A simple bulb....

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I am on rock auto picking a new headlight for one of our cars, I figure I should pick up some bulbs as well.

Something simple, nothing fancy. plan to pick up a few as all my cars use the 9007#. Choices are either Wagner, GE, or Phillips.

Heard good things about Phillips, but I'm just not a bulb guy.....

I think Philips pretty much has the automotive bulb market tied up and you don't do that by offering a lousy product. Philips is what I buy and I've not been disappointed.

I have not seen that large a difference in the name brands as long as its a regular or long life bulb. So I buy based on price.

The "brighter" ones I pass over as their lifespans are to short.

Probably they are all more or less the same. I like GE though. My GE high-output HO6054 sealed beams have lasted well beyond their specified life expectancy.

Rather than looking for a brand, look for long-life and/or high-output versions of the 9007 bulb. Also, avoid white- or blue-light (white- or blue-coated) versions, which decrease the light output and they can make it more uncomfortable for both you and the oncoming traffic.

Why don't you just get the Sylvania 9007 Xtravisions at you local Wally World? The twin packs are inexpensive and they last forever while putting out above average output.

Last edited:
Philips Xtreme Power are the brightest 9007 available.

As for LED, you need a specialized housing and lens in order to use them as high/low. Pain in the rear to retrofit too due to the heatsink required on the units.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I was looking to see if there are any LED versions for 9007 but they are only for fog lights, not recommended or legal for headlights.

I've installed two sets of LED headlight bulbs just this week, and they blow the doors off of both halogen and xenon.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I've installed two sets of LED headlight bulbs just this week, and they blow the doors off of both halogen and xenon.

What brand? Any output pictures? I'm into the retrofitting scene and would love to find an easier way than slicing up *MDX projectors and fabbing up new heatsinks.

This happens to be a foglight application that I did, but the difference in power is quite clear between these LEDs and halogen. Turning on the new 55W xenon headlights hardly makes a difference in visibility.

Halogen:

Both LED:

Difference is pretty clear.

The Halogen has a reasonable cut-off about 3-4 feet above the ground and it probably will meet the ground at around 50-100 feet. The LED is much brighter but there is no cut-off that I can see, therefore LED in this fog light can blind oncoming traffic.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
Why don't you just get the Sylvania 9007 Xtravisions at you local Wally World? The twin packs are inexpensive and they last forever while putting out above average output.

I might, but I figure since I have to order the headlight on Rock auto.....

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I was looking to see if there are any LED versions for 9007 but they are only for fog lights, not recommended or legal for headlights.

Never seen 9007 LEDs....

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
GE Nighthawk Platinum are on closeout at some places. Very good ones.

Would...but they are all gone here..
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

This happens to be a foglight application that I did, but the difference in power is quite clear between these LEDs and halogen. Turning on the new 55W xenon headlights hardly makes a difference in visibility.

Halogen:

Both LED:

The Halogen has a reasonable cut-off about 3-4 feet above the ground and it probably will meet the ground at around 50-100 feet. The LED is much brighter but there is no cut-off that I can see, therefore LED in this fog light can blind oncoming traffic.

I was about to say the same thing. This: http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/momoporcu/media/IMG_3293_zpsd474eee6.jpg.html

Is what a proper LED or HID retrofit should look like. With the brighter lights putting out more lumens you HAVE to have a cutoff! Or else you are blinding people on both your side of the road as well as oncoming traffic.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Halogen:

Both LED:

Did some research on this....actually not a bad idea! (Should be plug and play pretty much for the cavalier) May look into this...
smile.gif

That said, at the moment, I do not want the brightest (wife does not drive much at night any more-she works days) Just good solid, long lasting bulbs for now.

Though the car guy in me likes the LED idea....

The cutoff is extremely overrated. The factory fogs produced illumination above the apparent factory cutoff line. It was just weaker than the hot zone below 3 feet. As bright as the LED's appear above the original hot zone, if I stand in front of the truck and keep walking backward, I never approach a point where the light becomes blinding or offensive. I still have to kneel down and lower my head before the light shines in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back