need battery recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
My old truck has been turning over slow every now and then after I have driven it and try to start it again
Not every time though
I have a 4 yr old Maxx from WM
I am going to get it tested and I want to know some opinions on brands to get and what to stay away from
Thanks

stay away from anything EXIDE or private label EXIDE.

If you have an advance autoparts nearby (93 in texas)

they have good deals with their coupons.

Order online use 50$ off 125$ coupon select pickup instore.

Last edited:
Only three major battery companies in the US, Johnson Controls, Exide, and East Penn. Many say East Penn is the best of the lot. I'd study the replacement charts and get the biggest one which will fit in the battery box, but length, width and height control, as well as terminal location.

Well 4 yr for a battery in the heat of TX is probably not too bad. The MAXX gets top of the list for most group sizes by Consumer Reports. In NY the MAXX batteries I have and have seen are JCI. But they could source batteries from more than JCI for different regions of the country.

Heat blanket for the battery?

Get the CCA that is listed in the owners manual, not the most you can find. Go up if what you need is not available. Generally more CCA in same footprint means thinner and weaker plates.

Last edited:
Hello, People elect to love or hate a battery name for their own reasons.
The upping and downing of thumbs often conflict.
I feel we're as much subject to individual quality control hiccoughs as line quality.

I like "yellow top" Duralast batteries from AutoZone. They're by Johnson Controls.

My sister likely killed one. I learned of it in month 35 of the 36 free replacement period.
The AutoZone people exchanged it on my say-so. No quibbling of any kind.
I explained the voltages (at rest, during cranking and while running after a jump).
In fact, there was essentially no talking at all. "Yes ma'am" was all they said. Kira

I had an Interstate battery last over 8 years.
Never a problem from below zero to over 100 degrees.
It was even nice enough to give me one week notice (slow cranking) before it quit.

Originally Posted By: Rand
If you have an advance autoparts nearby (93 in texas)

they have good deals with their coupons.

Order online use 50$ off 125$ coupon select pickup instore.

+1 Use code WD56 at checkout to get $50 off $125. Good thru Sat. 2/14

Fwiw, I'd pay the extra to go for the Autocraft Gold and get the extra year on the warranty.

Your Everstart Maxx from Walmart should still be under warranty, in which case you can get credit towards another new battery from Walmart. They have free replacement for 3 years, and then I believe they're prorated out to either 5 or 6 years.

Hi Dallas,

When I lived in Texas, I had good luck with Duralast Gold (AutoZone). I had bad luck with Interstate (I had one die in less than 2 years).

3-4 years on a battery is par for the course in the TX heat - after that, you're on borrowed time.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Your Everstart Maxx from Walmart should still be under warranty, in which case you can get credit towards another new battery from Walmart. They have free replacement for 3 years, and then I believe they're prorated out to either 5 or 6 years.

Yup, check the side pocket for a copy of your receipt. Without receipt the warranty gets worse. But inquire at the store and see what they can do for you.

If it not warrantied I would go with either a Maxx or Champion from Walmart. Not near my favorite store but hard to beat their batteries!

Motorcraft from your local Ford dealer. Should be priced competitively. We've had multiple examples last 8 years.

Sears has the worst batteries and warranties their pro rate is a total scam ...look it up
i like auto zone gold their warranty is great and never had a battery related problem. I get steep discounts on them using my commercial account. Advance is also good

Originally Posted By: Donald
Well 4 yr for a battery in the heat of TX is probably not too bad.

Agreed. Battery failure/fade is related to time at temperature and the higher ambient temperatures accelerate issues...

Ive not had great success with the MAXX, but battery quality/performance does seem to vary from model/group to model/group.

I agree on the AAP code. Also check Costco and WM (there may still be a rated warranty).

Best battery for the money is Walmart made by Johnson Controls. I am currently running one 7 years old.

Advance auto with coupon codes is unbeatable. You get a quality Johnson control battery for much cheaper than anywhere else and if you get the gold you get a full 3 year warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back