Anyone having issues with Windows Updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a complete train wreck at the office today. Just about everyone had some sort of a problem. We're most all running Win7 Enterprise.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Most large companies do not allow automatic update. They bundle a few weeks of fixes, test them and then distribute to employees.

Yep, this. It can be a headache sometimes. WSUS is the way to go.

Turn them off. After I get a stable working version off the updates go. Running Windows 7 Ultimate. I updated it maybe twice a few years back then off. Working very well why mess with it?

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Turn them off. After I get a stable working version off the updates go. Running Windows 7 Ultimate. I updated it maybe twice a few years back then off. Working very well why mess with it?

security fixes,

I usually wait till updates our out for a few weeks to a month then update.. so I don't get and bad updates like the one a few months ago that bricked many computers that had avast installed.. the fix a fresh install of windows in that case(or restore a backup).

My home computer never delays a Windows update. Just as soon as they appear at the bottom taskbar, I download them immediately. Since 2004, I've never had an issue.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Remind people never to make you a network admin at a large company. Updates are typically for security fixes, not for stability fixes. And where I work, they are smart and do WSUS.

If there have been issues with Windows updates since 2004, my surfing has been unaffected by it. Sure there are times after an update where my computer seems a wee-bit slower. But that always seems to be temporary and usually fixed by another update soon after the last one.

I trust Windows Updates and I trust good antivirus programs like ESET. I have more important uses for my time, rather then looking for trouble where trouble doesn't exist in the first place.

For instance/example:
If your subdivision has never had a home invasion or car stolen, then I won't be the first to install an outdoor security system, then come home and view / fast-forward the day's event outdoors.

I have never encountered a reason why I must spy on my latest update at another website, before loading it on my own computer.

If your computer settings are correct and you don't visit the sleazeball websites, plus your antivirus/malware...etc.... are loaded and upper-shelf in quality, I don't see the need for spying on Windows updates.

Last edited:
I manually run the update program and install only the updates that I choose. I see a lot of updates for software I don't even run, like Outlook. At the very least, if you want to go automatic, have your computer just download the updates and then allow them to be installed on your schedule.

Like an idiot I installed them on my work computer. The fonts on every program changed. Need to research how to fix this. the work machine is running Vista Home.

I had in a Win7 system last week that had update problems. Some malware had shut down "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and "Cryptographic Services". The machine would think it was updating, but not actually installing anything.

The best piece of advice I would give is to delay installation of any update for about three weeks after they come out. Usually this will allow any potential issues to be completely corrected by MS.
I give them 30 days.

Ive had two updates this year cause my tower to STOP 0x4A (IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE) right after logging into the desktop. The first time it took me over an hour to System Restore, then install each update individually, rebooting after each one, finally doing a second System Restore after finding the culprit.
Just caught the second one, just about 15 minutes ago. I was lucky becuase it failed to install the first time. I rebooted and installed it. Rebooted again and crash. I rolled back and hid that update.
The updates affecting me are:
KB2952664
KB3019215

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back