DIY Bypass Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to build my own bypass system for my 13 Ram with the 6.7 cummins. I have pretty much everything to build it already but I have to order a Filter base. I was planning on using the Baldwin OB1308 but just have a question about it. The OB1308 has it restrictor built into it that the oil goes through before entering the filter. Is the restrictor in the OB1308 enough or does another have to be added? Also if anyone knows of a better filter base please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Also f I use the OB1308 do I need to use a filter that has a restrictor built into it or can I use any good full flow filter?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
My understanding is you just need the restrictor before the filter. I don't you can get filters with one, nor would you want to.

I have seen a few filters with them so that's why I wasn't sure. I am assuming you just need one restrictor but just wanted to be sure.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Which filter models are you using? Going to post pictures of your setup?

I will post some pictures for sure when its all done. For the filter I haven't yet decided because I'm not sure if I should go with the restrictor in the filter base or in the actual filter.

If the Baldwin OB1308 has a restriction in it already, that's all you need.

Of all the info I could find on that unit, nowhere did I see anything mentioning it had a restriction. I'm not saying you're wrong; I just could not confirm the info. Where did you get the info that it has a restriction insert?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
If the Baldwin OB1308 has a restriction in it already, that's all you need.

Of all the info I could find on that unit, nowhere did I see anything mentioning it had a restriction. I'm not saying you're wrong; I just could not confirm the info. Where did you get the info that it has a restriction insert?

Thanks for answering. I am going by a few pictures I saw of it on a forum. I do not know 100% for sure though. I know for sure that the Fleetguard 3304173S has a restrictor so I might just go with that. Does it make a difference if the restrictor is in the filter base or the filter? Is one way better than the other or does it not really matter?

There is no reason any one particular design would work better than another. In-base or in-filter both will do the job.

I'm not sure that the Baldwin base doesn't have it in the base; I just could not find any spec sheet to indicate it as such as I was wondering what size it would be. Often .050" is a typical size for the restriction orifice. It may be included by part number but not called out on the spec sheet. It is listed as a "bypass" mount, so perhaps that's the only outward indication. You'd have to inspect one physically to make sure.

It doesn't make a difference where the restrictor is.

Contact the manufacturer for orifice size of the bases and filters you choose. Don't want to starve the engine for oil with too large of an orifice, which vary by application. Another option is a 10psi check valve used to starve the bypass for the 1st 10psi oil pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back