Charged by dealership for warrantied repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dernp
If the dealership won't cooperate this time, tell them you are taking this story to the media. This is clearly a case of elder abuse.

Get the dealer to settle up with you then report it anyway.
It is clearly elder abuse and I bet your mother isn't/wasn't the only one taken advantage of.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Olas
The elderly aren't stupid, or disabled. They're perfectly capable of reading so interpreting the warranty shouldn't be any problem.
Also, they've had more time than us to figure out that dealerships are crooked.

If you ask me, they're just to [censored] lazy check anything
(anything includes warranty cover, TSBs, vehicle condition bothe before AND after its been worked on, and any other work carried it in the last 12 months or so.

But when you're so old you retire, kids have grown up and moved, lots of friends and family have died, boredom sets in HARD! My elderly father had a three month 'feud' with a clothing store because he bought the wrong size shirt from them. Whereas a normal person with time limits and a busy schedule would just exchange it, he made phone calls, wrote letters and ven threatened legal action against the store (frivolously) Old people need hobbies.

Your partially correct....but some elderly people are not as sharp mentally as when they were your age. Brain cells deteriorate-and that's a scientific fact.

My grandmother was razor-sharp mentally even at 90...but she knew NOTHING about cars. I truly do not think she had ever learned to pump gas until she was 60+. (My uncle, my wife and I dealt with any mechanical work.)

I don't think it is elderly abuse....it is uninformed consumer abuse bordering on fraud. I would make one call to the dealer and tell them you are filing a complaint with the State Attorney General unless they cut you refunds for all of questionable charges that day.

If it should have been under warranty, by all means go to the dealer and show it to them. it is very on a Ford for a dealer to tell when a part is under warranty or not.

Honest question here, what is the statute of limitations on taking legal action for something like this?

thank God my Loving Mom Is Still in great shape in her mid 80's and still thinks clearly
I have my own business and don't take advantage of the elderly.. What goes around comes around and for me its still coming around from when i was much younger it seems..

I'm not elderly, but I have recieved two mail reminders and three phone calls asking me to schedule a time to get my timing belt because it's past due. My engine uses a chain. The car's VIN was on the mailed reminder.

I guess the underlying issue is-Why do some people even trust dealers? A great example is your owner's manual maintenance schedule-and then there is the "Dealers recommended maintenance schedule".

Does the dealer know more than the manufacturer? Most people are not taken in by such antics-elderly or not.

Originally Posted By: Olas

But when you're so old you retire, kids have grown up and moved, lots of friends and family have died, boredom sets in HARD! My elderly father had a three month 'feud' with a clothing store because he bought the wrong size shirt from them. Whereas a normal person with time limits and a busy schedule would just exchange it, he made phone calls, wrote letters and ven threatened legal action against the store (frivolously)

Old people need hobbies.

Yeah, My Dad did the same thing after Mom passed. It was with his Honda he bought the year prior. Was going through papers and found out he paid $1k for "Window Etching". Was furious and did the yelling, threatening thing, etc. I told him it was his fault for not reading the papers he was signing....

Originally Posted By: CKN
I guess the underlying issue is-Why do some people even trust dealers? A great example is your owner's manual maintenance schedule-and then there is the "Dealers recommended maintenance schedule".

Does the dealer know more than the manufacturer? Most people are not taken in by such antics-elderly or not.

All depends on the dealer. My Ford dealer, I do trust them as their maintenance schedules are not that far off from the book. The only thing they recommend that is not in the book is trans flushes every 30k. For me, IMHO it's cheap insurance even though Ford says 100k. If anything, I was a little miffed that at the 60k service they didn't change the cabin air filter and it was NASTY after 60k. But I did that myself.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
I'm not elderly, but I have recieved two mail reminders and three phone calls asking me to schedule a time to get my timing belt because it's past due. My engine uses a chain. The car's VIN was on the mailed reminder.

In the US I would send that to my State Attorney General. I'm sure you have the equivalent up North there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back