Larger Filters? Good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
This is a feel good mod, no real reasons to do it. Just feelings and guesses. The above is a perfect illustration.

With our engines in demanding fleet use lasting 500k miles on that lil ole factory filter I can't see the benefits.

I really don't need engine life this long as it is, perhaps on specific engines that have shortcomings in their oiling setup this could help.

It's a solution in search of a problem...

Agreed.
Now if a larger filter is available with the exact same bypass setting and identical construction with size being the only difference then I see no harm in using one,in fact it should reduce the frequency of filter changes due to an increase in holding capacity.
That being said if the larger filter is different in the manner in which it operates then it's an irresponsible gamble that may incur unexpected or unprepared for differences that weren't ever considered when the engine went into service.
For example a hi-po hemi in an SRT has an engineer specify a by-pass valves actuation point at a very specific point which has been qualified by testing and proven to be important if by some chance there is a problem.
So there is a filter that's larger in size but the bypass setting is very different due to operating in a different application so using it will change the engines known behaviour given that specific failure so if by some fluke the bypass setting compromised the function of the engines failsafe then catastrophic failure results.
A failure that was avoidable had the owner used the product specified by the manufacturer for the specific application.

I admit I frankenbrew oil all the time but as far as filters go I figure it's built the way it's built because the oem explored various different options and they decided that it needs to have specific characteristics based on the application.
I assume that it wasn't an afterthought and they specify values relative to the specific engine.
I have learned that some things don't require me to question or second guess the recommendation.
For example the Chev LS engines. My 6.0 has what I feel is a lawn mower oil filter at most,yet using these little cans these engines last almost indefinitely with proper maintenance.
Would I gain anything by using a larger filter such as longer engine life of longer service intervals. I doubt it. How many miles can you add to indefinite.
And I run those ity bitty things for 20000 miles yet even at the end of the fci oil pressure behaves the same as when the filter was new.
No brainer to me. If you want a bigger filter just buy a top tier synthetic media filter. They have more holding capacity when compared to the oem and are built exactly the same as far as details.
Best of both worlds.

Oil pressure is simply flow resistance so adding more volume per stroke will of course increase this resistance so each component in the line needs to resist as little as possible.
Media construction is more important than filter size as it relates to resisting flow so buying a filter that is less resistant however is built with the oem's specified operating characteristics is far superior to installing a larger filter since the input and exit orifices are the same on both filters the only change will be how fast the filter fills up and passes thru getting to the engines topside.
So if anything a larger filter slows actual oil delivery time as it relates to everything past the filter in the oil circuit.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

3. Oil pressure greater than stock.

Not really possible unless the oiling system is pressure source and not a positive displacement oil pump (ie, volume source).

It is possible if you remove your old oil pump and replace it with one that is engineered for greater volume and pressure. And if you do such a thing, a larger filter is highly recommended.

True, if you make the oil pump put out more volume then you will obviously get higher oil pressure on the same engine.

But that's not the same as saying you got higher oil pressure by just changing the oil filter and nothing else. That was my point.
wink.gif

I never said the filter gave me more oil pressure. Greater oil pressure than stock is why I use one.
wink.gif

This is a feel good mod, no real reasons to do it. Just feelings and guesses. The above is a perfect illustration.

With our engines in demanding fleet use lasting 500k miles on that lil ole factory filter I can't see the benefits.

I really don't need engine life this long as it is, perhaps on specific engines that have shortcomings in their oiling setup this could help.

It's a solution in search of a problem...

Which is an interesting observation, considering fleet/commercial apps use the largest filters of all applications, given the same exact engine used across the board.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Oil pressure is simply flow resistance so adding more volume per stroke will of course increase this resistance so each component in the line needs to resist as little as possible.
Media construction is more important than filter size as it relates to resisting flow so buying a filter that is less resistant however is built with the oem's specified operating characteristics is far superior to installing a larger filter since the input and exit orifices are the same on both filters the only change will be how fast the filter fills up and passes thru getting to the engines topside.
So if anything a larger filter slows actual oil delivery time as it relates to everything past the filter in the oil circuit.

This is incorrect. Our Perkins engined lifts specify a very large variation of the standard PH8 form, specifically due to the engine's unusually high oil pressure and volume. It's filter class was specifically created for this engine, and Perkins cautions using a smaller filter as a result. The orifices are not the greatest source of resistance in a filter, the media is. This is why an oil filter's bypass valve bypasses the media, and makes use of the orifices. They have little enough resistance to handle the full flow of oil under any circumstance. The resistance of the oil passages, and the mating surfaces at the final destinations of all of those oil passages is great enough that the orifices will never be exceeded.That is why a bearing failure , loss of a galley plug, or Crack that penetrant an oil passage can cause a complete loss of oil pressure.

If it were as you say, that the orifices formed the system's resistance, and we're a primary limiter, I could yank a galley plug and still make oil nominal pressure. The oil pump pushing oil through those orifices is it throwing a hot dog down a hallway.

It's a simple matter of engineering history that an oil pump that is designed to increase oil pressure in the engine will in fact increase the pressure throughout the entire length of the oil tracts, resulting in a greater, stronger film of oil between surfaces. This is why my oil pressure gauge, which takes oil pressure from a point after the oil has flowed past the filter, past the main galley, past the camshaft, and up a long channel, registers this increase in oil pressure over stock. If the increase in pressure is reaching out past the cam, it's going everywhere. The oil channels are not regulated. It's like slicing an oil cooler line. The greater the pressure, the more oil is going to go through. The greater the hydraulic pressure, the harder it will be for two surfaces to come together.

Synthetic media is awesome. Synthetic media of the same brand, and same line of filter, but in an even larger size is even more awesome. Point is, all else equal, the larger filter is the better filter. That is what I have, and it has technical benefit.

Theories are cute, but proven engineering doesn't lie.

I never said the filter gave me more oil pressure. Greater oil pressure than stock is why I use one.
wink.gif

Got ya ... your statement can be taken a couple different ways.
grin.gif

Oh, and one more thing regarding the LS series' teacup filter. Have you noticed the larger PF63 replacing the PF48 for LS and other applications? The previous "mod" of going to PF63 over PF48 is now factory OEM.

The greater the hydraulic pressure, the harder it will be for two surfaces to come together.

I'm not too sure that oil pressure at 70 psi is going to protect a bearing any less than if the oil pressure was at 100 psi. Oil is basically incompressible, and as long as you have an adequate volume of oil flowing between the bearing surfaces then the incompressibility of the oil is what provides the protection by preventing the two surfaces from contacting. Another benefit of having more oil flow volume due to a higher volume oil pump is the added cooling effect to carry heat away from high load bearings.

Oh, and one more thing regarding the LS series' teacup filter. Have you noticed the larger PF63 replacing the PF48 for LS and other applications? The previous "mod" of going to PF63 over PF48 is now factory OEM.

I don't run AC Delco filters in my LS6 anymore. I've been using WIX, NAPA Gold and PureOne. All of them are basically the same sized can, and I wouldn't want anything that stick any farther down towards the ground than those filters do. Can't really go too "over-sized" on the LSx engines.

An excellent observation. Since my LS series engines in our fleet came online a long time ago with a complete personal introduction to a GM G team engineer who helped develop the truck variants, we got the inside line on the smaller oil filters. Direct from the people who built them.

I will repeat, you can extrapolate all you want but the real world facts are there are no measurable benefits to a larger filter for the overwhelming majority of vehicles on the road. Just a bunch of conjecture...

I have to think this is true as well. I mean, on all my cars I generally use the OEM filter (even the hideous filtration spec Toyota and Honda OEM) and the filter on my ECHO is miniscule. Just for comparison it is the same one used on my standby generator. And yet I have managed nearly a million miles with no abnormal consumption.

An excellent observation. Since my LS series engines in our fleet came online a long time ago with a complete personal introduction to a GM G team engineer who helped develop the truck variants, we got the inside line on the smaller oil filters. Direct from the people who built them.

I will repeat, you can extrapolate all you want but the real world facts are there are no measurable benefits to a larger filter for the overwhelming majority of vehicles on the road. Just a bunch of conjecture...

I like to use oversized filters if possible. Car takes a 3387 and has room for a 3980, that's what it will get. 3600 instead of 3614, etc etc...I have no reason to believe the bigger filter does a better job but a little extra capacity doesn't hurt anything.

This is of course only on my own stuff. Wouldn't run anything other than the OE spec filter on a customers car even if they're the same filter for liability reasons.

Last edited:

And in that day event, you admit that there is a minority, at the least that there is a benefit for.
21.gif

And you refer to a company that specs 3 different sized filters for the exact same engine given to application. Thank you for proving my point.

I don't run AC Delco filters in my LS6 anymore. I've been using WIX, NAPA Gold and PureOne. All of them are basically the same sized can, and I wouldn't want anything that stick any farther down towards the ground than those filters do. Can't really go too "over-sized" on the LSx engines.

Not all LS engines come in Corvettes, and in applications that spec a PF63, the equivalent larger aftermarket filter will also be spec'd

Not all LS engines come in Corvettes, and in applications that spec a PF63, the equivalent larger aftermarket filter will also be spec'd

All LS6s do, which my comment was specifically about. Agree on other LSx engines that don't have a problem with ground clearance or longer filters sticking straight down.
grin.gif

ZeeOSix, another thread had someone using an excellent Baldwin Double Flow diesel truck oil filter on a chrysler mini-van, using a thread adaptor plate, and it stuck down. .... What I was wondering was if an ADBV would keep oil in the flow passage from the oil filter to the oil pump???? That Baldwin didn't have an ADBV at all, and he said he thought cold starts were too dry for a few seconds.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
ZeeOSix, another thread had someone using an excellent Baldwin Double Flow diesel truck oil filter on a chrysler mini-van, using a thread adaptor plate, and it stuck down. .... What I was wondering was if an ADBV would keep oil in the flow passage from the oil filter to the oil pump???? That Baldwin didn't have an ADBV at all, and he said he thought cold starts were too dry for a few seconds.

Yes, as the sole purpose of an ADBV is to keep the filter and oiling system galleries (including between the filter and oil pump) from draining back down through the oil pump to the sump.

Yes, as the sole purpose of an ADBV is to keep the filter and oiling system galleries (including between the filter and oil pump) from draining back down through the oil pump to the sump.

A lot of people seem to think if your oil filter has the inlet to it on top, then an ADBV isn't needed since oil stays in the filter itself. If the oil filter is at the same level as the oil pump, then it'll stay. A lot I've seen hang down on the side of the sump, below the pump though.

On the oil filters that are mounted very high, like cartridge ones you change on the top of the engine, does the oil stay in the pick-up tube and galley? I can think of some German engines and also some U.S. cars like that.

Last edited:
Thank you for proving my point.

Absolutely nothing has been "proven" except that you like larger filters. Bravo to you. No one ever said you couldn't do whatever you want with your vehicles.

When you can cite a single PROVEN benefit let me know...

Why would I go out of my to try to prove anything to a person whose only contribution is vague dismissal and denial, completely void of any technical data? If you're just going to pout when your only details, the activities and recommendations of GM engineers, proves to be contradictory to the point you are trying to make, the rest pretty much speaks for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back