Progress on my 75 Morris Mini Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have the 62 Renault Dauphine in progress to finish.

But in the next couple of weeks I'll be with a friend who may be persuaded to part with a Mini Traveller wagon and/or a Fiat 600.

Hi Richard,

Fine work there.

I acquired a BMW convertible like yours, only mine is an '87 model and is silver. I'm working on restoring it bit by bit to its original glory as it was quite neglected prior to my ownership!

Your page about the window switches is very informative. I wish you had completely restored one of those cars so that I'd have something to go off of, but yours was already perfect to begin with.
smile.gif

Take care.

I've had it since 96 when I stole it at auction.

BTW, if the windows are giving problems after the switches, there is a connector at the door that gets corroded or painted, and another connector at the dash behind the console, where colors of wires change.

Finally something to report, getting to Tarija for a few days and visiting the body shop 4 to 6 times a day. I have to leave tomorrow, but tonight he finished the final sanding and has the final paint bought.
Yesterday he made the installation boxes for my seat belts.

And I left him with the re-upholstered padded dash.
seat_belt_box.jpg

welding_box.jpg

grinding_box.jpg

seat_belt_installed.jpg

torpedo_antes-despues

I've been working at the body shop in my spare time working on wiring and other pieces (details on my site), but today I finally brought it home, washed and polished it with Meguiars.

front_finished.jpg

right_front_finished.jpg

left_front_finished.jpg

left_rear_finished.jpg

tailgate_down.jpg

After those pictures I did some more wiring (made and connected the rear harness) and put Fatmat on the roof and floor. Now had to go back to Santa Cruz for a while. I have ordered the relay module to connect the computer so I can fire it up (funny how they did not send it with the engine), and hand brake cables, plus front badge. Still need to do the carpeting, but that is only a 1 day job.

Amazing, you should post that over on
VWVortex.com The Car Lounge forum, people over there are screaming for small P/U trucks to come back to the USA, that
beautiful mini p/u is an inspiration for sure.

I love how simple, and honest looking that is.
Thanks for sharing with us widman.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Amazing, you should post that over on
VWVortex.com The Car Lounge forum, people over there are screaming for small P/U trucks to come back to the USA, that
beautiful mini p/u is an inspiration for sure.

I love how simple, and honest looking that is.
Thanks for sharing with us widman.

Cheers!

Go ahead and post it over there.

Just to update, I found the clutch discs bent and the pressure plate shattered, so ordered a new set from the UK. I installed it and still had problems with the transmission, and low oil pressure, so the engine and sub-frame come out again, making a total of three installs. At least I have it down to 70 minutes for two people to pull the radiator, starter, filter, wires, exhaust, fuel, brake lines, steering, etc. and get the complete unit out through the bottom.

Aside from some dry o-rings, I was missing the tube that feeds the converter. I also adjusted the bands while I had it apart, so with that fixed, I replaced everything and finished the wiring, set the timing, etc. Runs nicely in and out of the garage, but need to put stronger spring on the brake and accelerator returns to drive safely. Also need to move the muffler to a place where it does not scrape my driveway.

Filled it with 10W-40 Motorcycle JASO MA2 oil to help the AT discs.

Dash and new switches are now installed and wired. Haven't found a practical solution to adding the oil temp gauge, so I'll get something else for that hole. It was easy to put a T for the oil pressure gauge. And of course the Tach is just some wires.

cracked_disc.jpg

broken_plate.jpg

clutch_pack_with_pump.jpg

clutch_pack_governor.jpg

assembling_pack_and_governor.jpg

oil_pressure_forward-neutral.jpg

oil_pressure_reverse.jpg

disassembling_valve_block.jpg

checking_band_adjustment.jpg

motor_mount.jpg

dropping_motor_to_frame.jpg

pulling_motor-frame_into_body.jpg

filling_oil.jpg

Engine_installed_wired.jpg

engine_installed_running.jpg

Dash_wired_assembled.jpg

Do the engine and transmission have common fluid like a motorcycle?

That is such a neat project! Thank you for sharing!

Richard, you and your guys sure are something else! Good job so far and THANK YOU for the update and pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back