Spectro Transmission Oil & Primary Oil For HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening To All,

I installed the Spectro oil product in my 2014 Road King, i. e., their transmission oil, 6 Speed Platinum and also their primary fluid and I have to say I am very pleased with the performance so far.

The clunk shifting from neutral to first quieted quite a bit, not gone, but lessened and the shifts through the gears is very smooth. The transmission is, to state it simply, is quieter and smoother.

I feel their product is superior to Formula +, which I was running before.

You know, I really enjoy my Harley, but I despise the secrecy of Harley as it relates to their oil, filters, etc. Their policy of secrecy makes me feel as if they are hiding something. This is why I would rather use aftermarket products from reputable companies.

Just my thoughts.

RevRider

Harley drivelines are not very picky when it comes to lubricants. I had a few Harleys and have tried different oils from HD, Mobil1, Redline, Shell and BelRay. All worked pretty well.

They do have a secret , 97% of Harley Davidson is made overseas and everyone overlooks assembled in USA ,,,,as made in USA

Harley is quite open about what oil of theirs they recommend. What strikes me funny is in my manual they recommend a motor oil with a SG API rating. But if you look at their oil, there is no API rating of any kind on their bottles. Or any other brand of motorcycle specific oil. They also recommend using Diesel oil if you need oil and Harley oil isn't available.The truth is Harley doesn't own a refinery or make and blend its oil, they sub it out to they lowest bidder. And for years it's been Citgo. Sure their oil works, maybe just not as good as other brands do. They do have a micron spec for their oil filters, they just don't print it on their box. I use their filters because I don't want to trust anyone's opinion about what works, over what I know works.There's a chart that is posted up alot here that has cross references that aren't correct fitment, based on micron rating requirements.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I use their filters because I don't want to trust anyone's opinion about what works, over what I know works.

I don't think you'll be happy sticking around on this forum too much longer if thats your mentality.

Syn 3 and formula+ are too thin at operating temp in the tRanny and bearing failure is common.
I used redline shockproof heavy in my tranny. No clunk anymore. Shifts engage with the softests little click now and shift lever gear engagement feels lighter on my toe.
It's shearproof so will never loose operating viscosity and insure problem free reliable operation for the long term.
Nothing else is redline.
And I use Rotella in the engine and primary.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I use their filters because I don't want to trust anyone's opinion about what works, over what I know works.

I don't think you'll be happy sticking around on this forum too much longer if thats your mentality.
I've been around here a few years and I'm happy for the most part, but thanks for your concern for my happiness. This list is why I don't take it as gospel when someone says I use this filter because it's cheap and it screws on.Harleys from the '80's don't use the same filters on their 2k model years even tho this clown says they will fit., http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html
HARLEY-DAVIDSON

XL Sportster 1984-2007 [3] KH, XLH Sportster 1954-1978 STP P7020
FL, FLH 1953-1982 STP P7020 FX (All Models) 1983-1987 [3]
FX (All Models) 1971-1982 STP P7020 FXE,FXS,FXWG 1982-1986 [6]
Evo 80" 1984-1999 [3] 88" 1999-2006 [3]
96" 2007- [3] V-Rod (all years) [5]

Last edited:
You mentioned the Spectro in the other thread you started about the Formula+. I used their 2 stroke oil way back in the 70's and never had an oil related failure. I'm sure it is a fine oil and will work great in your new Harleys primary and 6 speed transmission.

Why not use Spectro Platinum 4 Ultra in the engine? Although not an HD mechanic, the master tech at the Ducati dealership I use swears by it for use in Ducs both air cooled and liquid.

Originally Posted By: heyu
They do have a secret , 97% of Harley Davidson is made overseas and everyone overlooks assembled in USA ,,,,as made in USA

That is absolutely not true.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Syn 3 and formula+ are too thin at operating temp in the tRanny and bearing failure is common.
I used redline shockproof heavy in my tranny. No clunk anymore. Shifts engage with the softests little click now and shift lever gear engagement feels lighter on my toe.
It's shearproof so will never loose operating viscosity and insure problem free reliable operation for the long term.
Nothing else is redline.
And I use Rotella in the engine and primary.

If you are a Rotella user try the 85w140 Rotella dino gear oil in the trans for $6.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back