House brand AGM batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Jeep is due for another battery. Currantly has an Optima. Many people are not happy with Optima's quality lately.

I only want a sealed battery. My off roading and dirt roads make the wet batteries leak. The sealed batteries dont corrode the cables.

Oriley,A-Zone,Napa etc all have store brand AGM batteries for quite a bit cheaper than an optima. PB has a sealed Bosch battery.

Any info on the store brands?

Oriley just told me that its made by JC. I can get a deka from battery mart a few dollars cheaper. Everybody only offers a 2-3 yr warranty with no prorate except for PB. They offer a 75 month prorate.

The optima in the jeep is 4yrs 2months since built. It was pretty fresh when I bought it so maybe 4 yrs of use.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-au...mp;blockType=G7

Happy Jeep
cool.gif

How about a diehard platinum? 4 year non-prorate warranty.

about 200-250$

I didn't see Dave's post when I replied.

That's the one. Usually you can get 10% off automotive coupon as well.

IIRC its a rebadged odyssey AGM

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

Last edited:
Diehard Platinum is an Enersys Odyssey.

If you have Batteries Plus in your area, their "X2Power" AGM is a re-labelled Deka. I've got both in different vehicles, no problems to date with either type.

Napa should be Deka. Most of our industrial accounts have stopped using Optima's and switch over to Napa/Deka AGM with good luck. They are atleast in the midwest.

Dave

440Magnum said:
Diehard Platinum is an Enersys Odyssey.

If you have Batteries Plus in your area, their "X2Power" AGM is a re-labelled Deka. I've got both in different vehicles, no problems to date with either type.

[/quote

I installed one of the Die Hard Platnums in my Crown Vic! Great Battery!

Sears is just so far away from me plus that involves going to the mall which we hate. With my discount I'm looking @$140 for one from the auto parts stores.

I'm firmly in the "brand is irrelevant" camp.

Buy the battery with the longest non pro rated warranty. Then it's up to you and your budget...

The Batteries plus X2power is a Northstar AGM battery. Batteries plus adds another year of warranty to the non marine versions.

I am pretty sure Northstar is not a Subsidiary of Eastpenn/Deka.

Anyway I have a group 27m Northstar. I am very impressed with its cranking ability and the voltage it holds when deep cycling.

Only 14 months old though.

Might need a 50% discharge and high rate recharge to get that 13.0+ resting voltage. Mine would not get above 12.84 rested until I did a ~50% discharge and 25 amp recharge until amps tapered to 0.5 at 14.7v.
My Northstar resting voltage is 13.06V and it held that for 3 weeks over the holidays powering only the engine computer.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
I am pretty sure Northstar is not a Subsidiary of Eastpenn/Deka.

They are an independent company, formed by a group of techs/workers who left EnerSys.

But, ironically enough, I heard rumors about 1.5 years ago that there was an attempt by EnerSys to buy them out.

I don't know what has happened, or the latest news on the above.
Anyone know??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
a lot of the sears diehard are made by Johnson COntrols

The Golds and Silvers, yes.

The Platinums (at least the current ones on the shelf) are made by EnerSys,

But from what I've heard from the store managers I've spoken to, not for too much longer, as they are supposedly dropping the EnerSys sub contract for their Platinum lineup soon, sadly enough.
frown.gif

(They have already dropped the less popular/slower moving sizes from the EnerSys built, Platinum line, i.e.; 75/35.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back