2004 Murcielago, Motorcraft 5W-20 with 1,000 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linda’s 2004 Murcielago, now with about 13,000 miles. I put Motorcraft 5W-20 in and was going to leave it in longer but an oil filter leak at the gasket was causing a spot on the garage floor. This is a know issue with thier filters. I reluctantly changed the oil and filter early.

The oil had only 1,000 miles on it.

Driving was almost exclusively around town.

I like Motorcraft 5W-20 oil and this sample indicates to me it is a worthy oil.

Iron - 4 (stable at 4 per 1,000 miles)
Copper - 26 (trending down)
Nickel - 1
Aluminum - 2
Tin, Lead, Chromium, Titanium, Silver, Barium, Antimony, Vanadium, Soot, Glycol - all 0.
Silicon - 3
Sodium - 5
Potas - 1
Boron - 165
Calcium - 1535
Magnesium - 82
Zinc - 871
Phos - 991
Moly - 65

Vis. 40C - 41
Vis. 100C - 7.5
VI - 153

TAN - 1.5, TBN - 6.6, Flash - 250
Oxidation - 12, Nitration - 6
KF water - 1817

Test per Terry Dyson

aehaas

You adding ZDP? - the Phos is out of range for ILSAC GF limit (800PPM). My neighbor in the 80s had an ESPADA GT400 in his collection w/ the glass roof.
tmm-2014-klima-lounge-10036-1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: berniedd
I'm a cheap tightwad. I would've caught the oil, filtered it through a strainer made of several laminates of tissue paper, and reused it.

Tightwads don't own a Murcielago.

That car would keep you up at night.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Tightwads don't own a Murcielago.

makes sense, its not worth the money, not very practical either.

You put motorcraft in a murcielago?? Not even a full synthetic? Wow. Very interesting. it seems that this application would benefit best from a fully synthetic, high grade oil. Don't get me wrong, I use motorcraft all the time, but a car like this deserves a royal purple, Amsoil, etc.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
You put motorcraft in a murcielago?? Not even a full synthetic? Wow. Very interesting. it seems that this application would benefit best from a fully synthetic, high grade oil. Don't get me wrong, I use motorcraft all the time, but a car like this deserves a royal purple, Amsoil, etc.

lol that sounds so naive.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

How do you figure? It is a Lamborghini! A luxury sports car with an engine that still Embodies the pinnacle of automotive engineering. And it is being fed a semi synthetic motorcraft oil! You don't buy a lambo to feed it wal mart oil or fill it with 87 octane Kroger gas!!!
sick.gif

I think the UOA indicates Motorcraft is a top oil. Developed for Ford, don't you think it had extensive R&D done on this oil for such a large automaker?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
What is the longest OCI you've run with xW20 on your exotics?

If I recall correctly this is the first time he's run a real 20 grade oil the previous fill was Redline 5w20/0w20 which was really a 30 grade.

For probably 10,000 to 11,000 total miles this car was run on 0W-20 Mobil 1, 5W-20 Red Line and 5W-20 Renewable Lubricants. Just previous to this Motorcraft was RLI 0W-20.

aehaas

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
For probably 10,000 to 11,000 total miles this car was run on 0W-20 Mobil 1, 5W-20 Red Line and 5W-20 Renewable Lubricants. Just previous to this Motorcraft was RLI 0W-20.

aehaas

Thanks for the clarification

Does Linda baby the car or does she make it beg for Murci?

What is the oil capacity? Is this full synthetic or blend?

Linda hammers our cars more than I do, no baby stuff. She is very tuned in to her cars. For example, if the tire pressure is 36 instead of 42 psi she will complain bitterly saying the car is mushy and not safe (or something as that).

She told me last night that she was glad we changed the oil back to RLI 0W-20 as the car "feels" better now. It holds 14 qts.

It is the Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W-20.

aehaas

Last edited:

Lol. RP and Amsoil made it on the list. That's hilarious. Not knocking Amsoil, but an extended interval is the last thing I'd do to a car like this.

The MC blend seems to be holding up well for a "WM oil." This truly is good to know. FYI, WM now sells RP too.
crackmeup2.gif

I ask about the OCI since the oil might experience sheering.

A fresh xW20 might be close in viscosity to a higher weight oil (30 or 40) that has been in service for a couple thousand miles.

I expect some tolerance in the motor for the viscosity that can be used, and wonder if during a longer OCI does the viscosity get simply too low.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Lol. RP and Amsoil made it on the list. That's hilarious. Not knocking Amsoil, but an extended interval is the last thing I'd do to a car like this.

The MC blend seems to be holding up well for a "WM oil." This truly is good to know. FYI, WM now sells RP too.
crackmeup2.gif

I'm not recommending an extended OCI in this vehicle, rather using these oils for their superior additive packages. And I know Walmart sells RP. That is where I buy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back