New Blizzak for 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference between this and the WS80 that just came out? Other than one being made for larger vehicles, what is the actual physical difference?

Not a dramatic, huge difference (such as asymmetric vs directional) but they still look different to me. Different tread design, and different internal construction.

If they want to send a set to me to test on my Jeep next winter, I'd be more than happy
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Great tire from the industry leader in winters.

Are you serious? On biggest market for winter tires (that would be Europe, not North America) Bridgestone is just average performer. Continental, Semperit, Vredestein, Good Year (Europe), Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin are always performing better.
Problem is, we do not get here those tires. Continental is for 10 years ahead of everyone in winter tires for mid-size cars, but they are keeping those tires away from NA. Dunlop is leader for a long time in high-performance winter tires, and they bring them here, but they are designed mostly for Euro high performance cars.
I have several cars in Europe, driving them in winter on Continetal TS850, Michelin Alpin A4, Good Year Ultra Grip 8, and here in the US I drive one car on Blizzak LM-60 and one on WS-70. They do not come even close to those tires I mentioned.

FYI, I believe all sizes of the older DM-V1 have special close out pricing at TireRack.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Great tire from the industry leader in winters.

Are you serious? On biggest market for winter tires (that would be Europe, not North America) Bridgestone is just average performer. Continental, Semperit, Vredestein, Good Year (Europe), Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin are always performing better.
Problem is, we do not get here those tires. Continental is for 10 years ahead of everyone in winter tires for mid-size cars, but they are keeping those tires away from NA. Dunlop is leader for a long time in high-performance winter tires, and they bring them here, but they are designed mostly for Euro high performance cars.
I have several cars in Europe, driving them in winter on Continetal TS850, Michelin Alpin A4, Good Year Ultra Grip 8, and here in the US I drive one car on Blizzak LM-60 and one on WS-70. They do not come even close to those tires I mentioned.

You can buy most of the same Winters as sold in Finland / Sweden / Russia etc here in Canada, including the ones you specifically mentioned.

If you want you could try an online reseller based in Canada (eg 1010 Tires) to see if you can get them delivered to you in Colorado.

I'm running Continental ExtremeWinterContacts on the PT Cruiser right now; like them for overall. They are not as good as the best winters on glare ice or polished hard pack snow, but come close, and better in all other winter driving conditions.

For the Truck I like Cooper Weatheralls; the Euro-spec Winters in a LT Load Range C or better don't last beyond the second winter, maybe 6,000 miles (10,000 Km).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Continental is for 10 years ahead of everyone in winter tires for mid-size cars, but they are keeping those tires away from NA.

Are you sure about this? I run General (a Continental brand) Altimax Arctic's in the Winter time, and I understand they are the same as the Euro version by another name. As a matter of fact, mine are made in Germany. Are there other Continental's you would like to see brought over?

Great tire by the way, at least for their first Winter and 6,600 miles.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Are you sure about this? I run General (a Continental brand) Altimax Arctic's in the Winter time, and I understand they are the same as the Euro version by another name. As a matter of fact, mine are made in Germany. Are there other Continental's you would like to see brought over?

While Altimax Arctic is a pretty decent winter tire, especially given its price, it's a fairly dated technology based on the old Gislaved Nordfrost 3, which Continental acquired in 1992.

In Europe, Conti has a winter tire called TS850 which has been getting pretty good reviews. I haven't seen it offered in the US yet.

He is referring to the fact that Continental does not bring its latest and greatest performance winters to North America. If we get them at all, it seems to be 3-4 years after their European introduction.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: HangFire
……………...I run General (a Continental brand) Altimax Arctic's in the Winter time, and I understand they are the same as the Euro version by another name. As a matter of fact, mine are made in Germany……...

Same name in Europe:
http://www.generaltire.eu/www/generaltir...imx_arctic.html

"Born in the USA." LOL!

When it comes to Altimax Arctic specifically, that couldn't be further from the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back