KOITO to Release the World’s First Single-LED.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
KOITO MANUFACTURING CO., LTD. (“KOITO”) (Head Office: Minato-ku, Tokyo; President:
Masahiro Otake) announces that it has developed and started mass-producing the world’s first
single-LED, bi-functional projector headlamp capable of switching the high (driving) beam and
low (passing) beam on a single LED.

Featuring such advantages as quick turn-on, very visible white glow, long-life, and low power
consumption, LED headlamps are an extremely safe and environmentally-friendly light source.
To enable this lamp technology to be used in an expanded variety of motor vehicles, KOITO has
developed a single-LED, bi-functional projector (LED unit).

So far, the high beam and low beam functions of LED headlamps have been realized using
separate LED units (i.e., two LED units). Performing the two functions with a single LED, our
newly-developed product presents revolutionized optical systems, incorporating the high beam
and low beam functions in a much compacter single LED unit.

http://www.koito.co.jp/english/pdf/news/20141119.pdf

The automobiles manufacturers will love the extra space gained in the front end from removing one of the headlamp assemblies. You can always use room in the front of the car.

The winter package is going to need to include a heater to keep snow and ice from blocking the headlight.

BSW

From the article:
"KOITO will promote this newly-developed, single-LED, bi-functional projector as its standard LED unit. Starting with delivery for the Toyota Motor Corporation Prius α model (in the market in November 2014*), KOITO will roll out the product worldwide."

That Prius model is the Prius Alpha, known here in N America as the Prius V (and the Prius + in other parts of the world), it appears these units are already on the 2015MY Prius V(Alpha/+)

(Photos do confirm the 2015 model has a single projector lamp.)

I'm no fan of the giant plastic headlight systems that come on cars these days, but I'm not really a fan of the single element approach either. I'd prefer a setup with improved devices and optics that ran like the old 5 3/4 setups where on low, one set illuminated, and on high, both did.

I'm all for freed space and whatnot, but throwing more light is preferable, and I always have liked how the dual setups did it, especially with e-codes which have better beam patterns.

The best lights I've ever driven with are those on my 2004 saab 9-3.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'm no fan of the giant plastic headlight systems that come on cars these days, but I'm not really a fan of the single element approach either. I'd prefer a setup with improved devices and optics that ran like the old 5 3/4 setups where on low, one set illuminated, and on high, both did.

I'm all for freed space and whatnot, but throwing more light is preferable, and I always have liked how the dual setups did it, especially with e-codes which have better beam patterns.

The best lights I've ever driven with are those on my 2004 saab 9-3.
BMW stuck with the 4 five and three quartes for decades. It allowed aim of each unit. Peugeot had a nice four lamp version with a 5 and 3/4 SPOT high on the driver side. Only thing about the car I liked.

Last edited:
If nothing else, you have to love the Japanglish.
These units will no doubt represents a cost savings over a four lamp system for the cars they're used on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back