both rock solid, neither is being "consumed" at all. The engine starts/sounds/drives like it did when new.

We are about to take this vehicle on a 3,000 mile round trip to FL. I'll change it again around the same mileage of 6,700, which should mean that the next UOA will look much better due to 'easy' highway miles.

I am also tempted to switch oils at that point. Castrol Edge 0W-30 perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back