The only 205/75 15 is a GT Radial Champiro VP1??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I picked up a 2001 Sonoma that needs some tires. The size is 205/75R15 and I didn't think this would be a big deal until I started shopping. What used to be one of the most popular tire sizes is now impossible to find and all the major tire companies no longer make tires in this size!

The only thing I have found is a GT Radial Champiro VP1 at Discount Tire. It's a Chinese tire
mad.gif

Nothing at Costco, even tried Sam's and a few others. Found a Hankook H724 online but I was told it has been discontinued.

Anyone know anything about this tire? Hoping to buy at DT while they have their Prez Day offer running.

I have GT Radial Champiro VP1s on my Focus. In my opinion, I think they are one of the better lower cost tires out there.

This doesn't help at all, but for what it's worth, the parent company of GT Radials, Giti tires will be opening up a new plant in Chester, SC which did factor into my decision to buy.

I did quite a bit of research prior to buying and all signs (and reviews I've read) point to a good tire.

As far as my tires, I've had them for about 3 weeks and so far, so good.

Not sure if any of this helps, but that's my .02.

found these on TR.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&performance=ALL&width=205%2F&ratio=75&diameter=15

Maybe call DT and see what they can get thats not on the website.

NOT true!

Here are some tires available in the size 205/75-15:
General Grabber AT2
Kumho Solus KR21
Hankook Optimo H724
Kumho Sense
Goodyear Assurance All-Season

The Champiro is also NOT the only tire Discount carries! Remember, Discount will install tires from Discount Tire Direct. DTD has the first three from the above list.

Walmart has the Goodyear Viva 2 and the newer Viva 3

The Goodyear Assurance and Grabber AT2 are both US-made.

I like the 225-70-15 best as a replacement for the OE 205-75's! But,this is just me! Have used the 225 in place of the 205's on many S-10's. They work very well, look frikken Great and there is a decent(though, only decent) selection of tires.

DiscountTireDirect has a better selection.

Last edited:
215 or 225 will work real good on Ur truck. I got a great deal on kumho in the 215 from America's tire on my s10. Works great in dry and wet

dishdude,

1)Do you have a price range that you'd like to stay within?
2)Is your vehicle a keeper, used everyday, work or pleasure????
3)Would you want to spend money on extra wheels???
4)Are you just looking for a tire(any tire) just because you need tires?
5)Truck tire, performance tire or passenger car tire?

Need more info!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Looks like there is a Uniroyal Tiger Paw and a Kumho Solus KR21 available through my vendor. They are tirebuyer.com to the public.

Tiger paws (Touring) would be sweet on that truck!

As already mentioned, Discount Tire can order a bunch of tires you don't see on their website.

For example, I bought Cooper CS5 from my local Discount Tire. They ordered them and said they came from a Discount Tire Direct warehouse.

They matched the DTD price on them. I also could have ordered them from DTD and had my local DT mount them.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
15 inch tires are disappearing. Better off with a wheel upgrade to go with your tires.

Not necessary.

The local DT is going to order in a set of Hankook H724s that are $66/ea and I am going to go back on Friday when the President's Day sale is going on to have them installed. $75 off on the set!

I did consider bumping up to 215/70 15, but since these were available I went with them.

Usually I would buy house brand Coopers in this circumstance - something like a Mastercraft...but no luck.

The truck has over 200k on it so I am not looking to invest a ton of money into new wheels or super expensive tires, just want something decent. The truck is in good shape, and will mainly be used to go back and forth to Home Depot picking up bulky stuff that is too big to fit in the car.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The local DT is going to order in a set of Hankook H724s that are $66/ea and I am going to go back on Friday when the President's Day sale is going on to have them installed. $75 off on the set!

I did consider bumping up to 215/70 15, but since these were available I went with them.

Usually I would buy house brand Coopers in this circumstance - something like a Mastercraft...but no luck.

The truck has over 200k on it so I am not looking to invest a ton of money into new wheels or super expensive tires, just want something decent. The truck is in good shape, and will mainly be used to go back and forth to Home Depot picking up bulky stuff that is too big to fit in the car.
Great deal, if you finance it with a Discount Tire card (you can pay it off right away at 0% interest) and get an additional $75 off.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Great deal, if you finance it with a Discount Tire card (you can pay it off right away at 0% interest) and get an additional $75 off.

Thanks for the heads up! I might just do this.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
NOT true!

Here are some tires available in the size 205/75-15:
General Grabber AT2
Kumho Solus KR21
Hankook Optimo H724
Kumho Sense
Goodyear Assurance All-Season

The Champiro is also NOT the only tire Discount carries! Remember, Discount will install tires from Discount Tire Direct. DTD has the first three from the above list.

Walmart has the Goodyear Viva 2 and the newer Viva 3

The Goodyear Assurance and Grabber AT2 are both US-made.

Can't speak for the Viva 3 but the Viva 2 is pretty bad. I had a set of 4 on an S10; noisy ride and the treads were just about toast after 30k, and they were always properly inflated and were rotated regularly.
Tiger Paws and the Kumho Solus are both good and cheap for a truck with that mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back