1989 ford e150 tranny problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a ford camper van for $130. The tranny works fine in first, second, and reverse. In drive it goes forward but the engine starts to rev and the vehicle doesn't go very fast. The shifter stick is loose. I was thinking about throwing some seafoam transtune in there and hope for a miracle. Maybe something is sticking and the seafoam will clean it out. It drives fine in second gear but of course it will only get up to about to 35 mph. I know it's going to need a new tranny as it is a high mileage vehicle, but I'd probably be using it for local camping, driving maybe a few hundred miles a year if that.

If I can't get the tranny straightened out I'll part it out, sell the fridge, and take it to the auto wrecker

For the loose shifter handle, there is a tube, plunger, and tube bushings in the column that are super common to go out on any column shifter Ford.

3 speed. If it's in drive it doesn't shift. The vehicle drives slowly, and the engine revs up. First and second gear are ok...

Originally Posted By: dino33
Thank you. Will do. I'll have to try to find a Haynes or maybe some pics on the web...

Pretty straight-forward. There should be a vacuum line going from the transmission to the vacuum tree in the engine bay, IIRC. And the TV cable runs parallel to the throttle cable. It is adjustable. It should be at its limit at WOT.

You have the C6 transmission. Check for worn out grommets on the gear shift linkage for looseness. Also, the vacuum line runs down to the rear of the transmission. It connects to the vacuum modulator. Pull the line off of the modulator and if transmission fluid comes out, you have a bad vacuum modulator.Easy to change, watch out for a small rod which you reinstall onto the new part. Have a drain pan handy as fluid will pour out when you remove the modulator. Top off fluid when done.

Direct clutches likely toasted. Any slippage in reverse? The TV pressure is a lot higher in reverse and may cover up a direct slip, but you can try.

Thanks a lot guys. It drives fine in reverse. I was out goofing around with the van last night. The fridge and furnace actually work! I'm hoping for a miracle. I will follow your recommendations and I might even try a bottle or two of Lucas Transfix as a long shot...

Ok, I found the modulator and it's line. They appear to be in clean functional shape and attached. Is it possible that the modulator is plugged or not working properly? Would it be worthwhile to replace it even though it looks ok?

Oh by the way the fluid is about 70-80% brown with some red coloring to it. I have smelled it and it doesn't smell burnt but then again I've never smelled burned fluid before so not sure...

Originally Posted By: dino33
Ok, I found the modulator and it's line. They appear to be in clean functional shape and attached. Is it possible that the modulator is plugged or not working properly? Would it be worthwhile to replace it even though it looks ok?

Oh by the way the fluid is about 70-80% brown with some red coloring to it. I have smelled it and it doesn't smell burnt but then again I've never smelled burned fluid before so not sure...

If no fluid ran out when you pulled the line off the modulator, it's fine.Use the money for a fluid change.Don't use Lucas, go with the correct Lubeguard product, probably red.I would change the fluid first and clean the filter screen.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I took off the transmission modulator and the valve inside the modulator was missing! I'm hoping after I put a new one in she'll be good to go!

A few questions...

#1 Do I need a new filter pan gasket or can I use the old one?

#2 When I went to the auto parts store they asked me what color band the modulator on the van was. I showed it to them and we could not make out any color bands. There were two options for the c-6 econovan '89... 1... Green band. or 2... purple, brown, or (I forget the other color). The recommended the green band, so I bought it. What do the different colors do? Will it effect the tranny if I get the wrong color? Should I go ask tehe guys at Aamco for a second opinion?

#3 When I took the modulator valve assembly off the one bolt that holds the assembly in place broke :-(. Does it need to be bolted in or can it work just plugged in. Can I secure it another way?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully this thread will help some one else as well.

The van drives fine in first and second. It must have been a bad modulator valve that effected the drive gear. Things are looking brighter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back