Squeaks and rattles from under the truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there... Wife is freaking out as to a lot of "squeaks and rattles" from under the truck. "Mostly over potholes and bumps." I also am gonna give the PS fluid a change, ... but, this question is as to the squeaks and rattles.

Any idea what I should do, or tell her?

I was under the impression that they "can happen," especially on streets that are rough on a cars suspension and undercarriage, so....

Tinny squeaks and rattles are generally innoccuous. Clunks, on the other hand, are serious, wheel-falling-off type stuff.

Can you post a video?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Tinny squeaks and rattles are generally innoccuous. Clunks, on the other hand, are serious, wheel-falling-off type stuff.

Can you post a video?

smile.gif

I'll let the cameras roll as soon as I can. They always seem to stop when I get the camera out.

I was thinking maybe some suspension bushings,etc. My gf's Olds 88 would squeak like crazy going over bumps and stuff.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I was thinking maybe some suspension bushings,etc. My gf's Olds 88 would squeak like crazy going over bumps and stuff.

I sort of think that too.

The first thing I want to replace on the Expedition is the two passenger side wheels.. that way, all the wheels are of equal size....

And, while Faith is WORLDS better than "L" was about "things to fear on the vehicle," (what could go wrong, etc..) I get a good dose of the 'tude sometimes.

I do a lot for the truck.. she knows it.

But we aren't in a "Volvo" type of situation. No way, no how.

We welcome the Honda and Blazer... and another V70 XC...

Squeaks and creaks, accompanied with heavy rattles/clunking, if isolated to the front of an Expy is likely ball joints. Heard hundreds of them.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Hello there... Wife is freaking out as to a lot of "squeaks and rattles" from under the truck. "Mostly over potholes and bumps." I also am gonna give the PS fluid a change, ... but, this question is as to the squeaks and rattles.

Tell her to avoid as many potholes as possible and maybe the squeaks are due to the cold weather. Vehicles will ride harder in the winter because the shock absorber fluid gets thicker.

Squeaks and rattles?

I have a squeaky shackle. The hatch rattles. Transmission mount and motor mounts are gone - so the transmission hits the floor on big bumps. Front endlinks are shot and clunk horribly.

It's all getting fixed, though!

I was under the impression that they "can happen," especially on streets that are rough on a cars suspension and undercarriage, so....

Its a raccoon nest. Perhaps a baby rattle or old paint can was used in building the nest and when your wife hits the holes it aggravates the raccoon which makes him squeak..and shakes the baby rattle and paint can.

I would file a claim with the ASPCA on defense of the raccoon claiming that the potholes are inhumane. Perhaps you have a class action lawsuit?

Save up to $100 and then make an appointment with a shop for a full "prepurchase" type inspection. They will go over everything and give you a list in of all that is wrong. Do not ask for charity discounts or deferring payments because at that point a lot of people will do a half assed check and tell you things are fine to get you out the door.

Don't waste time or money changing the ps fluid again. You also mentioned doing an oil change in another thread. Skip that because you are only at 5k miles with Royal Purple. Put that money towards an inspection.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Save up to $100 and then make an appointment with a shop for a full "prepurchase" type inspection. They will go over everything and give you a list in of all that is wrong. Do not ask for charity discounts or deferring payments because at that point a lot of people will do a half assed check and tell you things are fine to get you out the door.

Don't waste time or money changing the ps fluid again. You also mentioned doing an oil change in another thread. Skip that because you are only at 5k miles with Royal Purple. Put that money towards an inspection.

This.

Usual suspects are ball joints, UCA bushings and sway bar end links.

In the cold...you'll hear alot more squeaks and rattles. Your suspenion parts like your shocks and tires are affected. Plus the roads get bumpier.

The first thing I want to replace on the Expedition is the two passenger side wheels.. that way, all the wheels are of equal size....

The first thing should be to get matched tires on the same axle. If two of the tires have smaller diameters than the two others, then they should be on the same axle, not the same side of the vehicle.

And now, I go to work at Amazon.

Hopefully.. No "Randomly generated Mandatory Time Off" for 25 people tonight. That staffing agency SUCKS lol.

thumbsup2.gif

Dude, get your steering and suspension fixed, you shouldnt drive it with the steering wheel so far off center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back