Mercedes Benz transmission weld repair(pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This trans is from a MB delivery truck for one of the major Deliver co. They were replacing the trans with this new rebuild when they dropped it(aluminum) and broke off this corner.

Last edited:
That is what is nice about weldable aluminum. I had an engine builder tell me aluminum engine blocks that are damaged can be repaired.

Originally Posted By: CT8
That is what is nice about weldable aluminum. I had an engine builder tell me aluminum engine blocks that are damaged can be repaired.

Yes they can.
I have repaired several small 4 cyl alum blocks that were damaged in wrecks. Some had large holes broken out into the water jacket.

I appreciate the pics over the years.

You have saved a lot of people a LOT of money with your skills.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I appreciate the pics over the years.

You have saved a lot of people a LOT of money with your skills.

Thanks,
This trans was about $2800. The mech that brought it to my shop said he thought for sure they had an expensive boat anchor.

Originally Posted By: flacoman
Well done! Are there issues with oil /fluids filling the metal's pores?

Yes, oil, and other types of contamination is always a problem with most cast material when welding. aluminum, cast iron, bronz, etc.

Last edited:
Great job!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Great job!
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. This is the second trans I repaired in the last three weeks. The other was for a Chevy truck. A rookie tightened the top two bolts on the bell housing when the alignment pins were not aliened with the housing. Broke the top of the bell housing off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back