Valvoline Synpower 5w30, 7,616 miles. 08 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a UOA from my silverado. This oil was in service for my trip from Indiana to Montana, as well as a couple thousand miles around home which included some towing. There were also several full throttle runs on the trip out west. I did not top off the oil in this run. When the oil was changed it was about 3/4 of a qt low. I didn't add any because i didn't want to boost the TBN and skew the oils true TBN retention number. 7,616 miles in service. about 5 1/4 quarts drained out of a 6 qt sump. Oil filter was a Fram Ultra. I apologize for the poor picture quality. you can magnify the photo on photo bucket to see the numbers.

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/donnyj08/media/Silverado/IMAG1563_zpsd7y4f82u.jpg.html

Last edited:
Overall, pretty good. It depends on the engine, but ideally I like to see 1 ppm of iron per 1,000 miles, and you're at around 2 ppm / 1,000 miles. Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas seem to get to the 1 ppm / 1,000 mile holy grail, but not too many other engines.

Notice the bit o' moly there, it must be left over from your previous oil, since Valv Synpower is famous for NOT using any moly at all. ... What was your last oil you used before this?

GM LS v8's are known to have higher iron and copper. The 14ppm for 7600 miles is below the average of 19ppm in 5700 miles for this engine, so the iron reading is expected on this engine by nature. The previous OCI was synpower also. Two intervals ago I believe was PYB. That is likely where the trace of moly is from.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Very nice - Valvoline always seems to turn in some amazing UOA's. Thanks for posting.

Thanks! I was Suprissed by the super strong TBN retention at 3.8 with no top-up. I think with top ups I could have easily ran 10-12k on this run. Oil was 3/4qt low when the oil was changed. I kinda wish I would have just added a qt and ran it out to 10-12k and then did the UOA. I at least have a good baseline now.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Very nice - Valvoline always seems to turn in some amazing UOA's. Thanks for posting.

Thanks! I was Suprissed by the super strong TBN retention at 3.8 with no top-up. I think with top ups I could have easily ran 10-12k on this run. Oil was 3/4qt low when the oil was changed. I kinda wish I would have just added a qt and ran it out to 10-12k and then did the UOA. I at least have a good baseline now.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Nice, and I totally agree. Top that thing off around 7k and run it to 10k easy.

+1

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I apologize for the poor picture quality. you can magnify the photo on photo bucket to see the numbers.

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/donnyj08/media/Silverado/IMAG1563_zpsd7y4f82u.jpg.html

Seriously? Every all-in-one printer out there these days has a scanner.

Indeed, maybe next time.
wink.gif

I apologize for the poor picture quality. you can magnify the photo on photo bucket to see the numbers.

Indeed, maybe next time.
wink.gif

If you login to your account on Blackstone's website you can view your VOA's. There is an option to export a PDF of the report without personal data. You can't link to this file from their website for posting on this board but you could convert to a picture just by doing a screen capture then upload that image to your hosting site.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing

Indeed, maybe next time.
wink.gif

If you login to your account on Blackstone's website you can view your VOA's. There is an option to export a PDF of the report without personal data. You can't link to this file from their website for posting on this board but you could convert to a picture just by doing a screen capture then upload that image to your hosting site.

Here is a proper link guys. Thank you gonefishing for the help.

2008 Silverado UOA

Last edited:
nice report-thanks for taking the trouble to post it. I have a 2004 5.3 and use either Synpower or NAPA syn as well--has turned in great UOAs even at 127% of OLM.
Do you recall what % your OLM was at when you changed the oil?

Originally Posted By: steve20
nice report-thanks for taking the trouble to post it. I have a 2004 5.3 and use either Synpower or NAPA syn as well--has turned in great UOAs even at 127% of OLM.

Thanks, steve20! yes, the OLM was at about 30% i believe. It was 3/4 a qt low and i had 6 new qts of synpower and a filter to change it so it just made sense to drain it and refill than add a qt at the time. At least now i know the TBN was very strong after 7600 miles so im safe to just add a qt and run it another few thousand miles. I have been impressed with Valvoline lately, and this report has only strengthened that. I will likely run this next batch to 0% and see where im at mileage wise. I do a lot of highway driving so that is fairly easy on the oil. I do let it see higher RPM's quite frequently as well passing slower cars on two lane highways. So far enjoying the truck it's my first GM truck and i think its my favorite truck so far. I love the way the LS platform engines run.

Valvoline doesn't look like much on paper but always continues to shine on uoa's. It was my last fill in my truck and my truck loved it. Looks like this may be your lube of choice,nice report!

My old 1998 S10 ran a steady diet of Synpower the whole time I owned it. Like Shellguys says, doesn't look like anything special on paper, but performs well in use. I got rid if that truck with 135k on the clock and it ran well and consumed no oil between changes. My best friend bought it and drove it about 6 years before the transmission failed. The odometer quit working, but it had well over 200k on the clock.

shellguy and cronk, i agree. Valvoline doesn't shine on paper, but it certainly does shine where is matters most..in real world usage. Im extremely pleased with it. It is becoming my lube of choice for sure.

Originally Posted By: steve20

Thanks, steve20! yes, the OLM was at about 30% i believe. It was 3/4 a qt low and i had 6 new qts of synpower and a filter to change it so it just made sense to drain it and refill than add a qt at the time. At least now i know the TBN was very strong after 7600 miles so im safe to just add a qt and run it another few thousand miles. I have been impressed with Valvoline lately, and this report has only strengthened that. I will likely run this next batch to 0% and see where im at mileage wise. I do a lot of highway driving so that is fairly easy on the oil. I do let it see higher RPM's quite frequently as well passing slower cars on two lane highways. So far enjoying the truck it's my first GM truck and i think its my favorite truck so far. I love the way the LS platform engines run.

Yes these LX engines perform well in these heavy trucks. At the time we bought the truck all the Tahoes on the lot had 4.11 rear ends--which helps considerably in off the line acceleration, but reminds you everytime you fill the tank (about 2200 rpm at 60mph). Last Tahoe had 3.73 rear a much much better compromise of power/economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back