MMO and not flashing off in oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know others have reported using MMO in the oil and not seeing MMO flash off during the OCI. I too have seen this in my lawn mower. I use 25% MMO with conventional 5W30 in my 4-cycle B&S 6.5 HP engines. I have never seen a drop in oil level on these engines and I know they operate very hot.

I think MMO has a relatively low flash point that should be below some of these operating temperatures in oil. What would keep it from flashing off?

In my Camry 5sfe it doesn't seem to drop at all, if I add 20% MMO to my 1,000 before an oil change it doesn't seem to drop at all, granted this is during the winter, I think mixing it with host oil has to have a large effect on the flash point, that's the only thing I can think of.

I run mmo in my snowblower gas and the last driveway or two I do before an oil change I add some. I too don't think it's flashing off but two hours in the sump is most likely not enough time. so I'm no help. But I'm curious to find out more on the subject.

I use MMO every oil change, and I never see any drop in volume throughout the OCI. I have never had it "flash off" in any vehicles that I know of.

I have had it do both. Have not figured out if there is a circumstance connection yet, like heat for example.

I've used it many times for entire OCI's and the level stayed full. A few times I had to add a bit of oil to top it up, but that was the exception, not the norm. Maybe flashing off was a catchy phrase that caught on on the Internet.

It's hard to tell if it is flashing off or not since many of us had no oil use with it in the sump for an entire OCI. I think what's happening in cars where the oil level drops is, maybe the rings were sticking a bit and the slightly thinner mix causes some oil to get past the rings. In engines were the rings are nice and clean, stem seals and guides are good people don't experience any oil loss at all. JMO

Wat is the purpose of MMO in a clean engine? I do use it in fuel once in a while, but oil. No.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Wat is the purpose of MMO in a clean engine? I do use it in fuel once in a while, but oil. No.

There's no purpose to add it to the oil of a "clean" engine.

What is the flash point of MMO? I know it has been posted here before but I am having trouble finding it.

I think it's in the VOA section somewhere. Wouldn't really be relevant though IMO as it is going to change dramatically when the final composition is 75 to 80 percent motor oil as recommended.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: tig1

Unless you want to keep the engine clean...
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Unless you want to keep the engine clean...
cool.gif

You mean like all my engines where I've never used MMO?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I think it's in the VOA section somewhere. Wouldn't really be relevant though IMO as it is going to change dramatically when the final composition is 75 to 80 percent motor oil as recommended.

So you are assuming the MMO changes at the molecular level when mixed? I had assumed the MMO was more like suspended elements mixed with the oil.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

So you are assuming the MMO changes at the molecular level when mixed? I had assumed the MMO was more like suspended elements mixed with the oil.

MMO is oil based, it is going to blend in with the oil. MoS2 on the other hand would more likely use the oil as a "carrier" being a solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back