Couple of Questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum so I decided to take the plunge and register. After all this reading, I decided to purchase some Amsoil for my car and truck. I’ve heard great things about it and my dad has been using it for some time now in his Corolla doing the 1 year/25,000 mile intervals with great success.

The truck is a 2004 Ford Ranger 4.0 SOHC with 129,000 miles on odometer and I’m the 3rd owner. I just put the Amsoil SS 0w-30 in today along with a new Motorcraft filter. The truck does get short tripped every day because I live 2 miles from work. I tend to use the remote start a few minutes before I leave for work and it typically never gets up to operating temperature before I get to work . The truck is pretty much my winter beater unless I’m going to some crazy off the beaten path fishing hole in the summer where a truck is needed. I guess my question with the truck is this: What should I start my OCI at since it sees so much short tripping? Should I do UOA’s on the oil to determine that? If so, when? 3000 miles/3 months?

Now onto the car, a 2013 Mustang Gt
wink.gif
that has about 14500 miles on it. It too gets short tripped but only in the summer and I definitely stretch out her legs about 3-4 times a week. I bought Amsoil SS 5w-20 for it to stay warranty friendly. Now my question for this car: It has a Oil Life Monitor on it, should I just follow that since the Amsoil SS definitely exceeds the recommended Motorcraft oil? Or, should I be sampling this oil as well?

Both my vehicles have those fumoto valves on them. Is that how you guys get oil samples?

I'd probably just do annual changes on both vehicles if you don't rack up a ton of miles.

Quote:
Both my vehicles have those fumoto valves on them. Is that how you guys get oil samples?

I use the Blackstone sample pump and a piece of plastic tubing through the dipstick tube.

Quote:
I bought Amsoil SS 5w-20 for it to stay warranty friendly.

At the risk of opening up a can of worms, what makes it warranty friendly?

Amsoil says that for severe service change it every 15k, or 1 year. In my Ford my OLM goes down 1% every 100 miles. which goes out to 10,000 intervals, maybe reset the olm to 50% after the first 10k. But if it were me I would do a uoa at like 12k. I would use a different filter though if I was extending the intervals out to 15k. Like a Fram ultra or one of the Amsoil filters.

Originally Posted By: dave07

It is not approved by Ford for warranty. So thats out the window if you have a lubrication related failure, even if its manufacturing defect you will have to deal with Amsoil directly not Ford.

Quote:
APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use
in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all
domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:
Recommended does not = Approved.

Under warranty i would only use an approved oil and follow the OLM in any case. Never open yourself up for a warranty claim denial, they will jump through a small hole if they find one.
The Fumoto is another story, it doesn't allow a good flushing out flow of oil, its good for UOA but so is taking a small sample when you open the drain plug.

Ranger- 2 miles each way to work. Winter beater. If u drove like this every day you would rack up 1040 miles per yr. Amsoil and sampling makes no sense to me in this application.

Mustang- Gets short tripped but only in the summer. Amsoil and sampling makes no sense to me in this application either.

This time next year each vehicle may have 1500 miles on each oil change..and according to Amsoil its time to dump it.

Next time run conventional whatever is on sale of the correct grade for your climate and dump it once a year. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: Trav

It is not approved by Ford for warranty. So thats out the window if you have a lubrication related failure, even if its manufacturing defect you will have to deal with Amsoil directly not Ford.

Quote:
APPLICATIONS
domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

Under warranty i would only use an approved oil and follow the OLM in any case. Never open yourself up for a warranty claim denial, they will jump through a small hole if they find one.
The Fumoto is another story, it doesn't allow a good flushing out flow of oil, its good for UOA but so is taking a small sample when you open the drain plug.

Straight from my owners manual: "Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only meet the requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A and display the API Certification Mark.

Amsoil meets this spec and is of the right viscosity. How could Ford deny me a warranty claim if I'm meeting and exceeding all of their specifications for motor oil?

I definitely put more miles on my vehicles than going back and forth to work. I do the occasional road trips for vacation and holidays. Probably about 5000 miles per vehicle. But the short trips are what worry me.

Straight from my owners manual: "Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only meet the requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A and display the API Certification Mark.

Amsoil meets this spec and is of the right viscosity.

Read again what Trav posted. Amsoil does not meet this spec. It is only "recommended for." Amsoil SS 5w-20 oil also does not display API Certification Mark.

Quote:
APPLICATIONS

Amsoil meets this spec and is of the right viscosity. How could Ford deny me a warranty claim if I'm meeting and exceeding all of their specifications for motor oil?

I definitely put more miles on my vehicles than going back and forth to work. I do the occasional road trips for vacation and holidays. Probably about 5000 miles per vehicle. But the short trips are what worry me.

Short trips, 5K a year use Motorcraft semi synthetic and change it every 5K.
Hey dont take me wrong i like Amsoil products and i use them but there is such a thing as going way overboard.
You will never reach that oils full potential regardless of its a warranty situation or not.
We can argue all day if its a better oil or not but it sure isn't for a 5k OCI and i wouldn't go over a year

49.gif
and $2.20 will get me a medium Dunkin Regular.

Quote:
APPLICATIONS

Short trips, 5K a year use Motorcraft semi synthetic and change it every 5K.
Hey dont take me wrong i like Amsoil products and i use them but there is such a thing as going way overboard.
You will never reach that oils full potential regardless of its a warranty situation or not.
We can argue all day if its a better oil or not but it sure isn't for a 5k OCI and i wouldn't go over a year

49.gif
and $2.20 will get me a medium Dunkin Regular.

I agree. Motorcraft synthetic blend is great oil anyways and easier to find.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Ranger- 2 miles each way to work. Winter beater. If u drove like this every day you would rack up 1040 miles per yr. Amsoil and sampling makes no sense to me in this application.

Agree 100%. This car would be fine on dino 5W20 SuperTech oil from Wal-Mart. Change once a year.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Read again what Trav posted. Amsoil does not meet this spec. It is only "recommended for." Amsoil SS 5w-20 oil also does not display API Certification Mark.

Wow. I feel like I got duped by Amsoil. I just saw the specification and figured the 5w-20 was approved and met the ford specs. Didn't read the paragraph above, shame on me. I'll definitely be returning it.

Maybe I'll just stick with Mobil 1 synthetic. It at least gives me peace of mind while still be relatively cheap.

Let me preface this by saying I have absolutely nothing against Amsoil oil. They make an excellent product. However, I don't think you're getting the full value of their oil, unless it's giving you peace of mind or something.

If they were my vehicles, I would use a more common synthetic oil in the Ranger. Every year Mobil 1 and Pennzoil seem to have a rebate or some other deal that drops the price of their oil by about $10. I'd wait for the rebate each year and pick up the oil for the next oil change. Personally, I'd also consider using a quality high mileage oil like Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic, or Pennzoil HM.

For the Mustang, I'd use Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic. It's an excellent oil that continually puts up excellent used oil analysis results, and it's got a great price. Obviously, any other commonly available oil will also work, so M1, Pennzoil Platinum, etc are all valid options as well. Usually rebates are valid for up to two purchases, so you can just get two oil changes worth of oil whenever the rebates are out and get all the oil you need for the next year.

I'd change the oil in each vehicle once a year, and I'd try to periodically get them out on the highway to get the oil up to temp to help burn out any oil and fuel that might get into it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Wow. I feel like I got duped by Amsoil. I just saw the specification and figured the 5w-20 was approved and met the ford specs. Didn't read the paragraph above, shame on me. I'll definitely be returning it.

Maybe I'll just stick with Mobil 1 synthetic. It at least gives me peace of mind while still be relatively cheap.

No. These guys are NOT giving you good advice at ALL. Using Amsoil ALM 5W-20 will NOT void your warranty. They just don't understand - they try to come off as warranty experts, but they are not. Amsoil did not dupe you. Make the guys here show you the Ford list. You are correct, you would have some warranty difficulties if you used the wrong viscosity and had an engine problem related to the oil.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Using Amsoil ALM 5W-20 will NOT void your warranty.

With all due respect Pablo, nobody has said his warranty will be void. What was said was that if he suffers a lubrication related issue, Ford may be playing hardball if non-approved lubricant was used.

Quote:

You are correct, you would have some warranty difficulties if you used the wrong viscosity and had an engine problem related to the oil.

OP's owner's manual clearly states engine oil requirements: WSS-M2C945-A with API Certification Mark.

Does Amsoil SS 5w-20 carry an API certification logo?

for some, using Amsoil, or other boutique oils, might be a leap of faith. Certification requires alot of cost; and for a while, Amsoil got their XL line certified. (I don't believe that they do anymore) funny thing is, Amsoil's XL line was their lowest line of oil (at the time). In recent testing by PQIA, they stated that Amsoil met their testing specifications for viscosity and contents - although they did add that their testing is not the same as API certification. from my experience (with a friend who was a service manager at a Dodge dealer for 20+ years) their main qualification for determining warranty work on the engine was that there was not significant sludge in the engine. I know that they rebuilt many engines and did not normally ask for proof of maintenance as long as the engine was clean inside. Now, if they found sludge, it didnt matter what type of records you personally had: unless your oil changes were done at their dealer and/or very well documented, you would not get warranty work. at another engine shop that I have used, they always run a used oil analysis before warrantying an oil-related failure - but I have never heard of anyone being declined on the bases of the finer points of oil certification.

I might add that I proudly use Amsoil, and have for many years, and have no concerns about warranty coverage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
for some, using Amsoil, or other boutique oils, might be a leap of faith. Certification requires alot of cost; and for a while, Amsoil got their XL line certified. (I don't believe that they do anymore) funny thing is, Amsoil's XL line was their lowest line of oil (at the time). In recent testing by PQIA, they stated that Amsoil met their testing specifications for viscosity and contents - although they did add that their testing is not the same as API certification. from my experience (with a friend who was a service manager at a Dodge dealer for 20+ years) their main qualification for determining warranty work on the engine was that there was not significant sludge in the engine. I know that they rebuilt many engines and did not normally ask for proof of maintenance as long as the engine was clean inside. Now, if they found sludge, it didnt matter what type of records you personally had: unless your oil changes were done at their dealer and/or very well documented, you would not get warranty work. at another engine shop that I have used, they always run a used oil analysis before warrantying an oil-related failure - but I have never heard of anyone being declined on the bases of the finer points of oil certification.

I might add that I proudly use Amsoil, and have for many years, and have no concerns about warranty coverage.

Both Amsoil OE and XL are API certified. The PQI reference was the VOA on the Signature Series 5w-30. PQI also did a VOA on OE 5w-30.

The truck is a 2004 Ford Ranger 4.0 SOHC with 129,000 miles on odometer and I’m the 3rd owner. I just put the Amsoil SS 0w-30 in today along with a new Motorcraft filter. The truck does get short tripped every day because I live 2 miles from work. I tend to use the remote start a few minutes before I leave for work and it typically never gets up to operating temperature before I get to work . The truck is pretty much my winter beater unless I’m going to some crazy off the beaten path fishing hole in the summer where a truck is needed. I guess my question with the truck is this: What should I start my OCI at since it sees so much short tripping? Should I do UOA’s on the oil to determine that? If so, when? 3000 miles/3 months?

Now onto the car, a 2013 Mustang Gt
wink.gif
that has about 14500 miles on it. It too gets short tripped but only in the summer and I definitely stretch out her legs about 3-4 times a week. I bought Amsoil SS 5w-20 for it to stay warranty friendly. Now my question for this car: It has a Oil Life Monitor on it, should I just follow that since the Amsoil SS definitely exceeds the recommended Motorcraft oil? Or, should I be sampling this oil as well?

I wouldn't sample either. Doesn't seem like you put a lot of miles on the truck. Change it once a year. You could do the same with M1 up to 10,000 miles. If you do less than 12,000 a year use a different oil and save the money.

On the mustang, use the OLM. Do an UOA if you choose to go beyond it. Or use Amsoil XL, M1, QSUD, or PP, follow the OLM and not be concerned with Warranty at all. Not that it would issue with SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back