Amsoil AZO 0w30 4880 04 Gr Caravan 3.3 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code

This is My first Voa, I tried to line up the results in a word document but it still wouldn't transfer over I apologize. This was performed at Oil Analyzers. Some one on hear said not to give them too much information or else they wouldn't run the sample and just look up other engines info. I'm disappointed they didn't run the Viscosity but they said water present and cold sampling. I sampled it hot but haven't taken it for a long drive to boil out the water in a while. The vehicle sits for 2-4 days at a time with frequent short trips and idling to warm up the cabin. There was 11 months on this sample.

They say "Boron is low for this sample, Please provide Component Make, Model to compare data to correct standards, unit and or lubricant time missing. Water is at a moderate level, Re-sample in 3,500 miles or 65 hours." The titanium must be left over from three runs of Kendall GT1 but I performed an Amsoil flush before this oil run. I didn't change the oil this time but changed the filter to a full flow.

It might be in my head but I felt this oil helped clean up the rings after a few month allowing providing smoother operation, response. I noticed a little more oil consumption with this oil but I wanted better cold start circulation which helped. This oil seamed thicker at start up with some time on it than when new.

OIL AZO 0w30
MILES IN USE 4.8K
MILES on unit 135.6K
SAMPLE TAKEN 1-31-2015

Add Oil 2 Qts
Filter Baldwin Dual Flow BD7317, 5 micron rating
No ADBV so a poor choice for this application.

ALUMINUINUM 3
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 11
COPPER 1
LEAD
TIN
MOLYBDENUM 148
NICKEL
MANGANESE
SILVER
TITANIUM 6
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 114
SILICON 8
SODIUM 8
CALCIUM 3297
MAGNESIUM 17
PHOSPHORUS 683
ZINC 766
BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLE 0.3FTIR
WATER% VOL 0.2
FLASHPOINT ºF No data
SUS VIS 210ºF Not tested due to water
cSt @ 212ºF Not tested due to water

Fuel% 2.0
Oxidation 48
Nitration 12
TBN 5.31

Hmmm, why wouldn't they test the viscosity? I would want my money back.
Also this is a UOA not VOA.
And 2 quarts added in 4800 miles? I love amsoil but this would push me to something cheaper
Is the filter vertical? If so does the opening face up? If so ADBV is unnecessary.

Last edited:
Thats pretty cool if you can fit a Baldwin Dual Flow (extra big, dual filters inside) to a gasoline mini-van. Thats a great oil filter. And yes, if the opening faces up, and ABDV valve isn't nearly as useful, although if the oil pump is still higher, it might stop back-flow up to the oil pump.

NO good, now I can't even edit it to say UOA, I didn't want to mess that up.

Yes the I was able to use Dodge Cummins oil filters with the thread adapter 1-16 to 3/4-16 as I recall even though that filter was for Refer units. The filter fits straight upside down on this year Dodge Gr Caravan 3.3 and the Seven inch long filter is about flush with the bottom of the pan. It seamed safe enough as long as my Wife doesn't try to drive over a parking block, but she's pretty good about that stuff.
grin.gif

I was thinking it would be ok without an ADBV back when I decided to run it but after sitting for five days during the coldest time this winter it had 1-3 seconds of dry lubrication knocking after cold starts single digit temps. That may be partly because the oil in the filter or pan was so congealed also. Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wildmanrandall
I was thinking it would be ok without an ADBV back when I decided to run it but after sitting for five days during the coldest time this winter it had 1-3 seconds of dry lubrication knocking after cold starts single digit temps. That may be partly because the oil in the filter or pan was so congealed also. Thanks.

With 0w-30 the oil should be basically flowable in single digits, although certainly thick. Still, thinking about where the oil pump is above the oil filter, an ADBV would keep the path up to the pump full of oil perhaps.

What is the typical oil consumption on this engine? You mentioned it consumed more than previously.

It hardly used any oil when I ran the
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w30for 5k miles back in 2010.

I changed it 11 more times over the next three years and 9k miles with various varieties;
Mag1Super Fmx 0w20
Sae 30 Cheveron Diesel oil Group II
Cheveron Supreme 5w30 Group II+
Kendall GT-1 Sae 30
Kendall GT-1 5w30

Looking back on it, this was crazy, I wasted so much money and oil and didn't have a good idea of what oil to run. Like sticking to a Good Group III oil with a healthy HTHS viscosity and leaving it in for at least a year. Now I have a better idea of what's going on in this engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back