Toilet paper oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin has had one for years now and he loves it. He drove up from Arizona 3 years ago and I convinced him to do an oil change with the old style PU 10w-30 and he is still running it today with only top offs when he replaces the TP

I have heard of these many years ago. They are a bypass filter aren't they? I would be afraid the T.P. would fall apart and get into the engine. Also even if it will keep the oil CLEAN, it will still need to be changed to keep the additives good. Unless you change the filter often enough I suppose and add a quart of fresh oil every time maybe???

Hello, Gentleman, please! This is an old joke like cow tipping or snipe hunting.

There ain't no toilet paper oil filters.
The paper would wad up instantly, slam into the outlet port of the filter or housing and life would cease to exist as we know it. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Gentleman, please! This is an old joke like cow tipping or snipe hunting.

There ain't no toilet paper oil filters.

You obviously haven't seen this guy...
smile.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2406381

No, the TP oil filter is not an old joke like cow tipping or snipe hunting. Yes, there are TP oil filters, and yes, they are solely bypass filters.

Frantz is the most popular maker of filter housings that use TP rolls as elements. Motorguard used to be in this business as well, however while they still make TP filters, they only market their product for compressed air filtration (think auto body paint shops and other uses where dust in the compressed air is bad). Apparently some of the components in currently manufactured Motorguard housings can't stand up to the heat of motor oil, so they shouldn't be used in that application. I do have a Motorguard in my truck as a coolant filter, and it works just fine there.

This thread should probably be moved over to the bypass filter area.

Last edited:
I've always wondered how much TP "dust" those things shed into the engine before they start actually capturing more dirt than they create. Also seems like it would depend a lot on the nature of the TP that gets used.

At one time, you could buy the kit from JC Whitney.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I've always wondered how much TP "dust" those things shed into the engine

My thoughts, too. When I pick up a roll of TP, I can see many 'dust' like particles coming off of it when the the light is right. I'm not sure I want that stuff going thru my engine.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
At one time, you could buy the kit from JC Whitney.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I've always wondered how much TP "dust" those things shed into the engine

My thoughts, too. When I pick up a roll of TP, I can see many 'dust' like particles coming off of it when the the light is right. I'm not sure I want that stuff going thru my engine.

Hey, a little tip: Put in new TP, not soiled used ones in there.

On the Trasko TP-like element, the oil always flow thru the TP until the pressure drop gets to something like 2 psi delta (not sure of the exact number, but low-ish), and if the pressure drop gets above that in higher flow conditions, a valve lets the oil thru a screen mesh for a while until the pressure drops again.

Originally Posted By: old1
I have heard of these many years ago. They are a bypass filter aren't they? I would be afraid the T.P. would fall apart and get into the engine. Also even if it will keep the oil CLEAN, it will still need to be changed to keep the additives good. Unless you change the filter often enough I suppose and add a quart of fresh oil every time maybe???
Pretty much you should be doing a 1 quart at a time oil change.

I might get one just to see what the deal is. If my cousin can run his vehicle for over 150,000 miles with 2 or 3 oil changes, it just might work for me. although I would run UOA's just to be sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
What's the back pressure?
It it's about a 1/16 inch hole.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I might get one just to see what the deal is. If my cousin can run his vehicle for over 150,000 miles with 2 or 3 oil changes, it just might work for me. although I would run UOA's just to be sure.
It is a constant oil change ,a quart of oil with every tp element change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back