Mobil 5000 5w30 5,585 miles UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the second UOA I have done for the truck in my description. This sample was done on 5 quarts of 5w30 Mobil 5000 and one quart of MMO ran for 5,585 miles. The first UOA I sent in was flagged for high levels of copper. This second UOA below was flagged again for high copper levels. Im not very well familiar with reading these UOAs, is the level of copper in this sample really that high? If so, where could it be coming from? For the record, my driving is 80% city and the motor runs strong. It has never had an issue, its just enough to make my BITOG OCD go off!
sick.gif

Last edited:
I appreciate the response, but this is not a discussion on the merits of oil additives. MMO is listed because that is what was used in the vehicle. Just trying to find out if the copper level is really something to be alarmed with, and where it may be coming from. MMO is not compromising my oil, nor is it "thinning it out too much." These motors are back specd from chrysler to a Xw20 weight oil. MMO brings it from Xw30 to Xw26. That is not the root of the problem here.

Last edited:
Yes. Typically run 1/2-1 quart per OCI. It was also the same oil as well. Mobil 5000. I have since bought some PYB and I'm researching the HM oils. Perhaps they could afford more protection.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I appreciate the response, but this is not a discussion on the merits of oil additives. MMO is listed because that is what was used in the vehicle. Just trying to find out if the copper level is really something to be alarmed with, and where it may be coming from. MMO is not compromising my oil, nor is it "thinning it out too much." These motors are back specd from chrysler to a Xw20 weight oil. MMO brings it from Xw30 to Xw26. That is not the root of the problem here.

How do you know MMO isn't the problem?

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
How do you know MMO isn't the problem?

Moreover, why is it needed? Is there some issue that MMO is supposed to solve that is not being handled by MS5K?

There is no reason for it to be the problem. It is used as a gentle cleaning agent and provides supplemental boron. It isn't thinning out the oil so it should not be leading to a decrease in protection of engine parts. The question here, once again, what engine parts (besides bearings) could be leaving copper behind, and at what point in time is this copper considered to be indicative of engine damage.

You're very sure it isn't the MMO, with no real evidence whatsoever that it is or isn't. What leads you to believe it isn't thinning out the oil and maybe causing a problem?

Why not try a run without it and see what that analysis says?

There is no reason for it to be the problem. It is used as a gentle cleaning agent and provides supplemental boron. It isn't thinning out the oil so it should not be leading to a decrease in protection of engine parts. The question here, once again, what engine parts (besides bearings) could be leaving copper behind, and at what point in time is this copper considered to be indicative of engine damage.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
You're very sure it isn't the MMO, with no real evidence whatsoever that it is or isn't. What leads you to believe it isn't thinning out the oil and maybe causing a problem?

Why not try a run without it and see what that analysis says?

This. Seems to be a case of not wanting to believe that putting something other than oil in the crankcase may potentially be less than ideal
21.gif

I don't think the copper is that high, and you have no lead. Keep doing what you're doing but I'm also not a fan of MMO.

I thought I read that soon after an oil change- is when more wear takes place-- because the cleaning agents in the oil- clean the walls and other moving parts of the additives that help lower wear....
once the oil has cleansed- the additives do their thing and stick to parts....
(thus too frequent oil changes can be detrimental).

In this case-- could the MMO 'gentle' cleansing- be contributing to the shedding of the copper.

This being an 06--- its not DI.
I would think the Iron should be lower for 5,585 miles of use?

Thus-- back to the MMO doing a little too much cleaning?

Any input to my idea above?

My question would be why use a lubricant that one deems deficient so that they must further additize it (with unknown results) in order to feel that they've made the product perform as it should
21.gif

Why not just use a product that you feel doesn't need the additive?

Originally Posted By: rbarrios
I thought I read that soon after an oil change- is when more wear takes place-- because the cleaning agents in the oil- clean the walls and other moving parts of the additives that help lower wear....
once the oil has cleansed- the additives do their thing and stick to parts....
(thus too frequent oil changes can be detrimental).

In this case-- could the MMO 'gentle' cleansing- be contributing to the shedding of the copper.

Thus-- back to the MMO doing a little too much cleaning?

What's it cleaning? It appears as though it is being used as a preventative for "something", nobody knows what.

And not only that, the fill is now 17% additive. Again, what for? What's the problem, other than the UOA results?

You/we/mmo have no idea how adding it to your oil consistently is compromising the oil. The oil companies don't formulate their oils keeping in mind someone will pour in additives after the fact.

I don't put additives in my oil. Tried it once or twice way back... it just doesn't make sense.

That being said 11ppm is nothing to be alarmed about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back