Why does my truck keep stalling?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, for about the past 3 weeks I've been experiencing my F150 stalling, mostly when coming to a stop. They were spread out, but its nearly everyday now. 2 times it has died hard enough to reset the trip meter and the radio, which seems extreme. CEL is on because I had an 02 sensor go bad, could that be the cause? Also, my brake light came on the other day and my fluid looks a little low. Doubt this has anything to do with it but thought I'd mention it. Also the IAC valve is under 2 years old. Thanks!

So did you already replace the o2 sensor? If you replaced it and the CEL is still on, you have another problem. I'm sure the engine stalling set a code that is unrelated to the o2 sensor. Scan it again and tell us which codes it has.

"2 times it has died hard enough to reset the trip meter and the radio"
I'd check all the power and ground connections starting with the battery and then on to the alternator...

Originally Posted By: exranger06
So did you already replace the o2 sensor? If you replaced it and the CEL is still on, you have another problem. I'm sure the engine stalling set a code that is unrelated to the o2 sensor. Scan it again and tell us which codes it has.

No it hasn't been done yet

Did you scan the computer after this problem began? Or did you scan it, found the o2 sensor code, and some time after that, the stalling problem began?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
New body style or Heritage? If it is the new body style with the 3V 5.4L most likely it is the throttle body.

New body but a 4.6L

Did you scan the computer after this problem began? Or did you scan it, found the o2 sensor code, and some time after that, the stalling problem began?

The issue began after the o2 sensor code

Originally Posted By: wymi516
I'd check all the power and ground connections starting with the battery and then on to the alternator...

Yeah, that's no "ordinary" stall. If its resetting both the trip odo and the radio, its a complete loss of electrical power to the radio, body control module, and possibly the PCM as well. Sounds like a bad connection or ground somewhere.

If the trip meter and stuff are resetting, as another guy said, it is losing power or something is grounding out (like your alternator). I would check your cables first, and grounds.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: wymi516

Yeah, that's no "ordinary" stall. If its resetting both the trip odo and the radio, its a complete loss of electrical power to the radio, body control module, and possibly the PCM as well. Sounds like a bad connection or ground somewhere.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
If the trip meter and stuff are resetting, as another guy said, it is losing power or something is grounding out (like your alternator). I would check your cables first, and grounds.

Yup, I expected it was a grounding/electrical problem. Just wanted to get other opinions before I dug too far into it. Would this be the cause of the 'ordinary" stalls that it experiences too?

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
New body style or Heritage? If it is the new body style with the 3V 5.4L most likely it is the throttle body.

New body but a 4.6L

The issue began after the o2 sensor code

Also fly-by-wire. We don't replace as many on the 4.6 as the 5.4 because there aren't as many out there, at least in my region.

check all connections it sounds electrical maybe a bad battery cable or even battery. It could be under the hood or even under the dash

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I am also thinking bad electrical connection. I'd also like to know the year and mileage.

2004 with 165K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back