Apollo 11 artifacts found...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live about five minutes away from his house in Cincinnati, and bought my second Rx7 from a surgeon neighbor that lived a couple houses down from him. He had another house about 20 minutes north of here near one of the local airports. I never did see him, but my dad did a few times, and I know a lot of other people would see him at the grocery store or driving around town. A couple times I drove past his house to see if he'd be out, always wondered if there were any neat moon-related things hidden away in there somewhere, apparently there really was!

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11ReturnedEagleArtifacts.html

What an awesome website--detailed photos & descriptions of everything in his bag. I didn't read it all, but a quick glance made me nostalgic for high quality items made of metal. The plastic of today's world is more practical, but there's nothing like the feel of an old metal anything, be it a camera or a simple clasp.

Some of those gadgets have the look of devices that were designed and built in a cost no object environment. Putting a man on the mood must have been a great project for those involved. Back in those days the public followed the program with great interest and expectations. Today many young people don't even know that it happened.

For the past 5 years I've been asking young people what that bright star is as I point up into space, brighter than any other star in sight. Not one of these young people has ever guessed that it was the International Space Station.

Not one of them could guess what year a man stepped on the mood for the first time and none of them knew the name Neil Armstrong. I guess it's to be expected because they could not explain what the letters JFK stood for either.

After telling them that JFK was the 35th President I told them that in 2017 he would be celebrating his 100th birthday in the White House with the current President, Obama. None of them answered that Obama would not be President in 2017 or that JFK was dead.

The two questions they all answered correctly, every one, was, who was Brad Pitt's first wife, Jenifer Aniston. The other question was who released the single "Big Homie" and they all got that one correct as well, P. Ditty.

It appears that the collective intelligence of our young people is focused on issues that really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back