New Windshield? Who to replace? Safelite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about a 7 inch long crack in the windshield of a Nissan Rogue. I thought Safelite had a good reputation so I set up an appointment with them.....well they already canceled today. I then read reviews online regarding them and it was terrible. Poor customer service and the glass is from China. I remember my dad having a windshield replaced and the quality was so bad that it made me feel sick and gave me a headache. It seemed as if it has a prescription lens to it. I do not want to get stuck with a poor quality windshield. I have an appointment with safelite again for tomorrow but after reading those reviews I want to cancel. In Florida the windshield is free with insurance but I do not know my options. Can I go to a body shop? Whats my best plan? Thanks guys!

IME satellite glass is not usually very good...

Look in the yellow pages for automotive glass, I'm sure there is more than one.

Or call your insurance company for providers.

Ask specifically what brand glass.

I called around, got bids from two local places, "Portland Glass" and "Hour Glass" for a 2000 Neon.

PG quoted $250, HG $195.

PG took all my info before the quote, and then called later that day asking what was up. I told 'em beat 195. They went 189. Got my business.

IDK where the glass was from but it was optically superb. I think the "smoke" on the top four inches was a little darker but otherwise it was stock.

There must be a regional glass company that barely has to advertise. They're probably pretty okay.

Look for a locally based glass company that carries multiple brands of glass. You'll end up with a much higher quality windsheild than you will with Safelite for probably a much better price.

I had a Pilkington installed in my truck for around $150 about two years ago. Safelite probably would have been $200+ for wavy China glass.

Safelite does sometimes use OE glass, but only if they can't get China glass. And their prices are at the top end.

Find some local company they typically are a lot cheaper. My sons girlfriend had to replace hers and the place came out took the old one off and installed the new one for $100

It took them a few hours to get there I imagine they took it off a car in a junkyard but if it works it works.

Like many others, the horror stories of Safelite took them off my list immediately, despite their slick advertizing.

My bias is to go with a locally owned shop (in business many years) vs. a national franchise. At any facility, the quality of the person doing the install is as important as the brand of glass. Go to the shop and get a feel for their product, warranty, and their employees. Last summer I talked to the actual installer and he explaining how he would do my car. He worked there for over 15 years.

I also am biased towards leaving the car at their shop vs. having it done via a mobile service. At the shop, the guys are in a comfortable environment, they can take their time, others are available if they run into problems requiring an extra set of hands, etc.. Plus, the installation has to sit for awhile in order for the sealant to cure properly.

The DOT number on the windshield will reveal who manufactured it: http://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db

Good luck!

Had a to put a windshield in a GMC van. I called my insurance agent, and asked for factory quality windshield (LOF, PPG, Pilkington, etc). Agent told me not to worry, that he'd take care of it.

A locally owned glass company comes and installs a no-name windshield in it. And of course, it had a ripple distortion in it, right where the driver had to look through it.

I called my insurance agent and told him, but he wanted to see it for himself. He stopped by my house, sat in the driver's seat, and after about 3 seconds said ... "I'll find someone who'll take this thing out and put an OEM windshield back in it".

It is more important as to the brand of the glass, than who puts it in.

Thank you so much everyone. After reading everybodys heres comments and doing some google searching I cancelled with safelite and have found a place that meets a standard for windshield replacement called AGRSS. They are the only place local I have found that meets this safety standard.

And doityourself thank you very much for that list!! Thats awesome.

I've had 5 Safelite windshields in my car. Meh, I'm not impressed. Keeps getting wind noise and my grandmother's Trailblazer had wavy glass that would mess with your vision. It too has wind noise, as well as the 2013 Beetle.

Ok learning more and more. I found a family owned business in my area! Has the AGRSS specs and good reviews.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
Look for a reputable installer of Pilkington branded glass. It is optically superb and top quality.

I just found a place that uses Pilkington glass! Coming to my house tomorrow! Thanks again everyone!

There are one or two professional windshield forums that are a bit interesting to visit. They make you appreciate the level of expertise that the industry has developed for windshield replacement: special tools, adhesives, etc.. These sites also talk about the bad apples in the business.

Even after you do your research to make a decision, there is still nervousness about getting the job done right. If appropriate, I talk politely to the guys doing the actual work and tell them I am appreciative if they take a few extra minutes to get it right. (They probably hear this every day). Then, leave them alone and don't watch over their shoulders.

I also buy in to the idea that windshields are part of the structural integrity of today's cars. The web even says passenger airbag operation is dependent on a good windshield. So, replacement should not be taken lightly.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
There are one or two professional windshield forums that are a bit interesting to visit. They make you appreciate the level of expertise that the industry has developed for windshield replacement: special tools, adhesives, etc.. These sites also talk about the bad apples in the business.

Even after you do your research to make a decision, there is still nervousness about getting the job done right. If appropriate, I talk politely to the guys doing the actual work and tell them I am appreciative if they take a few extra minutes to get it right. (They probably hear this every day). Then, leave them alone and don't watch over their shoulders.

I also buy in to the idea that windshields are part of the structural integrity of today's cars. The web even says passenger airbag operation is dependent on a good windshield. So, replacement should not be taken lightly.

I am learning a lot and yes....I read about the airbags being dependent on the glass and the adhesives being done correctly. This is turning out to hopefully be a blessing that safelite did not come through and cancelled on me yesterday.

So one more question.....my car is a 2012....should I call and try to get a new factory gasket?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I am learning a lot and yes....I read about the airbags being dependent on the glass and the adhesives being done correctly. This is turning out to hopefully be a blessing that safelite did not come through and cancelled on me yesterday.

So one more question.....my car is a 2012....should I call and try to get a new factory gasket?

It isn't a gasket, it is a moulding. They may be planning to bring one or to reuse the OEM one - call and ask. It list for 83.00 and change.

There is no question a windshield is a structural part in a modern vehicle.

Thank you DuckRyder....if they are planning on reusing the factory do you think that is a bad way to go or should I buy a new one?

I'm not familar with that particular moulding.

The labor time to replace it includes R&I the WS so it is intended to be urethaned in with the WS.

You probably cannot put a new one in without cutting out all of the old adhesive which is not always done.

It would be best to discuss it with the glass company/tech - provided it is returnable couldn't hurt to have one on hand in case...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back