Subaru: waste spark wear pattern on cyl 1 and 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Forester, 41,925 miles (67,471 km).

So this is why Subaru specs 30,000 mile spark plug replacement interval on the non-turbo EJ253 engine which uses a waste spark ignition. Note the extra wear on the platinum center electrode for cyl's 4 and 1 compared to 2 and 3. These are the factory original NGK FR5AP-11 double platinum plugs which I changed out today.

4 - 1 left to right:

1_IMG_4219.JPG

1 - 4 left to right:

1_IMG_4215.JPG

All in all they're not terrible bad but I'm glad I didn't leave them a lot longer.

Double platinum but I see no platinum pad on the ground electrode.Maybe they fell off...

I'm confused. First I'm not sure I see much of a difference.

If plugs 1 and 4 use the same coil and fire at the same time, wouldn't there be wear on the centre electrodes of one plug and wear on the side electrode on it's mate?

I have a 2.2 ecotec engine that uses a waste spark. Plugs are original with 146,000 miles. They are iridium and still work fine.

Edit...wait a second, I get it, it's one of them boxer engines..

Last edited:
My Tacoma has the same system. They use double ground platinum plugs with 30K intervals. I've gone 60K on iridium plugs with no issues.

Not all EJ253's recommend a 30K mile park plug change. The "PZEV" version in my 2012 Legacy stated 100Kmi.

Should be considered somewhat normal and typical with a 'waste' spark system's reverse polarity.

Curious that the so-called ground straps also seem to have experienced comparatively greater erosion as well.
Perhaps it's merely an optical illusion?

NGKcenterelectrodelostspark.jpg

^ photo credit unknown fellow BITOG member.

Some waste spark systems have a coil pack for every cylinder. No polarity difference. How many coil packs on a three or a five?

Last edited:
Was there oil in your spark plug tubes when you pulled the wires out? Looks like the spark plug tube gaskets are leaking. They're a pain to replace, but subaru redesigned the gaskets so they seal better and shouldn't need to replaced again.

I read that an employee of NGK does periodic rotations to maximize the lifespan with this system. Still these look OK for all those miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back